Why do Rastafarians hate whites and Catholics?

Discussion in 'Rastafari' started by Jozak, Jun 3, 2004.

1. Zion

Zion Member

How would you feel towards people who perecute you, for your appearance, and dont even recognize your joy for life. Im not advocating hate Im just saying, Its hard to make peace with people who want to oppress you

2. goldmund

goldmund Member

Rastafari is about the final judgement. It is not some easy going path. Wrapped up in the very military battles of WWII are the epic sagas of the faith. More than JUDGEMENT, Rastafari is about JUSTICE and Bob's song is definately in line with that tenent.

The difficult thing for rastas is to remember that while part of God, they are not HIM. We have very little distiction between divine love burnin hot, and our own personal anger. I would not recommend the militant path. Most will fall from it and end up the scorn of their own judgement.

3. Bikshu

Bikshu Member

short answer : ignorance.

Dont try and talk around it, because there is no other answer for hatred between people.

4. Bikshu

Bikshu Member

oh, and ignorance in one area does not imply that other areas are not truthfull or correct.

5. Zion

Zion Member

Yeah see...Much apologies I would never advocate militantcy under any curcumstance. For those who remain peaceful experience peace as oppsed to hatred, anger and all kinds of suffering. I wouldnt mean to say that a rasta would hate, just that they feel opressed by haters.

6. goldmund

goldmund Member

Seen. No apologies needed. I was actually agreeing with what the I had said. It all comes down to some type of unresolvable balance, overlapping, and resting contradictions that trumpet the spirit above reason. I think one of the best and worst things about Rasta is its militancy.

7. Zion

Zion Member

Word. Spiritual militancy unites us. Physical militancy destroys us

8. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

because this is not the first time you have asked this question. You did this prior to the system crash and you are so incredibly defensive of your "faith."
    Have a little more faith in it and relax.

9. velvet

velvet Banned

Although it's a bit late to step into this, let me give a try. I'm a white girl with black friends (true Africans) and we get along just great. One has dreads, the other plants, the other afro. Some are Christian, some are Muslim, most of them refer to any dieity as Jah. Sometimes they are a little weary of 'white people' but that's mostly due to their history as warrefugees/asylumseekers and the way they have been treated in my country, by my people. Because of this, it took me a while to get trusted by them but now they do it's all good. They refer to me as their 'Dutch sister'.

Because of them, I've became really interested in the african culture, which nearly automatically includes reggae, their language (Krio), their past (rebelwar) etc etc. They aren't fullblown rastafarians, but since I was also searching google on that topic I came across a website that really shocked me for it's blunt racism:

http://rastafari.unn13.com/cointel/truth.html

However, I realize that these people are the extremists of the lot and that although blacks & whites have a complicated past that doesn't mean there is necessarily a complicated future. I find it sad to see though, that those of the race who've been surpressed for so long are now seeking racial seperation themselves. Since my personal religion is mostly buddhist a saying of a master comes to mind: "You stick to naturalness too much. When you stick to it, it is not natural any more."

That's my philosophy.. meeting every person as an unique being, regardless of faith, culture, age or skincolor.

10. SLammon420

SLammon420 Senior Member

because alot of white people and catholics just suck...not all...some.

11. SLammon420

SLammon420 Senior Member

white people as a whole don't have such a great relationship with any black people throughout history...you can't blame them for being a little hateful or weary towards us...whites have fucked them over big time in the past.

12. Jozak

Jozak Member

Well, I'm sure a lot of black people and rastas suck too then, right?

13. mynameiskc

mynameiskc way to go noogs!

well duh!

hey, jozak, where ya been?

14. Jozak

Jozak Member

I know, I haven't been on here in forever. I'm hoping to get back to posting....school took up a lot of time last year, work, etc. School is started but I was on fall break this weekend, hopefully I'll get back in the habit.

15. mynameiskc

mynameiskc way to go noogs!

good to see ya!

16. LuMpYtRiChOmEy

LuMpYtRiChOmEy Member

Racisim sucks. It dont mater whos doin the hatin. The best thing you can do is dont trust anyone. I think a Rasta man just like any other would be a fool to trust another man based just on that hes another "rasta man". Just like all black Folk aint "all black Folk" all white Folks aint "all white Folks". Less inteligent people just tend to generalize more in this respect, its easier and lazy people can do it. Its much easier to hate others based on these broad generalizations instead of puttin real thought into the mater and basin you pinion on the person and not the color of their flesh. I hope Im not hated based on my skin color. My parents came here from Hungary durring the Hungarian revolution while they were fleein from oppresion. They never opressed anyone the hole time they here and neither did I. White Folks are made up of a hole lotta differant nationalitys just like Black Folks. Im fukkin Hungarian, my skin dont look "white" and their aint no Baballon me. Hate Babbalon, not the color of the skin of its occupants.

17. FunkyPhreshMama

FunkyPhreshMama Visitor

Many Rastafarian's nowadays are white...Sadley, a "good" religion like rastafari has many different offsprings, and since we like to remain more or less leader less, at the most have an elder of the brethern that rasta's reside in, it gives people a chance to read into, and change the religion just like it was done by the colonists!

18. soaringeagle

soaringeagle Senior Member

i hate no church or people, but i sure do get annoyed at people like jozak

jozak everyone here has tried very hard to explain & show you truth, yet the ony hatred i've felt had come from you

maybe the question should be..why does jozak hate (or fear) rastas?

19. Jozak

Jozak Member

Ha.

Truth about what? I have read/heard a lot of anti-caucasian and anti Catholicism bigotry that come from, "Old School" rastas and I was wondering if there was an actual legitimate reason.

I never once said I hated or feared them, I don't. Now, try actually adding some substance to your posts instead of posting some radom conclusion about me pages later after the origianl question. I have appreciated most of the insight to this point, which it ended with your post.

20. FunkyPhreshMama

FunkyPhreshMama Visitor

Who or what were these "Old School" Rasta's basing it on? Where they Jamaican, and maybe just fed up on living in slums. watching the White Man living on the fruit of their hard work? And as far as Catholism goes, it was one of the main religion's pressed on Africa and the new World, by pretty much anything not English...and if you know any of the history of H.I.M. Heile Selassie I., I wonder what country Catholism is based out of, and what Country Ethiopia had to remove. Just things to consider...