Why do people hate Bill Nye?

Discussion in 'People' started by unfocusedanakin, Apr 18, 2018.

1. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Because they hate science.

unfocusedanakin likes this.
  2. MeAgain

Bill Nye modeled himself after Don Herbert, AKA Mr. Wizard.

Herbert had a long running TV show called Watch Mr. Wizard that ran for 15 years, devoted to science and technology.
    He had no science degree either.

unfocusedanakin and BeatinFeet69 like this.
  3. Running Horse

Running Horse A Buddha in hiding from himself

Never been anywhere near Seattle. Judging by the pictures doubt I'd want to be.

I've got a fair amount of "right wing" views such as guns are necessary in our current society, should only have sex with someone you're serious about, best make something of yourself you can be proud of cause life is short etc (Not really sure if that last one is really right wing but sounds it to me) yet I don't hate science. I just keep giving less of a damn about it the older I get.
    Learn something new every day man

4. Beach Ball Lady Balls

Beach Ball Lady Balls Banned

It isn’t dislike by the right, it is dislike for an idiot with no business talking about things he has zero knowledge on. Right and left don’t like stupidity. Some pseudo scientist (people like Bill Nye) are more into the so called progressive new school way of thinking... which is much like the thinking of mao, pol pot and Castro’s propaganda bs.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
  5. MeAgain

So what exactly has he gotten wrong?
    It's very easy to make accusations without backing them up.

Nye is a mechanical engineer, he invented the hydraulic resonance suppressor tube, and holds at least two patents.
    His show Nye the Science Guy was nominated for 23 Emmys, and won 19.
    Funding came from the National Science Foundation, the US Department of Energy, the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, Ore Ida, The Boeing Company, and Intel. So they certainly considered it to be advancing the understanding of science.

He was also the CEO for the Planetary Society and worked on sundials for the Mars Exploration Rover.

In 2012 he came out against creationists suggesting that they threatened science education.
    He was then attacked by them with a smear campaign that continues to this day.
    And that's the base of the attacks against him.

By the way here are a few other idiots that held no science degree and therefore weren't really scientists although they seemed to get along alright. In no particular order.
    Thomas Alva Edison
    Michael Faraday
    James Watt
    The Wright Brothers
    William Herschel
    Stephen Felton
    Richard Leakey
    Robert Evans
    Vladimir Nabokov
    Henrietta Swan Leavitt
    Jane Goodall (studied chimpanzees for seven tears with no degree at all)
    Melanie Klein
    Charles Darwin
    Benjamin Franklin
    Buckminster Fuller (twice expelled from Harvard)
    Thomas Henry Huxley
    Antonie van Leeuwenhoek
    Stanford R. Ovshinsky
    Walter Pitts
    Vincent J. Schaefer
    Vasily Vladimirovich Petrov
    Mary Anning

Bilby, scratcho and McFuddy like this.
  6. Logan 5

Logan 5 Confessed gynephile Lifetime Supporter

I don't hate Bill Nye, but I have a problem with anyone that knows for certain on what IS causing global warming. No it's not just mankind, there are other factors.

7. MeAgain

Science is never certain, that's why it's science as opposed to dogma.
    But what we can say is that there is a preponderous amount of evidence that humans are a major factor in the release of carbon dioxide and other heat trapping emissions that are causing temperatures to rise over time.

We know this because scientists can determine what kinds of CO2 are present in the atmosphere. Other factors are involved such as volcanic activity and the intensity of the Sun, but these factors alone can't account for the amount of warming the Earth has recently been experiencing. By measuring the amount of delta thirteen c in the atmosphere scientists can tell that the burning of fossil fuels is the largest contributor to global warming.

There is no doubt that the majority of scientist around the world agree on the causes of global warming.
    Bill Nye doesn't do research on global warming, he presents the consensus of the scientific community.

A few examples:
    Commonwealth Academy of Science
    World Meteorological Organization
    United Nations Environmental Programme
    American Association for the Advancement of Science: AAAS Reaffirms the Reality of Human-Caused Climate Change
    American Chemical Society: Statement on Global Climate Change
    American Geophysical Union: Human-induced Climate Change Requires Urgent Action.
    American Meteorological Society: Climate Change: An Information Statement of the American Meteorological Society
    American Physical Society: Statement on Earth’s Changing Climate
    Geological Society of America: Position Statement on Climate Change
    Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change: Synthesis Report Summary for Policymakers
    International academies joint statement: Global response to climate change
    U.S. Global Change Research Program: Highlights of the Findings of the U.S. Global Change Research Program Climate Science Special Report
    U.S. National Academy of Sciences: Understanding and Responding to Climate Change

etc.

Bilby likes this.
  8. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Bill Nye the Soyence Guy

9. deleted

deleted Visitor

Is this some way some how trying to make the Nye organism relevant again?..

10. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

The oil, auto , and concomitant industries have held this nation in thrall since automobiles (Lake. Big Lake) supplanted horses. It's VERY obvious why climate change denial even exists--to keep the money flowing to those who benefit from the aforementioned industries. What other reason could there possibly be? I'd like to hear it. IMO, when the oil is gone, the same industries/people that ran the oil will own the wind, solar and wave energy sources and will continue their money making.

(Dong. Oh Dong. Where's my auto-mo- bile?)

11. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

We do know man is the main factor though. To not admit that is not address the problem. Natrue changes the climate but not like we do,.

I've heard some of them say that global warming is just the next business opportunity to fix it. So let's make money now and latter. Idiots you can not fix damage like that.

12. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

Same reason people hate Howard Zinn.

People hate it when others challenge the status quo and make you have to think.

scratcho likes this.
  13. deleted

deleted Visitor

Hes not even relevant enough for me to hate on.

Mofos be hating on Cody'slab, that's a real thing.

14. Beach Ball Lady Balls

1st. He never invented that tube. It is actually called Quincke tube because a man named prof. George Hermann quincke invented it! Love the way propaganda bs has brainwashed people into believing bs.

2nd His patent consists of a clear plastic bag filled with water to be used as a lense that magnifies. Wow! Pretty sure he was not the first to do this.

Not true again. And what the hell does being ceo of a planetary society have to do with any qualifications?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  15. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

its gotta be
    the

New Years Eve

16. unfocusedanakin

It means he has the respect of his peers many of which probably have different degrees than him. Degrees that might mean he is a real scientist to you. Peer review and agreement is everything to a scientist. Without that your theories have no meaning.

And he would not have a patent if someone else though of it first. Many patents can seem simple but good ideas are not always complicated. Once you break down everything in a patent you often find there is more to it but the idea will seem simple to someone who is not an expert in the field. For example how a TV or microwave work is pretty simple but also pretty complex if you get into it.

17. Beach Ball Lady Balls

You mean he respects his peers so much that he takes credit for things he did not do? How can he possibly be respected?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
  18. MeAgain

Nye contributed major insights into using the principles of the Quincke tube in jet engines. No one said he patented the idea. It's the same as me adapting the venturi principle to a practical application.
    How many practical applications of scientific principles are you responsible for or how many patents for simple devices do you hold?

The MarsDial design team included Bill Nye.

The Planetary Society an international foundation involved in astronomy, planetary science, and space exploration. It developed or is working on the SETI project, the Mars Microphone, and the LightSail-1 project, as well as advocating for NASA.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
  19. unfocusedanakin

I don't know what you are talking about. I'm sorry actual science has interfered with your view of the world. But everything Nye says is proven.

20. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

I was channel surfing last weekend and just happen to catch one of his old shows, and the guy is just insipid

[​IMG]

Beach Ball Lady Balls likes this.