Why do you love Science Fiction?

Discussion in 'Sci-Fi Books' started by Shane99X, May 29, 2008.

1. Shane99X

Shane99X Senior Member

I love it because it's about possibilities. Even the dystopic novels show such respect for the mind and spirit of man. We can do anything.

Why do you love sci-fi?

2. themnax

themnax Senior Member

real science fiction, perhapse ironically, because it is after all speculative, has an level of honesty that just isn't found elsewhere.

i mean everything else, the openness, that's there BECAUSE of the honesty, because reality has that openness and real science fiction, i mean that's what it gratifies, has the honesty not to deny that openness.

i mean every narrowness is a pointless distortion, other then of course, where what is known is narrow, not to deny that either, and i think some authors, outside of their writing, as individuals i've met, you know have just as much of that narrowness in their lives and how they deal with others. well some. and some are just the other way around, and you'd pretty much never guess which are which from what they write.

real science fiction defends real science without worshiping it. unlike the sci-fi hollyrude comes up with which don't know from crap unless when it hires a real science fiction person and actually listens to them, which hasn't always been that often.

=^^=
    .../\...

3. h3athrow

h3athrow Member

Because of books like the Ace Double I just read in paperback: "The Star Virus" by Barrington J. Bayley flipped by "Mask of Chaos" by John Jakes. The first was by a libertarian sf writer who just died. The hero had definite anti-statist and individualist tendencies. The second addressed the topic of self-image and how societies don't necessarily represent the inner mores of the people participating in them. Both are great examples of sf that takes on big issues in a speculative way and expresses radical ideas in a fictional setting. I think that's what some of the best sf does, and that's why I love it.

4. offset

offset Senior Member

Because it's less UNreal than reality!

5. Glowstick

Glowstick member

I love how they can catch my attention with their wonderful story telling.

6. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

I would say the writers, with greats like Dick and Vonnegut; but that's unfair, all genres have great writers.
    I would say that being set outside of our world, gives us a more thorough examination of our own world; but that's true of period pieces and fantasy as well.

However, I think it's the mix. Some great writers and works set the tone of the genre (which I wish movie Sci-Fi would try following more +_+), and being sort've fantasy within reality, gives us the most thorough examination of that reality possible.

7. The Statue Thief

The Statue Thief Guest

I read science fiction because real existence is much too boring, and I have an easier time connecting with planets that don't exist.

8. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

The hope that humanity will rise above the ever present evolutionary stumbling blocks and rise to the pursuit of space travel.The fantastic scenarios that the writers come up with.

9. mastercylinder

mastercylinder Banned

dont know why i love it but started at 11 or 12 with it along with comic books----and so much of it has come true its scary----star trek communicators--cell phones----brick orbiting signal bouncers=satellites------and more and more-----art copys reality or reality copies art ---i forget but it seems that reality copies sci-fi---to the letter

10. The Earth

The Earth Om Tare Tutare Ture Svaha

Is Cheech & Chong considered Science fiction? If so I do like Science Fiction.

11. David Vincent

David Vincent Member

I love Sci Fi as i see it as the literature of ideas.

I love Philip K Dick.

My fave novel by him is The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldrich.

12. Duck

Yes!

That's my absolute favorite of his sci-fi works (so far). I really recommend his non-sci-fi, particularly, Puttering About in a Small Land.

13. David Vincent

David Vincent Member

I've never read that one.

We've just moved house,havent found all my books yet.

Somewhere i have Mary and the Giant. I must get it read.

Have you read Ubik? It's another fave of mine.

I'm proud to be a Dickhead:)

14. Duck

No, I've gotten it out from the library in collections, but I've never really heard anything except that it's his most popular on half of the other books of his I've read - I guess I'll check it out after I finish the books I have out =)

15. stevazeno

stevazeno Guest

i love getting the chance to consider other people's dreams and fantasies. I just read Don Elwell's "The Ganymeade Protocol" about a kind of shipborn anarchist commune based on pirate ships articles floating endlessly in the caribbean. I downloaded the thing for like $3 and spent the whole evening and most of this morning figuring out how I could DO that....

I mean, you don't get that from reading economic textbooks......

16. Hjarloprillar

Hjarloprillar Banned

Greets

Dave Vincent. Well i found a fellow.

In 1969 i watched a/11 orbit moon . in a telescope.. Since then i have read near all good spec fiction.
    I get bored saying this.
    With you i can simply say what a Lem is. and a command module.
    How Apollo works.
    And how ramscoops work.
    And fusion bottles.. [though i'm not to good at that]
    Orion is easier. Spit the nuke.. Niven....footfall

Even such as singularities.

be well

Prill
    -------------------\
    why do i love SF
    Because it is not 'science' It is everything. Science IS everything
    SPECULATIVE FICTION. IE What Einstein used to reveal relativity

17. River 1509

River 1509 Member

Because a few things may be the true in the future and this stories are interesting for me. And I even wrote science fiction story calls Genetic Revolution, now unpublished.

18. Gray passenger

Gray passenger Member

Got into at an early age (around 7), since my dad has the biggest sci-fi library that I saw, and it just evolved from there. :) I mean, you find bad sf books, and pretty bad authors, but once you turn in the right direction, it's like the best genre you can read. And you get all others included in it. :)

19. kingofthemoon1313

kingofthemoon1313 Member

I read it because it takes you away to strange new worlds. That's why I read books set in the far future or on different planets but I can't stand zombie/apocalypse type books.

20. falconer

falconer Member

It gives me hopes for the future.