why did russian soldiers rape so much in ww2?

Discussion in 'History' started by gcup1986, Oct 18, 2012.

1. gcup1986

gcup1986 Guest

why did soviet russian soldiers rape 2 million german women girls and even concentration camp prisoners??

i know war is always bad but the german army was never full of serial rapists! or the american, british french etc

so why did they rape so much??

2. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

"In some cases, these crimes may have been committed on express orders of the early Soviet government's policy of Red Terror." - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_war_crimes

3. desert-rat

desert-rat Senior Member

I wont justify rape , but the n.a.t.z.s did a lot of bad things when they invaded Russia . They may of been getting back at the n.a.t.z. s desert rat

4. Irresponsible Hermit

Irresponsible Hermit Member

yeah, not sure exactly but there's a race hate thing here. the nazis referred to the russians as 'untermensch' which means under-men, lesser people, or defective humans ...

and I guess the rapes were revenge to 'pollute' the aryan gene pool.

there was lot of really fucked stuff going on in europe around those times about racial purity. the nazis weren't the only ones into that stuff.

sortof on thread ... the nazis hated the jews not only for ravial reasons but because jews were such good record keepers. thus part of the holocaust was to destry every record jews made,

this causes today jews who are looking into their geneology lots and lots of difficulty.

so in a sense revenge of the nazis continues even today...

Point ... Counterpoint. thesis ... antithesis.

5. Koryssa_RUS

Koryssa_RUS Member

Hello gcup1986, again.

It is unfortunate this history still can cause hate between people. I do not think I will ever know how to feel of this subject. For example, I hate such people who can do this rape to a human being, it is terrible.

However, I know that my family and country suffer terribly in this war, almost 30 million people killed. Much of these soldiers who did rape also saved us, and defeated Hitler. I understand they maybe was suffering inside, had lost their home, wife and child and wanted revenge.

I think it is very difficult to answer.

6. TributetoME

TributetoME Member

i think a lot of it has to do with invasion. armies that invade tend to rape while armies that defend most likely aren't going to rape their own population.

i'm sure instances of rape occurred in all country's armies.

7. Man Yellow

Man Yellow Member

You're fucking serious?

8. -Yggdrasil-

-Yggdrasil- Einherjar

I find the "taking revenge" statement a little far fetched. Lets not talk about the German population just yet, instead lets discuss what happened to Poland when the Russians came through. There's just as much hate far Russia in Poland than there is for Germany.
    When the Germans took hold of their Scorched Earth, the Lithuanians, Finns, Estonains and Baltic States were only too happy to help mop up the towns after the Blitzkrieg advancement. While the Germans and the SS take the most flack from this, it must be observed that certain sections of the SS were not even of German origin. There were even Muslims in the SS at the late stages of the war so throw your racial theories straight out the window.
    Because Russia has been an arse to everyone around it, volunteers were more than happy for their own payback. Heck even the Baltic States Militia continued to fight the Red Army well into the 50's.

9. the-nerve-ending-fairy

the-nerve-ending-fairy Banned

They are, I am afraid.

10. AngryFrenchGuy

AngryFrenchGuy Member

According to historian Anthony Beevor, it may have had to do with the fact that the Soviet Union was a very "prudish" society, where sex was taboo. Guys (and girls) did not receive any kind of sex ed and, in the process, did not learn what is good from what's not.

A valid hypothesis AFAIC.

11. sunfighter

sunfighter Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Bullshit. The Americans and British approached Berlin from the west and the Russians from the east. Almost all the rapes were committed by the Russians.

12. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

Wasn't American society pretty prudish at the time as well? Maybe not to the extent of the Russians (I know nothing about it) but... I'd be surprised to hear there was any real sex ed in the US at the time.

13. GoofyGooberz

GoofyGooberz Just Bitchy!!!!!!!!

Are you fucking kidding me??

I think really if you look back at history through out the ages you will see that any man who went to war raped and pillaged....... tribial, medievil, the settlers landing in america with the indians...... should I go on?

14. sunfighter

sunfighter Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

That's simply not true. The concept of honor does exist.

15. AngryFrenchGuy

AngryFrenchGuy Member

I think we can all agree that soldiers raping women has always existed and, unfortunately, is likely to exist for years to come. Last week (or was it the week before?), some american soldiers have been arrested and accused of raping a young girl in Japan.

Some british, american and other soldiers did rape women in western Europe during WW2.

It is well documented that some australian soldiers did go on a rampage to rape prostitutes in Boulogne-sur-Mer (France), November 11th, 1918. "Let's fuck 'em for free" was the ralying cry.

But it seems that this phenomenon took a turn for the worst, by its scale, during the campaign that led the soviet Red Army to Berlin between 1943 and 1945.

We do not have a definite answer as to why that happened: grand scale mysogyny, pure hatred, bad sex ed, all of the above, who knows?

Anthony Beevor's explanation points toward a certain conception of sex ed that took place in the Soviet Union at the time.

I would have to read the book again to better explain his hypothesis.

But one thing is sure: these unfortunate events happened and there is not point denying it.

16. FlyingFly

FlyingFly Dickens

seriously?

seriously?

First of all, you will never had completly valid data, as it was changed to show one side in a bad light.

Of course defenders weren't raping their people. But when they invaded other countries they did it just like others.

You think that americans didn't rape anyone in Iraq? Sure they did.

People killed and raped while invading ( and while not ) through centuries and they still do.

Why most people don't kill and rape in a society? Because they fear the punishment. If they havent feared it, they would kill, rape and torture everyone.

Here comes the dilema if human is naturally evil, or if it is created evil, for example by childhood abuse.

Childhood abuse is the leading cause of all violent/bad decisions/things futher in life. Both physical and mental abuse.

When people are on war, they are invading someone, and they are winning, they feel powerfull. They are over the law in some ways. They don't worry about consequences because there won't be any. That's why they kill civilians, use violence or rape people.

katsia likes this.
  17. farmout

farmout All who wander arent lost Lifetime Supporter

Stress relief......;-/ And payback...

18. Saul50

Saul50 Members

It was not only the Soviets who committed mass rape in World War II. Someone needs to know the episode called Le Marrochinatte that occurred in Italy in 1944. Moroccan, Algerian and Tunisian troops ("volunteeres') under the command of the French army looted, killed and raped women teenagers and children (even men). The rapes occurred in the cities of Latina, Lenola, Campodimele, Fondi, Formia, Sabaudia, San Felice Circeo, Sezze, Cori, Norma, Roccagorga, Maenza, Prossedi, Spigno Saturnia, Frosinone, Ceccano, Giuliano di Roma, Vallecorsa, Castro dei Volsci , Villa Santo Stefano, Amaseno, Esperia, Supino, Pofi, Pratica, Pastena, Pico, Pontecorvo. Few perpetrators of this barbarity had been punished by the Allies.

19. Intheknow

Intheknow Members

Russian military encouraged masterbations reguraly in the trenches to increase desensitisation. They wanted to win at all cost cause the nazis came pretty close . Once they won they were very decesitised sexually already master bating together. But no pre frontontal cortex was not dropped just changed so their reasoning was switched to decientization.

20. dethmetalchick

dethmetalchick VaknaĆ°i

They were too busy firebombing whole cities to focus on slightly more petty war crimes.