Why do ghosts have clothes?

Discussion in 'Weird, Bizarre and Mysterious' started by BlueLightRain, Jul 23, 2013.

1. BlueLightRain

BlueLightRain Member

I don't really believe in ghosts. I guess, it's better to say that I'm VERY skeptical of their existence. I don't completely rule it out but there are always a lot of questions I have regarding the subject. We (my family) have had a few weird experiences when I was growing up and living at home but I don't chalk it up to ghosts. There is supposedly a ghost or some derivative existing in my parents house but that's another story for another time. Anyway, I have always wondered why ghosts wouldn't be naked. Their clothes didn't die, so why are they frequently seen dressed? I usually get some bullshit cobbled together answer after asking this question. I have asked it on all sorts of other places. I had a friend I work with ask it on his conspiracy website he goes to. I didn't feel like making an account on it because that's not my bag.

2. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Hmmm...I've never seen a ghost but I would guess it's so they don't put people off too badly. I mean, if they want to communicate and not have people freaking out too badly I think it's best. They'd probably be better received. Just think how you'd react to anyone else who walked up to you naked.

3. Mike Suicide

Mike Suicide Sweet and Tender Hooligan

to avoid a ticket and possible sex offender registry.

although casper doesnt wear clothes.

4. BlueLightRain

BlueLightRain Member

that's true.. Casper doesn't wear clothes

5. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

See...and how did people react?

"A-a-a-a Ghossssst!"

Yeah, ghosts probably want to fool us into thinking they're living.

6. Burnt

Burnt Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I have never seen a ghost, but I did see a spirit, she was my grandmother and yes clothed in the 1980's clothes she did wear. I believe she showed herself the way I remembered her so not to frighten me. Yet she did frighten me as I was not of aware of this realm at this point in my life. To be honest she was at my side all night long and later in life I understood why.

My mother also saw grandma, but for different reasons and her experience was of frustration and anger from my grandma.

7. TheGhost

TheGhost Auuhhhhmm ...

what is wrong with you people???

:rofl:

8. Mothman

Mothman Senior Member

I would figure that it is because they are the residual consciousness of people who wore clothes everyday of their life? When they manifest themselves to the living, the form they show us is often how they were in life. Also I don't think they always do this, sometimes they are shadows, mists or points of light.

9. BlueLightRain

BlueLightRain Member

Fair enough, mothman. I still lean towards ghosts not existing but a manifestation of our subconscious is just as likely as anything else.

10. BlueLightRain

BlueLightRain Member

a fuckin lot.

11. boo_radley

boo_radley Member

A ghost would freak most people out.

A naked ghost, would freak everyone the fuck out.

12. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

The spirt world is not like the physical world. Often thinking something makes it so. You think "I'm in my favorite suite" and it happens. No one wants to see Uncle Ned naked, so he puts on the suite.

13. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Good question :2thumbsup: I'm a skeptic too in the ghost department though if they exist why would they appear with clothes indeed. Is the idea that they can change that at will by thinking about it (a suite for example) taken for granted?

Although I'm a skeptic I do believe in this one naturally but that's because I made him up myself :D:

14. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

imagine them naked

in other words...youre imagining what you think may be a ghost

15. Asmodean

It's most likely all in our own heads indeed.

16. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

I've seen 3 "ghosts" and I'm certain they were all in my head. They all happened at night, in dark places, when I just woke up or was very tired. Once when I was around 5 years old I thought I seen a soldier standing at my door. The other 2 happened when I was driving late at night and the corner of my eye thought I seen a girl in a torn white dress, both times.

The human brain has a tenancy to interpret shapes in to human forms. Plus I think the line between reality and imagination can get blurred especially at night when tired and transitioning into sleep. The reason they are dressed is of-course because they are figments of our imagination.

17. odonII

odonII O

He does. But he is not really in human form.

It is rare for humans to be naked so I presume it is rare for ghosts to be.

Why would they not be wearing clothes?

If there is different policy up there - then we probably know less than nothing about anything other than down here.

18. BlueLightRain

BlueLightRain Member

I read a thing in a Richard Dawkins book that talked about how the human brain tries to figure things out from not enough information. For example, have you ever had an instance when you heard a sound and you were sure it was a serial killer trying to break into your house or something along those lines? In a lot of cases, it's your 5 senses not receiving enough of the total wavelengths of information (sound, visuals, etc.) because you are simply too far away to receive the stimuli created by the "event". Eventually, you get the complete "picture" by either moving closer, or you figure it out through memories of the sound, image, what have you. What is really your grandmother brushing her teeth a few rooms away, might contain the same frequencies as a "ghost" throwing plates or something.

19. BlueLightRain

BlueLightRain Member

because clothes, to the best of my knowledge can't transcend the astral planes. If a ghost were to be wearing clothes, they would be normal, non see through t-shirts just suspended in mid air. But you always hear about "the lady in the blue dress" or some such shit but the people all say that you can see through her. clothes don't die so they wouldn't have a ghost to give up.

20. odonII

odonII O

We are talking about people materialising after they have died, and you think it isn't possible for them to throw a few clothes on - or certainly items that represent clothing?

21. Asmodean

It seems plausible that it isn't possible. Who says they can control what their astral appearance look like.