Why Come Out If Not In A Relationship?

Discussion in 'Coming Out and Confused!' started by Cannabliss88, Oct 8, 2014.

1. Cannabliss88

Cannabliss88 Members

First I'd like to know why this thread was deleted? But anyway I just came out to my parents and a couple friends that I'm bi.

Not being in a relationship, is it even relevant to come out? I don't feel like I'm hiding anything when I'm not in any actual relationship.

I've had a couple gay experiences with friends of mine, one who is bi and in the closet, the other who is gay but is there any reason to come out to my straight friends just because of this?

1 person likes this.
  2. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

i had a friend once who was bi, for the longest time people suspected he wasn't straight and by the time this was confirmed it was cool anyways and no surprise because people were already pretty sure about him not being straight ;)

1 person likes this.
  3. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I hate labels so I say no. If you're not planning to sleep with someone I don't see the relevance of it. I prefer people get to know one another otherwise. There's often too much focus on sexuality. There's so much more to being a person.

1 person likes this.
  4. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

true dat

5. KewlDewd66

KewlDewd66 Member

Cherished as it is, the coming out concept remains deeply flawed.

There is no reason for anyone to go around telling everybody else know what their sexual orientation is. First off, this is a largely private matter. Second off, if the others disagree, what are you going to do? Stop being bi or gay. How important is it for you that the others "support" you in your sexual orientation. How do they manifest that support?

On a societal level, the things certainly look very different. By making ourselves publicly present, gay men have achieved major victories in promoting equal rights, stopping discrimination, etc. No one should ever try to belittle these achievements.

The truth is that those who became politically active while promoting the gay cause had both legitimate and personal interests in the matters at hand. For a number of other gay men who do not wish to marry, serve in the military, etc., the issue is of largely cultural importance. The coming out activists have caused a great cultural shift in society allowing all gay/bi/tg etc. folks to live their lives in a less restrictive environment.

Yet, on a deeply personal level, your coming out is something that you have to decide upon, while fully understanding that this act may have possibly a significant impact on your life.

KD

1 person likes this.
  6. Cannabliss88

Cannabliss88 Members

Thanks KewlDewd66 that provides I lot of clarity and I agree 100%

7. Biodome1980

Biodome1980 Guest

I came out to myself and that is all that matters. If you aren't in a gay relationship there is no reason to unless you just want ppl to know.

I outted myself to a coworker but that was only because he is gay and I wanted to sleep with him.

1 person likes this.
  8. la Principessa

la Principessa Old School HF Member

I've known I was bi for a while, and I never saw the reason to come out because I've only been in long term relationships with men. I very recently started dating a woman for the first time, and only now am I feeling like I need to "come out". It's really only necessary because you want to be open and proud of the person you're with. It's a real dilemma for people who swing both ways.

9. Born25YearsTooLate

Born25YearsTooLate Hunting the mighty whifflesnark

this is my somewhat abrasive opinion - unless we're discussing rubbing bits together and winding up sweaty and sticky, I don't care what you're packing or who you like. you are a person - that's all. anything else is a detail. just like I don't care if you're a blue-skinned centauri dwarf. (ok, I might have some questions, but nothing about that makes you register as anything other than 'person' to me, either.)

when it comes to a question of rubbing bits, then yeah, I like what I like, but 'what I like' is pretty broad. so far it has to include humanoid and physically female in a reasonably good state of health. (not interested in any penis but mine. yes i've tried it. does nothing for me. and yes this might include elves, orcs or possibly gynoform aliens.)

so dude(ette?), here's my answer - you do you. You're still a person to me. Only pertinent thing is what pronoun you want me to use, and are you a flaming assweasel of a person.

10. Adamskiffle

Adamskiffle Members

It's up to you, their are pros & cons to being an inny or an outy.