Why did you join a forum?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Candy Gal, May 1, 2019.

1. Boozercruiser

Boozercruiser Kenny Lifetime Supporter

Well I am not an old regular Irminsul.
    But I am perverted.
    Do I get a badge or summat?

2. Candy Gal

Candy Gal Lifetime Supporter

Now you are asking for trouble. lol

3. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

I think I joined here while I was searching for some hippie related content when I was an starry eyed high-schooler. I left and then made another account in university.

4. Candy Gal

Well at least you returned.
    Some forum's I just get bored with.

5. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

The forum itself seems to be a dying form of communication, which is a bit sad.

6. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Basically looking for LSD and people into psychedelics and the culture in general. I joined bluelight around the same time, but that site featured people who were way more about pharmacology and imo, rather stringent and almost mechanical about psychedelic use. I also enjoyed the music forums this site had to offer.

I didn't find the LSD initially but what I did discover is that the Research Chemical market had resurrected itself. I tried obscure RC chems several years before joining here, but then the US cracked down on the chems and I had thought they were more or less done. When I joined here, I found that international vendors had taken the lead with RC's and it was somewhat revolutionary to me.

I also went to a Shpongle DJ set with someone from this site within the first year of joining, not having a ton of irl friends into psychedelic stuff, I also found that an appealing aspect of the forum.

7. Candy Gal

Oh that is a shame. I started a chat thread. Fingers crossed.

8. Candy Gal

Good for you.

9. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

I think it's sad too. I love it. It reminds me of what I loved about online friendship making back when I was a young teen discovering chat rooms. Different atmosphere to all the social media sites that followed. Maybe because it doesn't revolve around "profiles". It feels more collective and less ego centric, even when we share pictures and stuff. We post them in collective threads.

10. Candy Gal

I agree. I posted loads of photos on my thread yesterday. Others followed. I like chatting and getting to know folks.

11. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I wouldn't be surprised if forums start utilizing more integration type tools and widgets the way collaboration software like slack use. We actually have a few of those available to us on this website but I dunno if Skip or whomever wants to pay the extra ~$20 or so to make them available.

I think there is something fundamentally limiting about the way standard social media sites present themselves. They tend not to be very useful for significant introspective thought, by either limiting characters, having a more significant groupthink aspect to them or their rapid pace and perspectives are usually tied to a person as opposed to the subject.
    The anonymity and current static nature of forums is perhaps a drawback in terms of having them compete with social media but I think the anonymity can be an appeal and if they become more dynamic, they'll be fine.

12. Total Darkness

Total Darkness 100% Cocoa

Very true. When i first entered the forums there was much more interaction and interesting characters. I remember it being hard to keep up with interesting threads because it would go by quick.

I first entered the forums around summer of 2011 and became more active later that year.

13. Boozercruiser

Boozercruiser Kenny Lifetime Supporter

And I can vouch for that Candy.:smile:
    Nice lovely Lady you are.

14. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I joined long ago when the site was called Hippieland. I wanted to connect with hippies.

15. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

It was roughly the same with me.
    Then I discovered that the members are regular and capable of articulate discussions on a wide range of subjects.

Either that, or it is the only site that would put up with a geriatric opera loving nutty professor. :yum::yum::yum:

16. Candy Gal

Interesting thoughts.
    I am fairly new to forums. But I do believe many are attracted by anonymity, they can be anyone they care to be and very often do.
    I have personally witnessed a male acting like a female and vice versa.
    I never lie on forums, you have to be extremely devious to remember untruths.
    There are always cliques, that is forums.

17. Candy Gal

Members come and go from forums. I get bored with some. I have belonged to many with severe moderation, I think that often spoils a forum.

18. Candy Gal

You are too kind. x

19. Candy Gal

Are you? lol

20. puggybear

puggybear stars may twinkle-but I shine!

Forum?????

So - this ISN'T the psychology evaluation data auto-evaluation site?

.....oops.....ignore everything I've ever said!!!