Why choose vegetarianism?

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by Coleco, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Sleeping Caterpillar

Sleeping Caterpillar Members

I've never gone vegan only vegetarian, and more often pescitarian. (only seafood)

I have to say, that the transition led to a 3 month feeling of euphoria. I would sometimes switch to a vegetarian diet just for this feeling again, probably will again at some point too.

I agree with you though, the reason I never stayed vegetarian was mostly because I originally thought of it as some cause, and then realized it's somewhat flawed.

Almost any vegetarian promoting video will show you how pigs are treated. They squeal the most loud, and it looks sad. But have you ever looked at how chickens and cows get slaughtered? Cows literally line up, and watch every cow in front of them get butchered. But they remain innoncently in line for their turn. It's a little hard to take seriously.
    --

OP, never though of how gathering vegan resources could ironically be killing creatures to do it. Though to be fair, most vegans/veggies i met like to grow their own food, which i think is a good alternative.

2. crispy91

crispy91 Member

I don't like eating anything that dreams....

3. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

if the US (and the world really) wasn't so obsessed with eating meat, i think i could do without. it doesn't seem like there's much effort into producing foods without meat.... everything seems to want to include meat in it. most people eat far too much meat and i'm not sure that the amounts that many people eat are healthy. yea, i eat it but adding it to everything is kind of disgusting to me.

4. skip

skip Founder Administrator

What's disgusting about meat, esp. beef, is all the resources that get utilized just so ppl can eat meat.

We are sacrificing the future ability of the world (and humanity) to survive by destroying forests, (yes they're still doing this for McDonalds and others), dedicating another huge amount of land just to growing feed for cattle, polluting that land in the process.

If people ate half as much meat as they do now, we could save all the rainforests. But instead whole societies that were primarily vegetarian are now going to meat based diets (Asia, India), and deveoloping countries as well.

It takes 10 times as much land to provide one calorie of energy via beef as it does via vegetable sources.

So if everyone was a vegetarian, it could free up huge amounts of land to feed everyone in the world for another 100 years, and save what few pristine environments remain.

As more and more ppl eat and live like Americans, we are doomed...

Let's not even get into what is happening to our Oceans (say goodbye to your favorite fish, I hope you like eating jellyfish!)

5. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Or not necessarily vegetarian but just a responsible and moderate meat eater. Half as much meat is indeed already a huge change for the better.

6. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

Affordable "humane" meat is extremely expensive (or non-existent) in parts of the world where people eat the most meat. It's much less costly to stop eating meat and ensures the greatest environmental benefit, I think. Obviously, it's considered "extreme" by most folks. I'll never quite understand that viewpoint.

7. Asmodean

If it is non existant that should change (as it is tried to in a lot of places in the west already), if it is extremely expensive moderation would help a lot. Not buy all those cheap rubbish meat and products with cheap meat in it, and see how much money they will save. This can be used to eat quality meat once or twice a week.
    The best thing for the environment might be no meat industry at all, sure, but that's like saying the best thing for the environment is no highways at all either. It is not about it being extreme or not (although it sounds kind of extreme anyway), it is about people not seeing the neccessity to give it all up, they love it and see a lot of beneficial use in it. It is about seeing the benefits of eating quality meat in moderation. Personally I am willing to try a lot, from fried insects to a diet that consists mainly of vegetarian food, but I don't see the point in stop eating meat as a whole. It is good for me. And me buying quality meat is good for the industry (as far as my consumer habits can give off a signal)

8. skip

skip Founder Administrator

Here's a little factoid.... One pound of beef takes 1880 gallons of water to produce...

That's more than my house uses in a month (and it costs > $50 a month).

Chickens take 635 or so gallons per pound.

Potatoes take 60 gallons per pound...

more info here:
    http://www.vegsource.com/articles/pimentel_water.htm

We are in the middle of a long-term drought in California, yet the beef industry continues to waste enormous amounts of water just for meat eaters.

2 people like this.
  9. Asmodean

Kill all cows. Filthy water consumers!

10. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

And pin the blame on almond trees. Yes, trees need water! Who knew?
    Think about it, water growing crops that are almost exclusively fed to animals for slaughter is a huge waste.

So are golf courses and lawns, but I digress.

11. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

The fact is, agricultural spray irrigation is one of the biggest wastes of water there is. Most of it is lost to the atmosphere through evaporation before it even hits the ground. All the farms need to gear up for drip irrigation, as a few already have in some regions, such as Israel.

I love golf, but I'm a big proponent of redesigning the courses to use far less water. People would have to play on less than immaculate greens and fairways, but so what? I don't care that much about beef but golf is the greatest game ever invented! I say turn the cow pastures into golf courses. :-D

12. Asmodean

You're right that it is a huge waste in dry areas. In areas with lots of water though, it is less of a waste. There it doesn't have to be a problem to grow crops exclusively for cows. After all, they need food too. Of course it usually comes down to the details and it can be said they are getting too much corn in a lot of places.

13. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

The way we originally raised cattle in a north America was open range.
    No irrigation.
    Numbers I recall form some project said that in Texas alone, five million cattle were grazed in the 1870s.
    This was before grain finishing and CAFO (they are different, but mostly only by scale).

Now we graze for two to three years, and send steers to auction, which leads to a feedlot, or CAFO directly. Some steers will stand in urine and manure eating corn, soy and chicken litter (which includes male chicks) for up to two years, depending on market prices.

And all that soy and corn is grown on irrigated land. Dry land product isn't considered as desirable. And the demand for meat is increasing.

Now, when we talk about areas with water versus areas without, remember a couple things: we truck cattle all over to the CAFOs; and water rights are weird things.
    Most people know the Colorado River doesn't reach the Sea of Cotrtez any longer. (If you didn't, now you do. National Geographic has a photo shoot on a recent, and singular, flooding of that stretch. Many spillways were opened to flush out sediment in the Grand Canyon. The result was the river connecting, for a few days, to the sea.)
    But why? A combo of hydroelectric dams and the reservoirs they create and water rights calls on the river.
    Colorado snowpack is 238 percent of average, as of June 1.
    California's snowpack is at ZERO.
    Both states cycle through drought patterns which are remarkably similar.
    Most of the snow melt will leave Colorado by water treaty, in two directions. Some will go east, but most will go west, through the Colorado. It will power and water the desert cities and industrial agriculture. Phoenix as we know it today exists because of Colorado snow, as does Las Vegas, thanks to the 1911 Compact.
    And don't get me started on LA.

What's being grown? Most of the produce for the US. Lots of hay and (usually GMO) grain/soy for cattle, pigs and chickens. Tree crops from citrus to macadamia.
    And golf courses, lawns and sod farms. All of which will drink up obscene amounts of potable water.
    Grey water can and should be cleaned again for consumption. Black water should be cleaned and used as we use grey water now.

Then there's water bottling. But I'll save that rant.

So we have to decide if we value human life enough to conserve water by changing our diets.
    Vegetarianism isn't always about the slaughter animals. It's bigger. It's resources that are failing, now.
    Cities and towns are going dry. Personal wells? Dry.

I'm betting most people don't know if their water source is surface or ground, rechargeable or not. It has to do with the rock formations surrounding ground water.
    Tip, the answer in Colorado is no. And cisterns are very questionably legal based on a concept called use to extinction. And the 1911 compact and it's relatives.

14. Ginge

Ginge Ye Olde Member

I could write a whole laundry list of reasons why I don't eat meat of any kind (real or faux), but I'll just say "health reasons" and leave it at that.

15. SexBunnyAlexa

SexBunnyAlexa Members

I'm a vegetarian because I don't approve of the horrific animal abuses that go on. Not just that but the treatment of many farmers is also awful. Chicken Farmers for example are treated among the worst. Our government will continue to protect those that abuse animals horrifically, but I will not contribute to any of the money they make.

For me it's not about killing animals. It's about how they're treated while they're alive.

16. stefanel

stefanel Members

ofc Veganism does not lead to ethical purity, but is part of it. Non-violence or Ahimsa.

17. DeputyHawk

DeputyHawk Members

I became a pescaratarian earlier in the year and only ate seafood roughly once a week. Now, I'm weaning off the seafood and making the transition into being 100% vegetarian. Ideally, I would like to be vegan but that is simply impractical. There are a number of reasons why I stopped eating (land) meat in the first place. A lot of it has to do with my spirituality. I don't believe that human beings are necessarily above the other animals. Our gift for abstract thought is often poisoned by our egotism which promotes the notion that we are above nature and ergo, can do as we please with it. And people do, look at the meat industry for example.

1 person likes this.
  18. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I am with you there.....mankind has too many inflated egos, but at least not everyone does.

19. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

Good point, it's why I will never own pets again. It's cruel to domesticate animals against their will for our own entertainment and pleasure. kinda sick If you really think about it.

Plus its a big impact on the environment, a massive waste of resources, corn, wheat, barley, all the good food we waste on pets that humans could be eating.

Think about it for more than two seconds before everyone with pets 'dogpiles' me, lol