Why choose vegetarianism?

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by Coleco, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

And they did it more unified and efficient than any human colony ever would :sunny:

2. Joker8six

Joker8six Members

somewhere in that deep dark well of fear and anxiety of a heart that one has there is an actual loving propensity that exsists. if you u are fortunate enough to not totally become desensified from a lifetime of eating dead carcusesand still are able to access certain this loving propensity, than u will know that its very real, and worth inquiring about and seeking out. Now if u have come to the comclusion that its best to not cause unneccesry distress to other people in order to gain anything, than surely it shouldnt be very difficult to try to consider that all living entities humans, animals - birds, beasts, aquatics, insects and any other living entity deserves a certain level of respect. This is kind of a basic principle that our parents or guardians or instructors, and so many walks of life teach of "treat others how u wanna be treated". - great! Okay sounds logical.. better not cause trouble to n e one else because i dont want trouble caused to me. so why do people think this principle only applies to humans? - because of a misunderstanding of how things work. If peace is to be a reality than its a no brainer that peace extends to all living entities. And if u understand the selfish self centered nature of the conditioned human mind than it makes total sense that they will kill another living entity to cook it and season it and begin eatin it for the sake of satisfying the senses. But that doesnt make it okay. peeps need to check what they feel and no inside and not be scared to think for themselves.

3. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Ants are awesome anyway. They work systematically together almost as a one huge strand. It's not like ants don't have free will, they just live for the benefit and growth of their empire and that's really something humans could learn from. So outta here with your anti-ant demeanor!

4. IMjustfishin

IMjustfishin Member

i was a vegetarian for a few years, and i couldn't gain the weight i wanted (body building). i chose eating meat instead of taking supplements because its more natural and healthier.

its too bad about the forest though, that sux :(
    i cant afford food from the local organic places so i usually just go to my local supermarket, but if i had a choice i would choose the more environmentally friendly food.

5. I find it difficult to eat meat, but I do because my family does. I try to make it more pleasant by thinking to myself that unlike animals, we humans have an agenda. We have to be pro-human first, and it's actually a privilege to the animals that they get to serve our cause by being our food.

6. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

yeah, what a privilege....

7. Moonglow181

8. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

Well, that's a special brainwashing.
    I know that it is in some religious traditions, as justification for bloodlust.

I see the privilege as the humans, for having a choice in what to eat. (See the first world privilege thread)

Listen to your inner voice. You say it's difficult to eat meat. Why do it? Why force yourself to eat harm when you don't have to for survival's sake?

9. I actually prefer packaged, almost astronaut food. I live with a chef, though. Meat's not bad if you can trick your mind into thinking it's not a bad thing. I mean, isn't it good for a cow to have a purpose? We think it's important to have a purpose. A goal. Cows have no other great cause. But if a cow can become part of the human cause, isn't that a good thing?

10. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Senior Member

If a cow is free to roam the fields and have a family I'm not against eating it after it's lived a meaningful life. It's 6 good years and just one bad day.

11. Moonglow181

Most animals that are raised for food have the shittiest lives. It is just too sad.
    i cannot stand it. :(

12. Asmodean

Agreed.

13. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I'm thinking about giving up meat completely. I only eat it a few times a week so I end up cooking a lot of vegetarian meals anyway, but lately when I do eat meat I take like 2 bites and get really grossed out.

morally speaking I dont have a problem with eating meat - its just the nature of things. But I do have a problem with factory farming and I can't really afford to eat locally and humanely raised meat.

14. drumminmama

There's plenty of prepackaged veg food.

Y are simply defending your choice to eat meat in a vegetarian forum.
    Go talk to Pressed Rat in health and discuss paleo.

Because you are treading the trolling line here...
    MOD HAT ON.
    and I won't stand for that.
    MOD HAT OFF.

15. drumminmama

Perfectly good reason to consider it.
    Not everyone here is an ethical vegetarian/vegan.
    Plenty of health and matter of taste veg heads here, too.
    What help do you need or want?

16. All I am doing is talking about my difficulties in eating meat in a thread about choosing veganism. It's totally pertinent. I'm not treading on the "trolling line" no matter how much you happened to dislike what I have to say. So go ahead and use your awe-inspiring mod power to ban me for a day or whatever just for talking like everybody else. It's not like it hasn't happened before around here.

17. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Since I cook so many vegetarian meals I think it would be am easy enough transition. Even when I cook with meat its rarely the centerpiece of the meal, I usually just add meat to meals that can easily be cooked without..like adding meatballs to tomato sauce or chicken to stir fry.

I guess my biggest concern would be making up for nutrients most commonly found in meat, like protein and iron.

18. drumminmama

Your writing reads like a defense of your choice to be omnivore. You have the right to be so, but not to post it in vegetarian.
    Wrong forum. There's health, where you'll find the paleo crowd, and munchies, where its a free for all. And kind of fun.

Do you want to be veg?

19. drumminmama

Protein isn't a real worry if you eat enough food full stop.
    Iron, a bit trickier.
    See the FAQ for some links I posted long ago.

But when I'm feeling like I need iron, out come lentils and greens.

20. Asmodean

Beans can replace meat for a lot of stuff too, including iron.