Why do so many British dislike their fellow Europeans

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by Balbus, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

In all the discussion around Brexit a thing I’ve been noticed from many leavers is an often aggressive dislike of non-British Europeans, and I have to wonder what this animosity is based on?

Why does this dislike exit after around 75 years after the last major European war (in which we had European allies) and nearly 50 years of been part of a European union.

I mean these are our closest neighbours and biggest trading partners it is also the place that most Britain’s have as a holiday destination (or at least Spain, Greece and France) so why the often open dislike of spics, frogs and krauts, that all Europeans in the guise of the EU are as one poster put it ‘thick as pig shit’ compare to the British (or at least English).

Before I give my own views as to why I was wonder what others think.

DrRainbow and soulcompromise like this.
  2. Vladimir Illich

Vladimir Illich Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

The answer is quite simple matey - xenophobic 'little englanders' who have a detestation of anyone or anything that isn't british.

Okiefreak likes this.
  3. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I don't really notice such a dislike very often.

Sure, the germans might get a bit more though, especially by the people who lived in WW2. But that's not just a british thing. Plenty of old dutch folks hate germans too.

And we have made fun, sometimes with insulting connotations, about the brits too, but even more about belgians. For apparently no good reason. It is likely the bulge of nasty belgian jokes came about after 1830, when Belgium forcefully gained independance from the Netherlands. So me thinks these names like krauts, frogs etc are also more coming from a historical background.

mysticblu21 likes this.
  4. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

So you are basically asking why people hate French people?

And you are asking in a way that implies you don't know

Bicaptain My Captain likes this.
  5. Adamskiffle

Adamskiffle Members

I've never met a fellow brit who genuinely hated main land europeans.....I'd say a lot of the supposed hate is tongue in cheek.

Mustard Tiger and Mallyboppa like this.
  6. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

Thats Because there is no dislike (or very little ) I personally have never met a European person that I hated !
    Perhaps others have different Ideas

Or it could be just Balbus Trolling ? (just noticed the OP ) over the "Brexit" thing :disappointed:

Mustard Tiger likes this.
  7. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I was always under the impression these names came about from the voyages from Europe to America. Germans and Polish used to stave off infection and disease using saurkraut and the British used limes which ran through Deadwood with those Limey Cocksuckers.

8. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Dutch are half pigs and half German so they don't like to be reminded about that, hence the hate. ;) hybrid pig men teeheeeee

9. everything bagel

everything bagel Banned

"Kraut" is a term I associate with American GIs in ww2. I don't think I've ever heard the term outside of interviews with veterans and in ww2 movies

10. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Thread is a veiled all brexiteers are racists thing

15 days, 12 hours to go

Mustard Tiger likes this.
  11. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I don't get racism in America, Australia or England. They're literally like the 3 countries where everybody goes making all their identities all over the place. You can have black, white, Asian etc and they can all say I'm American, Australian or English and you're like ah yeah fair enough. Asian in DE says they're German, pfff yeah righto, keep dreamin'. :p

6-eyed shaman likes this.
  12. Asmodean

Ich bin ein Hamburger.

13. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

My favourite outting in Germany was at Magdeburg and I was just taking my wife and friends through there and we joked if the pub would have a Magdeburger and yep, they did and we got it. :D

14. Beach Ball Lady Balls

Beach Ball Lady Balls Banned

the animosity is/was fake. Especially on message boards. With brexit on the horizon, there was talks of another vote, at which point the message boards were flooded with brits hate for Europeans. Leaving the European Union did not mean hate Europeans. The flooding of it was to tip the scales in case of another referendum.

15. psymon*

psymon* shadilay

The isles are surrounded by sea. Britain is not part of the continent geographically, so why should it be politically?

16. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

I’d say that the British isle are geologically European and for a lot of time was land contacted to it the channel only flooding some 8000 years ago.

Politically it has often been connected trade has gone on from the earliest times also large parts of Britain were part of the Roman Empire from around 400 years and through most of the medieval period, I believe British royalty actually only gave up its claim to the France around 1800.

I think the idea of been different from other Europeans only really took hold during the height of our imperial period but even then we kept having diplomatic connections and wars there.

17. Asmodean

Yeah, they have been politically and economically intertwined with many other countries for centuries. Check out the Angevin empire for example.

Besides, posing it like their cultural identity, quaint archaic political system or self rule would get completely absorbed by the EU is false and misleading.

Balbus likes this.
  18. I have lived and travelled mainland Europe and in my opinion the British don't necessarily hate Europeans they just think that they are better than them. Fuck knows why?

19. Asmodean

Yeah, that's quite a stretch :D

etherea likes this.
  20. Kirstie

Kirstie Members

Basically/ultimately what it all boils down to is the working classes were losing their jobs to "local" cheaper labour as a result of the EU freedom of movement law, which was only really noticed since around year 2005ish? And then since the Syrian refugee crisis Germany (backed up by French lap dog) seemed to take control of the EU when they announced that any EU state (UK opposed) would be subjected to things like heavy financial fines. So then introduce Nigel Farage for the masses, forcing Brits to democratically opt out of the EU - Brits of such areas who were previously "openly accepting multiculturalism" had effectively secretly been suffering from what we now class as "racist views" who could not say anything so then when they had the opportunity to speak up and say no to even more foreign invasion of their own culture (that is promoted as multiculturalism) they obviously opted out. And because of that they are labelled as anti-British, racists, xenophobes, bigots.

Its all good for the middle and rich classes saying things like we should appreciate foreign workers like doctors etc, but they don't have to live with the vast, vast lesser-privileged skilled foreigner workers who many of whom have zero respect for our way of life. Yet dare we say anything negative about it what so ever then we branded as some horrible person.

There are other reasons for Brexit as well, but I think that is the bulk of why Brexit happened. Places like Scotland and Northern Ireland voted 2/3's remain only because they were less influenced by the negative aspects from "foreigners" compared to England, because no foreigner had greater benefit from being in Scot/Ireland that could greatly alter their way of life, which was being witnessed by the English as a result of significant multiculturalism changing their way of life. And if they dare say anything negative about it - "racist/xenophobe!" - rather than those "name-callers" show a bit of love for their own countrymen? - NOPE nothing whatsoever.

mysticblu21 likes this.
  21. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Exacta mundo

mysticblu21 likes this.