Why be a Vegetarian??

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by nelapse, Jan 23, 2005.

1. minjeig

minjeig Member

"I bet you could if you hadn't eaten for a week.

It's one thing to have ideals when we have a belly full of warm food, but if we had to survive in the middle of nowhere, killing animals would quickly become easy, natural and guilt free"

this is silly. have i not eaten for a week? nope. do i plan in the immediate future to not eat for a week? nope. is it likely that at any point in my life i will not eat for a week? again, nope. and if i did get into a rut where for an entire week i had no food, i'll just assume that i'm in north america still and can find myself some vegetables (which are cheaper and easier to attain than meat). further, if i were to actively seek out meat instead of veggies it would probably make me vomit, thus worsening my situation. beyond that, if i were on a deserted island with no other people and no vegetation whatsoever, then yes, i would eat an animal. strangely though, i don't often find myself in that kind of a situation often.

2. WalterK

WalterK Member

hmm...maybe not.

3. ryupower

ryupower NO capcom included

I don't want to support animal cruelty by paying for it just so I can have it's taste. That's why.

4. ryupower

ryupower NO capcom included

You forgot Da Vinci. He loved animals so much that he even bought caged/abused animals just to set them free. :)

And don't forget Banji-boy and Thomas Edison! ;)

5. amethystrse

amethystrse Member

For me it's simple. I believe in following my body and my intuition. And both are leading me away from meat. Also, when I haven't eaten meat in a long while I feel much healthier and happier. I also feel more spiritual.

While I love animals and feel they should be treated with respect, I have to say that's not a part of my reasoning. Though, it's becomming so. Whenever I eat meat now (still working on getting it out of my life) I feel like it's just "dead" and whenever I eat veggies, fruits, or nuts the food feels "alive". Probably because that's exactly how it is.

I never try to justify my way of eating to others though. If they don't like it, too bad. I do what I truly feel is best for my mind, body, and soul. And the more I do it the better I feel in all three areas. :D

*big hugs to all*

6. amethystrse

amethystrse Member

"I bet you could if you hadn't eaten for a week.

It's one thing to have ideals when we have a belly full of warm food, but if we had to survive in the middle of nowhere, killing animals would quickly become easy, natural and guilt free"

So long as I wasn't in a desolate area without any edible plants, then I could very easily not need to eat meat. I mean, you can live off of pine if you had to! Tastes yuck but you'll live. Can I find fruit? Nuts? vegetables? Are there plants with leaves? Berries?

Granted, not every plant and fruit is good for you and some are poisonous. But, chances are you'll find ones that you know to be safe. And, chances are that if there aren't any edible plants then there isn't going to be any animals you should eat either. Think about it, what are the animals eating?

Also, if I was suddenly stuck in the middle of nowhere chances are I wouldn't have anything to go hunting with on me anyways, so foraging would be my best bet.

7. Omni Vore

Omni Vore Member

probably, but it's interesting what a few days of bugger-all food can do to the mind.

What about those young 'ladies' on one of the Survivor series? They quickly turned from being "Valley girls" to hog killers

8. amethystrse

amethystrse Member

You would be surprised the number of people who have no idea how to forage. I watched the first season of The Real Gilligan's Island and I couldn't believe how long it took them to try and find their own food! It wasn't until one of the guys started getting really sick from not eating that they even bothered to look for something. Until then, the food that was all around them was just background decoration or something.

Truth is, if before going on one of those shows the people just took the time to learn about what edible plants are in the area they're going...or what edible plants are around just about anywhere, and what they looked like when not in a can or on a shelf...then they would've been perfectly fine. But, instead they're all starving and going against their beliefs because they're unable to forage because they have no clue.

Eating meat, IMO is always a choice. You can choose to have it as part of your diet or you can choose not to. Just like any other food that is available to us. It's only when that choice is taken away that things change. I mean, I would choose to eat meat over starvation. But, I would rather forage for fruit and nuts and other edible plants than eat the meat and so long as I have that choice I will do so.

*hugs*
    Jessie