Why do Rastafarians hate whites and Catholics?

Discussion in 'Rastafari' started by Jozak, Jun 3, 2004.

1. Jozak

Jozak Member

Business?

2. Sera Michele

Sera Michele Senior Member

yes, business...like charging people money for forgiveness....things such as that.

3. Jozak

Jozak Member

Those were indulgences, a temporary practice in the middle ages. The were done away with at the Council of Trent in 1546.

4. Nimrod's Apprentice

Nimrod's Apprentice Member

Catholics have combined ancient Babylonian paganism. Any emeny of the Rastafari and zion. They distorted the true wisdom of the bible for their own sickening benefits through monetary schemes. They continued the idea of a Pontifex Maximus(or babylonian high priest of the mystery religion) which was resurrected when the ego-maniac Julius Caesar became Emporer of Rome. It is truly disguisting how generations of good people have been deceived like this. Ever wonder where the Cardinals or Pope get their outfitts from? Ancient Babylonian Attire that drew the attention of the first corrupters of the Old Testament. Combining Physical and political power, with religion and spiritual advancement is the downfall of civilization. Too bad now its all gone underground.

5. Jozak

Jozak Member

That is not true.

Such as what? There were moments of corruption within the church, it is not perfect, it is run by man, but not evil as you make it out to be.

How does Julius Caesar have anything to do with the Catholic Church?

Yeah, I feel bad for you.

Cardinals and the Pope do not dress like the Babylonians did. The Babylonians were gone by the time the Catholic Church/Christianity came about. You could compare any flowing robe to any culture you want to, so your arguement does not hold much water.

6. prophet7

prophet7 Member

Who says that Rasta "hate" Catholics and whites ??
    Were is it written in I and I doctrines that I and I hate whites and Catholics !?

Rasta do not deal with hate or any form of negativeness. What I and I do not like is the abusement of Jah words by Catholics. What abusement ? There are many.....e.g. take a look at your all Pope. He eats out of gold plates with gold spoons and forks whilst millions of children are suffering and dying !!
    He drives aroud in a bullet proof car (that costs who knows how much ?) and claims to be a man of God. Well if he is a man of God what is he afraid of ??
    Jesus himself walked this earth amongst his enemies with no protection but, His Father, at all !
    Did not Jesus tell us to leave all riches/luxury behind and follow Him ??
    There are many more examples I can give you to show that God words are being abused by most (not all) Catholics but, I am not here to point fingers. This was just an example.
    Another thing is, I and I do not "hate" whites. I and I do not like the mindset of some of them (especially the rascists and opressers) ! Not the individual himself but, the negative thinking. Just like you are now saying that Rasta hate this and that ! Do you know any Rasta that you can claim something like that ?? And I am not talking about those that call themselves Rasta and are not. I am talking about REAL RASTA ! Do you know any ??
    So u really need to get that straight ! Your words are judging Rasta and in the wrong way too ! Does not GOD say leave all judgement unto HIM ??
    You seem to read your Bible but, not follow it and that is another mistake that Catholics make.
    Hate is devilism and Rasta nah deal with it !! Rasta nah deal with any form of negativeness - we fight against it.

One Love
    Prophet7

7. Jozak

Jozak Member

Speaking with many people on the forum here have told me that Rastas do not like the Catholic Church or white people, I am not saying this is offical doctrine, that is why I asked the question: I should have phrased it better.

You just contradicted yourself.

That is the biggest load of bull shit I have heard yet. GOLD SPOONS AND FORKS???? You have evidence for that? Secondly, The Catholic Church is argueably the biggest charity donor in the world. We have people all over the world--we have people in Latin America, India, Africa, Asia, everywhere--Catholics like myself go there to do mission work, we collect money for different causes, and our priests and nuns go into the mission fields. I have done mission work in Mexico myself. We dont see any Rastafarians going around the world helping out humanity now do we?

Your thoughts make no sense. The Pope is NOT God, nor has he ever claimed to be. He is a regualr man like you and I who is a very holy and good man, that has done a lot for humanity, and he is the head of the Church of Rome. He rides in a bullet proof car because HE HAS BEEN SHOT AT BY MUSILIM TERRORISTS AND WAS ALMOST ASSASINATED. Your bitching that he has protection??? HE CANT WALK AROUND LIKE JESUS, HE IS NOT JESUS. This is nonsense.

Your example was either blatent Discrimination or stupidity, take your pick. A 3 year old could have refuted those arguements as well.

You sir are the bigot whose discrimination is so blatent it's sickening. You bitch that the Pope rides around with protection after he has been SHOT AT BY TERRORISTS!!! You bitch the Catholic Church is some luxurious palace of wealth, I got a news flash, IT ISN'T!

8. prophet7

prophet7 Member

9. Nimrod's Apprentice

Jozak im sorry I should've went more in depth on those examples my fault. The Ancient Babylonian mystery religion worshipped the mother/son, in the form of King Nimrod (the builder of the babylon and began the tower of babel even in the bible). Nimrod died and was thought to be reincarnated as his son. Therefore the worship of the mother/son, aka mary/jesus. Is taken from Babylonian mythologies and may have coincided with real events and may not. Plus many holidays are from Babylonian/Sumerian in origin as well.

The pontifex maximus was a title that Julius Caesar resurrected from Ancient Babylon, meaning High Priest of the Mystery Babylonian Occult Knowledge. The title was later on given to Pope Pious. Its been there ever since. In the Catholic Church. Which would make them Pope of Christianity but also High Priest of the Babylonian Mystery Practices. That is just left for the high and mighty to know.

Third about the Robe I did not specifically mean the Robes alone, but more the Conical Hats that you see, the same type of hats seen by Pharoahs of Egypt, and the god Osiris is seen with one, also there have been comparisons of the Babylonian King Nimrod, to the Egyptian god Osiris. I don't think there is a connection however its possible. Its known to some that the occult knowledge of the ages began in Babylon, then travelled to Egypt where they began teaching anyone who wanted to learn this occult mysteries. Eventually the Greeks learned of it, passed it to Rome, then it blew up. The mysteries were learned by many cultures and even secret societies were built to protect it. To prevent another NIMROD from gaining it.

10. FreakyJoeMan

FreakyJoeMan 100% Batshit Insane

I hate whites and catholics, and I'm not rasta.

(Hint: Sarcasm)

In any case, all of ya'll hate queers, so there's somethin fer you to agree on.

11. Jozak

Jozak Member

You are agreeing with your contradiction. You do hate the Catholic Church and Catholics, so stop beating around the bush. Your lies prove you are a bigot.

Most of what the Pope has a luxory were gifts given to him, probably very old ones as well our church is over 1600 years old. And this tape, does it have a name, do you have a site? You saying it's true with no proof means nothing.

WHAT DO YOU THINK MISSIONS DO? How inept are you? Like I said before, we have people in Latin America, India, Africa, Asia, everywhere--Catholics like myself go there to do mission work, we collect money for different causes, and our priests and nuns go into the mission fields. I have done mission work in Mexico myself.

The only Spanish that stuck up for the Native Americans were the Catholic priests, numbskull. It was Cortes and the King's Army who killed them, not the priests. You are out of your mind.

Truth? You don't have one clue about the truth. You are an unintelligent poser and you are not impressing anyone. You're a shameless liar. YOu are not fixing shit my friend, the people the Spanish hurt are long dead and you are sitting their trying to spread the, "Truth"---you and your Rastafarianism or whatever BS it is will never compare to the things Catholic Priests and Nuns like Padre Pio and Mother Teresa did for humanity. You make me sick.

You are a fucking idiot. If you get punched in the face, would you sit there and let a person beat the hell out of you or your family?

God has allowed man to develop things to help out our lives, INCLUDING BULLET PROOF JACKETS AND GLASS. SO WHAT IF HE WAS SHOT?

WOULD YOU JUMP OFF A CLIFF AND SAY, "OH GOD WILL PROTECT ME"!?? Think about it.

I mean, if you could have at least put up some decent arguements---this is just pitiful. A 3 year old has better arguements than you, you are a complete joke and so is your, "way of life". I hope Rastas for the most part don't have the intelligence you do, no wonder your way of life is a pitiful minority.

12. Nimrod's Apprentice

Jozak you sound like the bigot. The Catholic Church is everything Christianity shouldn't be. Its all dogma and ritual. I visited a catholic church mass and the priest was telling jokes, it is a joke. The pope, is bullshit who gave him authority? Oh it was the Romans! WHO PERSECUTED THE TRUE CHRISTIANS THEN LEARNED THEY COULD RIVAL MONARCHY THEY TURNED THOSE BELIEFS INTO A SICKENING MIXTURE OF LIES. However that doesn't disgard the good souls like Mother Theresa and the missionaries in Africa. Its just the person son, but like Prophet 7 recited from Bob Marley. IM SICK AND TIRED OF THE ISM SCHISM. Ras Tafari is the true religion of the human people.

Put aside all the Ancient Noah's ark descendants through Ham, Nimrod the building of the Tower of Babel the unification of the cities of the fertile crescent, one world empire, god destroying the tower and confusing the languages of man. Jump ahead to a more believable time period. That of the reign of King Solomon. He united all the Hebrew tribes into one nation, at this time they practiced an uncorrupted form of Judaism. The Queen of Sheeba which was from Ethiopia visited his kingdom and great temple. She was overwhelmed by its power and they togethor had a son. Solomon gave him his knowledge of pure uncorrupted judaism. Mixing this with local beliefs was a pre-cursor to the religion of Ras Tafari. Even before Christ was born, true religion while corrupted in the middle east through the seperation of the jewish kingdom maintained its truth in Ethiopia. Eventually comes Haille Selassie and he is supposedly the descendant of this QUeen of SHeeba and King Solomon. Plus the catholic idea of the sacrament! WHERE THE FUCK DOES THAT COME FROM? I believe it is Ganja which was either the true sacrament of the JEWS or became involved when it moved to Africa via tribal shamanism. Whatever the cause it makes so much more sense than anything else. Your a fool catholic sheep bringing hate on to Prophet 7. ALL I say is maintain the holy spirit and JAH means the holy spirit.
    Plus im not even African Im Italian American so just read the right material.

13. Jozak

Jozak Member

\

I am not the one spreading lies about another's religion.

Maybe if you studied the rituals and dogmas you would know why we do them. We get our teachings from 1) Tradition of the Apostoles and the Early Church fathers like Oirgen, Clement of Alexandra, Augustine of Hippo, etc. and 2) The bible

Sometimes at the end of a homoly or at the begginning the priest will be humorous, or so what if the homoly was a humurous one with a message? What's your problem? You are going to base your entire opinion of somthing on one homoly/sermon you heard? That's real intelligent.

Not only do you not know anything about Catholicism, you don't know history real well either. Rome, when it was pagan, persecuted Christians for years until it was gradually accepted and then eventually adopted by Constantine as the legal religion. By that time, Constantine was building a new capitol at Byzantium becasue "barbarians" were on the verge of sacking Rome. Christianity and the Early Church had bishops in the major cities, including Antioch, Rome, Alexandria, Hippo, and other cities. Aside from the fact that Christ told St. Peter, the first Pope, "You are the Rock on which I will build my Church" (That is where we get the Papacy from), The Bishop of Rome eventually became the authoratative city on Christian matters, and the most important. The Papacy grew in power and influence in Rome, and thus solidifying the authority of the Bishop of Rome, aka the Pope. Another reason is becasue leaders in Western Europe began to seek out Rome when questioning of weather converting to Christianity. This is a broad overview obviously, since their is a lot more detail involved.

The idea of the Sacrament comes from Christ himself, when he said, "Take this bread and eat of it, this is my body which will be given up for you" in the Gospels. GANJA? WEED? I mean, I smoke weed, but it certainly was not used in Judiasm. I don't doubt that Christ probably did smoke weed, he hung out with all sorts of people. The Jews NEVER HAD A SACRAMENT like communion. Passover and such, which was bread, not ganja, but that is not considered a sacrament, it's a holiday and celebration of the Jews Exodus from Egypt.

I could care less what you are, and I am no fool, I just know my histroy and can back it up. Prophet7 knows absolutley nothing about the Catholic Church and he brings in his bigoted remarks about it that are false, and pathetic arguements. Either back up your statements, or keep your mouth shut and don't spout out mindless garbage, or someone will call you on it. I don't know everything about Rasta way of life, and I am not going to sit here and make up things about it. I started the thread to further understand why Rastas don't like Catholics or The Church, but with these arguements that whole fact remains a mystery to me.

14. erowid

erowid Member

You need not necessarily know the root of the cause to see and understand the effect. I could go around town molotov cocktailing churches and lord knows I could come up with a justifiable and deep rooted cause for my behavior, but more important is that I simply understand the effect so I just don't do it. It's not that rastafarians hate it's ideals exactly, its more the way many interpret and act on those ideals, which is all those action made in an intrusive and arrogent manor, such as the call for people to shop at only stores holding true to the marry christmas, which say basically let's screw those who pay respects to the non-christian minority and christian majority equally. That's the kind of stuff that pisses me off, things like that which hold any man over another.

Don't get me wrong though, I certainly don't hate christians, many channel there faithful energies well, and I would commend them for it. I just hate christianity as a whole.

15. Nimrod's Apprentice

Jozak the point I was trying to make is that "When Rome conquered the world, the paganism that had spread from Babylon and developed in various nations, was merged into the religious system of Rome. This included the idea of a Supreme Pontiff (Pontifex Maximus). Thus, Babylonian paganism, which had originally been carried out under the rulership of Nimrod, was united under the rulership of one man at Rome: Julius Caesar. It was the year 63 B.C.E. that Julius Caesar was officially recognized as the "Pontifex Maximus" of the mystery religion. AKA THE RELIGION OF BABYLON, BABYLON IS THE ENEMY OF ZION AND OF THE RASTA.

"The Roman emperors (including Constantine) continued to hold the office of Pontifex Maximus until 376 when Gratian, for Christian reasons, refused it. He recognized this title and office as idolatrous and blasphemous. By this time, however, the bishop of Rome had arisen to political power and prestige. Consequently, in 378, Demasus, bishop of Rome, was elected to the Pontifex Maximus—the official high priest of the mysteries! Since Rome was considered the most important city in the world, some of the Christians looked to the bishop of Rome as "bishop of bishops" and head of the church. This produced a unique situation. One man was now looked to as head by both Christians and pagans. By this time, and through the years that followed, the streams of paganism and Christianity flowed together, producing what is known as the Roman Catholic Church, under the headship of the Pontifex Maximus, the Pope."
    THERE YOU GO. THE CATHOLIC CHURCH IS PAGAN! THATS WHY RASTAS DON't LIKE/AGREE WITH IT!!! THATS WHAT I TRIED TO EXPLAIN BEFORE. You are obviously just a victim of the church, If you are a good soul then bless you, but if your a sheep then wake the FUCK UP.

16. Jozak

Jozak Member

I don't recall the Vatican ever telling Catholics not to shop at a particular store or retailer, most of what I heard is Fundementalist Protestants calling on a boycott on Disney or somthing becasue of, "Gay Day" at Disney World.

17. BlackGuardXIII

BlackGuardXIII fera festiva

mother Teresa is the greatest person who has ever lived, as far as I am concerned.

My ancestors were Orangemen and Freemasons.
    They were not fond of Catholics.
    I could never in a million years tell mother Teresa she is in the wrong faith....
    she's not.
    It is where she belonged, or she'd have been elsewhere.
    The most divine Saint of our lifetime.
    I love her.

Rasters........I hear ya. It's a big organization, and I have read much of the history on the activities that fail to meet my definition of ethical.

Good Catholic folk, didn't do that shit.
    Good Rastafari, and any other faith, aren't guilty of their churches' crimes.
    The Anglican church has a ghastly history where I live, as far as crimes against humanity is concerned. The total destruction of the local culture must have been their goal, judging by their actions.

18. Jozak

Jozak Member

That is nonsense. The Christian Church was not even DEVOLOPED under Julius Caesar, either you are confusing your dates in Roman History or you are lying. The Religion of The Roman Empire and Post Rome was Latin....here is a good explanation by an Encyclopeida:

I don't even know where to begin, let's start simple. First off, you did not even cite your source.

Secondly, The only person with a name like you spelled was Damasus the First, who was elected Pope in 366 AD--which is cited by the New Advent Encyclopedia, A Roman Catholic Encyclopedia--as they would know which Popes were elected on each date.
    http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/12272b.htm

Thirdly, the fact you say, "THE CATHOLIC CHURCH IS PAGAN" without offering ONE single piece of evidence we do that is pagan and say so, proves you are a moron. Show me how the Catholic Church is pagan. While we have incorporated Pagan things and MADE them Christian, ie: Christmas (winter solcsitce) and Easter, (spring equinox), that does not mean we are pagan, since the defention of pagan is:

And A neo Pagan, by the same dictioanry is one who adheres to Neo Paganism which is:

19. Nimrod's Apprentice

Jozak maybe where you from you aren't familiar with the term "underground".

"One of the most amazing aspects about the ascendancy of the papacy is that the church of Rome promotes the pope as the "Pontifex Maximus" or, Supreme Pontiff. The title Pontifex Maximus is mentioned numerous times by the early church fathers (particularly by Tertullian), but it was not applied to a Christian bishop. The early church fathers say that the Pontifex Maximus was the "King of Heathendom", the evil high priest of the pagan mystery religion of Rome. It is certainly not likely that Christ appointed Peter "Pontifex Maximus" of Rome.

This explains the origin of the title "Pontifex Maximus" for the Papacy, written by Mark Bonocore
    Title "Pontifex Maximus" or "Supreme Pontiff"

One of the most amazing aspects about the ascendancy of the papacy is that the church of Rome promotes the pope as the "Pontifex Maximus" or, Supreme Pontiff. The title Pontifex Maximus is mentioned numerous times by the early church fathers (particularly by Tertullian), but it was not applied to a Christian bishop. The early church fathers say that the Pontifex Maximus was the "King of Heathendom", the evil high priest of the pagan mystery religion of Rome. It is certainly not likely that Christ appointed Peter "Pontifex Maximus" of Rome.

Of course Christ didn't appoint Peter to be the Pontifex Maximus. And of course the early Church Fathers spoke of the Pontifex Maximus in such derogatory, paganistic ways. Because when the early Fathers were writing, the Pontifex Maximus was the head of the Roman pagan religion (which was a a later interpretation of the Babylonian Mystery Religion and the enemy of the Rasta that is the point originally asked for), and the Roman Empire itself was pagan. As any student of Roman history knows, the Pontifex Maximus was an imperial office, usually held by the Emperor himself, which made one the "chief priest" of the Roman "state cult."

Now as I said, in the days of the early Fathers, this "state cult" was paganism and Emperor worship. Yet, when Constantine the Great became the first Christian Roman Emperor, the "state cult" changed to Christianity. Now, oddly enough, the first Christian emperors all still retained the title of Pontifex Maximus (a traditional title for Emperors) which, under imperial law (though not Church law), actually made them the "Head of the Church" ! It was by this authority, for example, that Constantine called the Council of Nicaea (325 AD) to settle the Arian controversy.

Indeed, it was not until the Empire split in two, with the Western Empire going to the pious, youthful Emperor Gratian (c. 360 AD) that the Pope was given the title Pontifex Maximus. Indeed, feeling that it was not right for he himself to carry that title (since he was, after all, not a Christian priest) the pious young Emperor bestowed it upon Pope Damasus I, who became the first Pope in history to hold the title "Pontifex Maximus."

This fact alone that the Catholics changed Christianity at all and did adopt pagan rituals, titles, and ritual attire to appeal to a wider variety of people therefore causing their hierarchy to attain cultural power. Rastas think they practiced a pure form of Christianity "untainted" rather than say corrupted for your sake, as does the Catholic Church.

Are you unaware of the fact that there is a schism of Christian beliefs all stemming back to disagreements with the Catholic Church?
    This is an account of the puritans.
    Some passionately sought to make the Protestant Reformation a redeeming reality in all of English life and culture, thus purifying it. They came to be called Puritans. The Puritans wanted to rid the Church of England of all evidences of its historic Catholic connection, and to let the New Testament determine church order and worship. As petitioners to King James I (1603-1625) put it in 1603, the true church ought not to be "governed by Popish Canons, Courts, Classes, Customs, or any human invention(human invention,Babylon Mystery, Evil, against god, practices which Catholics accept). Instead, by the laws and rules which Christ hath appointed in his Testament."

Then England blew up into a bunch of different ways to shape protestant England, thus prompting more faiths to come about. If that isn't enough to show you why Rastas do not agree with Catholics, then I don't know what will.

20. Jozak

Jozak Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontifex_maximus

From the Encyclopedia Article"
    "Tertullian first applied the term to Pope Callixtus I, although Pope Gregory I was the first to employ it in any formal sense. Pontifex was apparently a word in common currency in early Christianity to denote a bishop. The office was relinquished by the Emperor Gratianus in 382, and was assumed by the Christian Bishops of Rome. It thus became one of the titles of the Popes of the Roman Catholic Church who hold it to this day. This is unusual in that most of the technical terms of Roman paganism were avoided in the vocabulary of Christian Latin in favour of neologisms or Greek words."

So what you posted is wrong. It was not Pope Damasus who was given the title in 360 or whatever, it was Callixtus, and as you can see from this list of Popes, your dates are horribly wrong as well.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_popes

So let me get this straight: You hate the Catholic Church becasue we use the title Pontifex Maximus???? That's it?!!? We are not the Pagan Religion of Rome, We are the Christian Religion of Rome, and if Constantine, A Roman Christian Emperor, used it, why are you so opposed to it? SO WHAT if it used to be Pagan, it was changed from Pagan to Christian Over 1600 years ago. We use the original bible, compiled togethar at the Synod of Hippo in 393 AD, which Bible do you use?

As far as England goes, number one: The Anglican Church is very similar to the Catholic Church, so your precious Puritans failed. The Puritan Church is pretty much non exsistant anymore, I could care less what those morons who outlawed Dancing, Drinking, Fun, etc thought. IF that is your idea of Christianity you are living on a different planet.

Oh and By The Way, you know how many times you plagarized? Quite a bit.

www.christianitytoday.com/holidays/ thanksgiving/features/41h008.html
    "Some passionately sought to make the Protestant Reformation a redeeming reality in all of English life and culture, thus purifying it. They came to be called Puritans. The Puritans wanted to rid the Church of England of all evidences of its historic Catholic connection, and to let the New Testament determine church order and worship. As petitioners to King James I (1603-1625) put it in 1603, the true church ought not to be "governed by Popish Canons, Courts, Classes, Customs, or any human invention(human invention,Babylon Mystery, Evil, against god, practices which Catholics accept). Instead, by the laws and rules which Christ hath appointed in his Testament."

Oh my God you are a moron. ARE YOU NOT AWARE THIS IS A DEBATE BETWEEN MARK BONOCORE, A ROMAN CATHOLIC, AND SOMEONE LIKE YOU?
    www.bringyou.to/apologetics/a104.htm
    This explains the origin of the title "Pontifex Maximus" for the Papacy, written by Mark Bonocore
    Title "Pontifex Maximus" or "Supreme Pontiff"

Stupid Heretic:
    "One of the most amazing aspects about the ascendancy of the papacy is that the church of Rome promotes the pope as the "Pontifex Maximus" or, Supreme Pontiff. The title Pontifex Maximus is mentioned numerous times by the early church fathers (particularly by Tertullian), but it was not applied to a Christian bishop. The early church fathers say that the Pontifex Maximus was the "King of Heathendom", the evil high priest of the pagan mystery religion of Rome. It is certainly not likely that Christ appointed Peter "Pontifex Maximus" of Rome. "

Bonocore: "Of course Christ didn't appoint Peter to be the Pontifex Maximus. And of course the early Church Fathers spoke of the Pontifex Maximus in such derogatory, paganistic ways. Because when the early Fathers were writing, the Pontifex Maximus was the head of the Roman pagan religion (which was a a later interpretation of the Babylonian Mystery Religion and the enemy of the Rasta that is the point originally asked for), and the Roman Empire itself was pagan. As any student of Roman history knows, the Pontifex Maximus was an imperial office, usually held by the Emperor himself, which made one the "chief priest" of the Roman "state cult."

Now as I said, in the days of the early Fathers, this "state cult" was paganism and Emperor worship. Yet, when Constantine the Great became the first Christian Roman Emperor, the "state cult" changed to Christianity. Now, oddly enough, the first Christian emperors all still retained the title of Pontifex Maximus (a traditional title for Emperors) which, under imperial law (though not Church law), actually made them the "Head of the Church" ! It was by this authority, for example, that Constantine called the Council of Nicaea (325 AD) to settle the Arian controversy.

Indeed, it was not until the Empire split in two, with the Western Empire going to the pious, youthful Emperor Gratian (c. 360 AD) that the Pope was given the title Pontifex Maximus. Indeed, feeling that it was not right for he himself to carry that title (since he was, after all, not a Christian priest) the pious young Emperor bestowed it upon Pope Damasus I, who became the first Pope in history to hold the title "Pontifex Maximus."