Why do some women

Discussion in 'Women's Forum' started by Bellfire01, Jan 11, 2005.

1. Super_Grrl

Super_Grrl Crazy love

Yeah there is totally a difference between doing it for yourself and doing it for others. I'm into the shaving thing, but that's because i despise the feeling of body hair lol and I like make-up... but I don't do those things so that some male will give a second glance, or so that women around me will cut me some slack. I do them because..well I've already explained my hatred of body hair (but that's just MY body hair, other people's doesn't bother me) .. and make-up is fun. I have fun with it.

As for fashion..ok ok I wear a lot of the "current trends," but only because a lot of them genuinely look good on me. But again, as long as you're doing it for yourself, it doesn't matter.

But women who attack other women because they don't look like they jumped out of a magazine have real issues of their own. What they're *really* attacking is that woman's ability to be herself...deep down, the attacker is jealous.

2. aeshna5

aeshna5 Member

Fleassy, stay strong-hairy legs, pits + bikini-line can be extremely sexy; I'm glad your b/f approves!

3. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

Bear loves hair!

LOL!

4. vinceneilsgirl

vinceneilsgirl Member

I know you'd never diss me Maggie! *Hugs* :)

5. BrokenHunny

BrokenHunny Member

I would never walk up to a women and tell her what to do with her looks. I might think stuff like damn her hair is fried, or wow she should put some clothes on. Thats just rude. I had a friend who did that to me alot, and in public. It was really embarrising for me because she always had to point things out and everyone would just stair at me. Like she would say "that eye shadow is not your color" or "you wore that shirt two days ago" Its safe to say she is no longer my friend.

6. Bellfire01

Bellfire01 I'll say anything

I just wanted to clarify that I meant I shaved my bottom legs in that second part and not my arms. I looked at the post and it made me sound like I was really hairy there lol.

7. Crystaleyez

Crystaleyez Member

I had two friends that became hairdressers. At first it was fun cause they do all sorts of freaky stuff to my hair for free. Then they became waaaay too image conscious. They'd be lik OMG Crystal look at that lady's blush! Or your not wearing that out are you, here borrow this. One of them constantly said, when she saw me, 'You look great, did you lose weight?" I know she was trying to be nice but cmon, I'm not super skinny but no one would say i'm fat either. It got weird, and the whole time I was becoming more natural. I don't hang with them anymore.
    Fleassy I can relate. Its not that or my boyfriend are worried about the hair, I just don't wanna get weird looks and comments at the pool.

8. feministhippy

feministhippy Member

When I was in High School, I dyed my hair. My hair is naturally a reddish dark blonde, and I dyed it red. Almost every single student made fun of me. One of them said that it made me look like I was going bald. I have very pale skin, so the skin in my part was always a little more noticable than most people's. When I dyed my hair such a bright color, it made it even more noticable. But looking back, I didn't look at all like I going bald. But this person made me paranoid that I looked like I was going bald for years. Even to this day, I'm still mildly nervous about it, even though I know it's all in my head.

While other students made fun of me and practically traumatized me, I was stopped all the time in the mall by adults who complemented my hair (I almost felt guiltly that they were complimenting a hair color that wasn't really mine). So I think it's a contemperary thing. I don't think it's a kids are cruel thing, because adults treat eachother that way (maybe in a less exaggerated way, but still pretty badly) all the time. I do think that people try to compete with other people their own age in the image contest.

I don't know why people do it, I guess pointless competition is just so engraved in our society that we just take part of it without even knowing it.

9. ihmurria

ihmurria fini

aw, feministhippy, I get the semi-balding redhair line too! Because I'm naturally a very fair blonde, with super pale skin to match. I dye my hair delightfully bright and rich shades of red, but when it grows out, it looks a little odd.

But honestly, people can go fuck themselves. The people who you keep close to your spirit are going to love you for who you are, not what you look like, what colour blush you're wearing, or whether or not you shaved that day. Them people are just petty and insecure on their own (for the most part), that they have to insult and mock others to make themselves feel better.

10. BlackGuardXIII

BlackGuardXIII fera festiva

It is a total hot button mind game. Act all innocent, 'just trying to help, girlfriend' but really what they are doing is subtly dissing you. It implies they know better than you, and that up until they help you, you cant figure it out. It puts them in an assumed position of superiority. Passive aggressive, and if you call them on it they will act all surprised, offended, and argue that it was all for you.....ya right it was.

Just ignore them.

Southern Women

Two delicate flowers of Southern womanhood, one from Georgia,

the other from Virginia, were conversing on the porch swing

of a large white-pillared mansion.

The Georgia peach said, "When my first child was born,

my husband built this beautiful mansion for me."
    The lady from Virginia commented, "Well, isn't that nice??"

The first woman continued "When my second child was born,

my husband bought me that fine Cadillac you see parked in the drive."
    Again, the belle from Virginia commented, "Well, isn't that nice??"

The first woman boasted, "Then, when my third child was born,

my husband bought me this exquisite diamond bracelet."
    Yet again, the second lady commented, "Well, isn't that nice??"

The first woman then asked her companion, What did your

husband buy for you when you had your first child?"
    "My husband sent me to charm school,"

declared the Virginia belle with a sweet smile.

"Charm school!" the first woman cried,
    "Land sakes, child, what on Earth for?"
    The Virginian responded, "So that instead of saying,

'who gives a shit", I learned to say, ...Well, isn't that nice?"

11. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

great quote Black guard. I grew up in Texas and knew some types like that.
    as for unsolicited comments, wouldn't it be wonderful if in public we held to "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all?"
    I will complement my female coworkers when they look like they need a bit of pep in their step. The morings they look like the trip in was hard or they are fussing with their hair in the rest room.
    I do it to be kind and boost their confidence (the two I'm thinking of are in ad sales), but it also subtly points out that I do notice and my looks are my choice.
    They also complement me on my clothing a lot. Long skirts, flowing fabrics. We do have office attire, and we are corporate, but we are the bastard stepchild office (with four red heads, half male) so no one cares if rules are bent if work gets done.
    I have waist length hair (one of two in the office) I dont shave (only one in office..i don't let it show much. I wear trouser socks with the long skirts. No one pays much attention.), and I abhor face paint.
    I'm the office hippy dippy, and I'm accepted as such. I do my job, and I do it well. The less than corporate look helps in talking to people (i'm a reporter) and often gets image-conscious people talking too much, and saying more than they wanted to, perhaps, because they see me as much younger than I am, and perhaps less savvy. Let 'em assume.

12. BlackGuardXIII

Little Tony was sitting on a park bench munching on one candy bar after another.
    After the 6th candy bar, a man on the bench across from him said,
    "Son, you know eating all that candy isn't good for you.
    It will give you acne, rot your teeth, and make you fat."
    Little Tony replied, "My grandfather lived to be 107 years old."
    The man asked, "Did your grandfather eat 6 candy bars at a time?"
    Little Tony answered, "No, he minded his own fucking business."

13. BlackGuardXIII

"The Choice Theory", by W. Glasser, changed my attitude on this very subject. In summary, we have enough of our own lessons to try to solve within the 70 or so years we have, and it is hard enough to control ourselves, so we should not try to control others.

14. Bellfire01

Bellfire01 I'll say anything

15. Faerie

Faerie Peachy

Beacuse people are rude and stupid....

16. DancerAnnie

DancerAnnie Resident Beach Bum

I have NEVER gone up to anyone and told them they should change something about themselves. Nor have I ever had an adult come up to me and tell me I should change something about myself. I think people probably THINK things about me (I certainly get the stares and whispers), but I've never had anyone actually tell me.

I'm not sure how I would react...probably not very pleasantly.

But I don't judge people...I don't critique them. Since I've been out of high school I've stopped judging people totally. I can safely say, I never look at someone and say "geez, her hair is this or that" I don't know, that's not the type of person I am. Who am I to say what looks good or what looks bad? Since when was I or anyone else a real expert on that???

Weird...

17. wiccan_witch

wiccan_witch Senior Member

I would never go up to someone I didnt know and tell them I didnt like what they were wearing. I wouldnt even do it to some I DO know, although I cant help what I think in my head. :p

I think Im a pretty good dresser and I have only ever had one person say they didnt like something I was wearing and she just has NO sense of style anyway, so I didnt care coz she ALWAYS looks bad. :p

18. FallenFairy

FallenFairy Senior Member

I honestly am shocked to hear about this. I have never had some strange woman or man just come up to me and tell me their brain washed opinion on my style of clothing and all. I know that people these days are manipulated into thinking what is attractive and what isn't but to actually go up to some one and voice their opinion on the other person's style is not only rude it's also conceided of that person. WOW.............

19. mynameiskc

mynameiskc way to go noogs!

the only person who has ever liked the way i dress is my man and my mom. i'm fun.

20. lynsey

lynsey Banned

There's chicks out there who don't that because they flat out don't like other women, it sucks. guys are so much easier to get along with with most of them you don't have to worry about getting zinged from a passive agressive comment.