Why Cant Vegans eat cheese, eggs and milk?

Discussion in 'So you want to be a Vegetarian?' started by hitomi, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Willy_Wonka_27

Willy_Wonka_27 Surrender to the Flow

Yes, your own breast milk is vegan. Formula and pablum are not vegan.

2. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

I'm hoping this is a real question, since it gets flung out in arguments: the mother makes the decision to feed her child.
    Cows/goats do not make the choice to provide milk.
    Vegan is a philosophical view that states animals have inherent value beyond the products humans process them into. They tend to see themselves as abolitionists.
    Vegan lifestyle does not use animal product/byproduct.

3. Sarah_Again

Sarah_Again Inspires Irrelevancy

Eh.

Op-simple answer- they don't want to.

The handful of vegans I know don't do it for 'animal rights',
    but simply because they find it icky.
    I was watching a television show about eating fish sperm, and when I told my brother I thought it was gross he, being vegan, said 'Well, what do you think eggs are?'
    (or something to that extent).

We have chickens on our grandparents land, which pop out eggs like mad.
    And when my brother lived there, he still wouldn't eat them. It isn't always about the animals suffering. Sometimes people just consider it gross.

4. Willy_Wonka_27

Actually if you cook up sperm like scrambled eggs it will come out with a very similar product. Like egg whites. You could make a sperm omelet if you wanted. Eggs are just more nutritious, easier stored, and available in bulk.

5. drumminmama

<wondering how willy knows the above info>

6. Willy_Wonka_27

Internet.

The answer to every question is right here. Although the video that sparked my interest in this subject nearly made me barf.

7. zombiewolf

zombiewolf Senior Member

It is unbelievable to me no one has stated the biggest reason vegans and veggies don't eat cheese...:confused:
    It is because cheese is made with Rennet!...

Natural calf rennet is extracted from the inner mucosa of the fourth stomach chamber (the abomasum) of young calves. These stomachs are a by-product of veal production.:eek:

ZW

8. Sarah_Again

I bring that up every time someone attempts to talk to me about how cool they are, what with their vegetarian self. Most occasions trendy kids at lunch will pick off the pepperonis from their pizza because 'meat is murder' (all while preaching to everyone around them) and I will rain on their parade with rennet.

9. zombiewolf

zombiewolf Senior Member

Nice...
    Some veggie friends of mine pulled out a little container of "veggie bac-o-bits" for their salad.
    I snatched it away from them and quickly read the ingredients label aloud...soy, textured veg protein, salt,... NATURAL PORK FLAVORING!:eek:

So then I sayz "Where do you think natural pork flavoring comes from? :D

ZW

10. Sarah_Again

My brother is a vegan- and no fool about it.
    I am not, but I still like to know what I am eating. So he tells me what's up about it.
    Anytime someone consults me about becoming vegan, I tell them to avoid all foods that say 'natural flavoring' at all, if they are serious about it.

11. FireflyInTheDark

FireflyInTheDark Sell-out with a Heart of Gold

Good call! I completely forgot about that...

12. MaccaByrd

MaccaByrd Member

Not necessarily. There's lots of vegetarian cheese. Just very little vegan cheese.

13. zombiewolf

zombiewolf Senior Member

I have heard there is a vegetable rennet, but I don't know how good the cheese is. Haven't tried it...

I assume "vegan cheese" is made out of nuts, soy or some vegetable protein or another?

ZW

14. Tsurugi_Oni

Tsurugi_Oni Member

Some vegans taken ethical food to the extreme. It all depends on the individual, but "stealing" from an animal , not wanting to cause pain, or equating animal products with animals are common arguments I hear for going vegan. If you ask me I think they're crazy and mostly misled, but totally agree with a high-vegetarian diet for health reasons.

15. Aristartle

Aristartle Snow Falling on Cedars Lifetime Supporter

This was a serious question drumminmama, so thanks so much.

I couldn't figure the answer because I assumed that the vegan philosophy was based on the view that animals are to be respected and never should be used for the benefit of humans, and yet I got confused for where humans as animals came into light through the philosophy.

Anyway, how do vegans feel about honey?? I'm just curious.

16. Sarah_Again

All the vegans I know eat honey.

But- all the vegans I know aren't in it for the animals.

17. drumminmama

Astartle, same theory.. how people act on it may differ.

18. ValValPeace

ValValPeace Member

Most vegans do not beleive in using animals for humans. Just like I don't beleive in animals for no good reason. Not to eat I mean. So there you go :D

19. drumminmama

Tilamook uses vegetable enzymes and is a seriously tasty cheese.

20. The Center

The Center Member

If it's free range, both for the milk and the eggs, I see no problem, if not, screw that shit.

I'm also omni but I only eat animals that has had a life beforehand, so no lamb. I try and stay away from beef to, unless I know what conditions the animal has lived in.
    I also buy the entire animal from a farmer whom I know has treated the animal well, and has given the animal a full life. No adolescents or calfs. The meat is more flavourful anyway, even though it isn't as tender. I find lamb tasteless anyway. A full grown sheep seems to be much more tasty.

I can find free range dairy, but free range eggs are VERY rare around here, so I don't eat eggs.

I am also against using synthetic nutrients, and I try to grow as much of my own food as possible. I believe in no cruelty. I feel plants are just as alive as animals, and just because it is a plant doesn't mean it hasn't endured cruelty. I feel that I can eat meat if the animal was dealt with in a humane, loving fashion. Things have to die for me to live, that is just the way it is, but I feel that this is all the more reason to love and care and protect these things, since they give me life and one day, when I die, I will give them life by becoming part of the food chain again. It is all about respect.