Why Do Non-Christians Do Moral Things?

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by tumbling.dice, Oct 31, 2017.

1. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

Mally gave me the idea for this thread.

So I'm a non-believer but I'm also a moral being. I don't murder, rape, steal or lie about people. It isn't because I'm afraid of being prosecuted either...I simply don't have the desire to do those things. It's repugnant. Why do I feel this way? I'm not really sure. I figure some part of intelligence is responsible for what I'll call 'moral reasoning.' I know plenty of believers who think that a belief in God is necessary for a moral lifestyle but I don't buy it; that view doesn't explain people like me.

So how would I be better off if I believed in some ultimate judge of my actions? How would I benefit or be a better person? I think the only three things we need to be moral are intelligence, wisdom and empathy towards others. That's far better than just acting moral because we're afraid of being punished.

Any thoughts?

2. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Wait!

We can do moral things?

Musta missed that memo...

3. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Empathy

Simple

1 person likes this.
  4. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

Well, you probably can't...I was talking about everyone else. :D

1 person likes this.
  5. I was just naturally born a Christian. I don't like to hurt people's feelings.
    ?
    ?
    ?
    BATMAN
    ?
    I CAN HEAR YOU.
    I KNOW WHAT IT'S LIKE
    TO BE HOUNDED BY THE DARKNESS WITHIN
    BUTTMANDO!
    IN EVERYONE THERE IS A BATMAN, A DARK KNIGHT
    A MASTER SHAKE, A MIC RULER
    A BERNIE SANDERS, A DETECTIVE SHERLOCK HOLMES.
    ?
    ?
    THESE ARE THE HEROES THAT FIRST POPPED INTO MY HEAD
    FOR I AM NOT SOPHISTICATED AND ENJOY COOL THINGS.
    COLORS ARE AS GOOD AS NOT COLORS.
    I KNOW WE GAVE IT A TRY WHEN YOUR SYMBOL WAS YELLOW
    ?
    AND the TRUTH IS THAT I THINK BLACK IS A COLOR
    AND I LOVE IT.

YES AND I FORGET THAT YOU HAVE BEAUTIFULLY COLORED EYES
    AND CAN'T EXPLAIN YOU
    (I KNOW WHO THE REAL BATMAN IS)

6. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Outta our way, we're coming through. :D

[​IMG]

7. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

Morality is a basic instinct that is born out of simple intelligence. We expect those who have added Christianity to their life style to be additionally considerate, but unlike non Christians, they sometimes believe that confession will forgive them for their evil ways. Probably the most ignored sentence in the lords prayer is "Forgive us our trespasses AS WE FORGIVE THOSE WHO TRESPASS AGAINST US".

1 person likes this.
  8. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

@neon
    hmm, funny I was born a human being,
    sometimes I do "good" stuff, sometimes not so "good" stuff.
    Classifying myself with some label never really had much to do with it.
    I'm just a human same as the other 7 billion+ critters called "humans" that reside on this rock.

let's not forget that in the Bible one of God's favorites and one of the more revered people in both Judaism and Christianity was an adulterer, murderer, (sent his mistress husband into the front lines to be killed) and did some other rather "immoral" things, yet he was one of God's favorites.
    Who is this vile, immoral reprobate you ask?
    King David.

As I have mentioned elsewhere, neither action nor inaction are not in and of themselves immoral, at least in God's perspective, it's the motives and intentions that carry the weight.

9. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

one of the best lines from a song by the travelling willburies
    "End of the Line";
    "everyday is judgment day, the best you can do is forgive"

1 person likes this.
  10. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

are you well?
    your posts over the last few months have gotten rather bizarre.
    is that by design or are you in need of help?

1 person likes this.
  11. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Senior Member

I've been going to a Lutheran church all my life and what's normally talked about in church is how we don't do the moral things we should.

12. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

My guess is because morality isn't tied to Christianity

2 people like this.
  13. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Which is why I prefer paganism. We don't have to fear any of this. Our lives, future etc. it's all on us. There's no real rules, you just live life. Afterlife? Who knows, who cares..

1 person likes this.
  14. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

Music can be a good way of spreading morality among like minded people, but sadly it can also be used for the reverse. Some of these ignorant rap (so called artists) seem to glorify violence.
    Jane is originally from a remote country area where the church play an important part in the community. I remember a conversation that we had with her local priest where the subject of confession came up. He was quite clear about his interpretation, saying that if a person confesses about godly issues he has the power of the lord to forgive them. For example, if a mother confessed that she had missed church for 2 weeks because of her new born baby, he would assure her that god would not hold it against her. However, he was adamant that he had no power of forgiveness for worldly sins, so if someone confessed to stabbing another person, he would simply tell them to make their confession at the police station.

15. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

In the start like a cast
    In morality plays
    Our hearts wore a mask
    Of dead rooks in the rain
    The World was our cloister
    No prayer, bent in shame
    Our once lucent plumage
    Stung with horn withered grey
    And away...

16. You act like it's so cool to be "well." "Well" isn't "cool". Cool is cool, baby. Like when you're Master Jive and slick as gelatin screwdriver with a hot sling footloose on a slide of dice.
    ?
    ?I honestly am the Riddler. I don't know whether to capitalize it or not. Also...I am silly. :p

17. RubySoho6

RubySoho6 Organized Chaos

Because I'm not a douchebag. You don't have to be Christian to be a good person. You don't need the fear of god instilled in you to be kind and considerate. I'm not a good person out of fear. I'm a good person because I think most people deserve to be treated kindly.

5 people like this.
  18. Absolutely!
    Living life and treating others as you would wish to be treated is a choice, not a rule that should be followed because of belief in some deity that may or not be real.

1 person likes this.
  19. Amethyst87F

Amethyst87F JesF35

I don't think a person has to be a Christian to do moral things.

I also don't think all Christians only do moral things or mostly moral things.

20. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Considering that the ultimate goal of Christianity is to be "like Christ", I've met many more Pagans that were Christ-like than Christians that were.