Why do you live there?

Discussion in 'Hip Communities' started by Nebulous, Mar 23, 2020.

1. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

Hotel California.......... Ohiofornia.......Same House Rules....Huh..???...:D

Cheers Glen.

2. Eric!

Eric! Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

You sure there aren’t any Erics! prowling around at night over there?

3. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Ohio doesn't even let you check out any time you like

4. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

yeah, like ty said.

i don't know, it's kind of complicated really. my goal was to get student loan forgiveness through a program that grants said forgiveness after working 10 years full time for a non-profit. so i figured i would get a good 5 year base here and then move up to a better job in a better location in the same industry. now i'm nearing 2 years past that mark and i'm realizing that non-profit work is not really a good fit for me and i don't even want to keep trying to get similar jobs elsewhere. so i'm thinking of a full-on career change, but i'm kind of held hostage by the student loans for another 3 years. so because of all that, i can't just pack up and move; i would either need to move into another full time non-profit job (which i don't want and probably can't get anyway) or into a job that pays twice what i'm making now (which i probably can't get without some sort of further training).

i had just had a first meeting with a career counselor when the world shut down. hopefully she can help me think through all this once things calm down a bit, but it's equally likely that she'll give me the same kind of shitty advice that got me here in the first place.

5. FritzDaKatx2

FritzDaKatx2 Vinegar Taster

Love the desert, it's "off the beaten path" food selection of mesquite pods, various cactus fruits and all, the intense summer heat and every day brings sunrises and sets befitting a postcard.

Haven't "settled" in the ideal spot, 20 minutes to Tucson is at least 15 too quick for me but remote enough for the moment.
    The idea that if I chose to I'd be well within my legal right to walk down the street with a cavalry sword and my Colt SAA strapped to my belt makes me grin too.

6. Bullzaye

Bullzaye Members

Au contraire. (Eh...I think I spelled that right? :neutral:) I left Ohio in 1978, right after graduating H.S.

I got stationed here in Phoenix back in 1987. I knew I loved it right away. I called my parents from a pay phone just outside my apartment...I had been in the state about 2 months, and I remember telling them that I hadn't seen one cloud in the sky, yet.

I moved back here in 1994, after my discharge. I loved the weather, the "big city" conveniences, with a "small town" feel, and the fact that I could drive a half an hour out into the desert, and be able to safely shoot at targets that were 300, 500, or even 1000 yards distance! And, that same year, they passed a concealed carry law, so that was cool, too.

But...things have changed here, unfortunately. In 1990, Phoenix's population was just under a million, and with its suburbs, was around 1.7 million. As of 2016, Phoenix was at 1.56 million, 4.5 million in the greater Metropolitan area...probably pushing 5 million right now. The place is getting overcrowded, overpriced, and the political climate seems to be changing. They built houses out in the desert, at all of my old shooting spots. I'd like to move to South Dakota...or maybe Idaho.

7. everything bagel

everything bagel Banned

It's where I grew up and I haven't assembled the resources to leave yet. In other words pure circumstance (ps Coronavirus may expedite or postpone my inevitable move)

Also I'm addicted to my mom

8. Pete's Draggin'

Pete's Draggin' Visitor

There were a few unsubstantiated sightings of mountain lions (pumas) 20 miles north of me, but were hard to confirm, even with video imagery.

For the most part, the town law enforcement arrest em' for B&E when discovered in the homes.

However in Milwaukee, they are well known, very vocal, supportive and are allowed to open carry on the streets. A force to be reckoned with and not to be fucked with. Very militant and respected. I've met a few of them and had good conversations.

Bicaptain My Captain and Eric! like this.
  9. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

I live in Massachusetts because I grew up here. It’s rich in history and tradition The Battle of Bunker Hill, The Boston Massacre, The Boston Tea Party, The Salem Witch Trials, and The Pilgrims landed here in 1620. It has some of the finest private schools in the world, and some of the greatest institutions of higher learning like Harvard University, MIT, and Radcliff, The finest hospitals in the world like Mass General Hospital (where I was born) and Brigham and Women's Hospital.

Everything you could want is within a 3 hour drive from the Berkshire hills, to the Green and White mountains of Vermont and New Hampshire, To the finest beaches in the country from Cape Ann (Gloucester and Rockport) to Cape Cod and the Islands of Martha’s Vineyard and Nantucket.

For many years Massachusetts was home to the largest fishing fleet in the United States including New Bedford which was inspiration for the novel Moby Dick.

I love the four seasons here in New England, and a short drive to the Greenfield Hill Dogwood festival in May is a feast for the eyes, In the summer the beaches of Cape Cod can’t be beat, in the fall the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont is magical with its brilliant foliage, and In winter the next great blizzard is always on the mind and always in the heart, and of course any time of the year there’s nothing like a drive up the Maine coast to dine on some of the finest lobster in the world. - All just a stone’s throw away.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
    scratcho likes this.
  10. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

Seems Like Your County Has Everything A Man Could Ask For... :D .....EXCEPT.... :( .... Something So Humble

As A Backyard Clothes Line......:p

Cheers Glen.

Barry Thrift likes this.
  11. Vladimir Illich

Vladimir Illich Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

...... To be near the sea !!!

12. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Still on that clothesline kick. ..lol..

13. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

Yep... ;) ....So Long As I Have The Strength To Type......Then Hit Enter.....My Mission To Bring

You Kicking And Screaming Into Line With The Rest Of Society Will Be My "Mission From God"....... :D

(with apologies to the "blues bro's" ).

Cheers Glen.

14. everything bagel

everything bagel Banned

Do they tho? Or is it just the panzers that make it look that way?

15. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

#1 reason.... Nobody can see my house from the road.

FritzDaKatx2 likes this.
  16. FritzDaKatx2

FritzDaKatx2 Vinegar Taster

:smileycat:

17. nudistguyny

nudistguyny Senior Member

I live where I live for many reasons. One of them is the fact that I have woods on three sides of me. Giving me some privacy. No neighbors that bug me ( except for the damn deer that eat everything) I live on a hill ( 1300 feet above sea level ) That gives me views of the hills to the west and to the valley to the north. It is nice to sit outside during the warm weather and listen to the birds and watch them fly in and out to the bird feeders. .

scratcho and GLENGLEN like this.
  18. Bicaptain My Captain

Bicaptain My Captain Members

Candy, sorry about your brother.

I live here because it's cheap. I can't afford to live where I can be closer to my children and grand children.

19. Gul Dukat

Gul Dukat Kanar, anyone?

Yeah the panzers. And the weird red arm bands which I initially thought was just a cool fashion statement.

20. everything bagel

everything bagel Banned

As long as they dont have that funny looking X on them