Why Aren't Atheists A Protected Group Like Muslims?

Discussion in 'Agnosticism and Atheism' started by TheSamantha, Aug 9, 2016.

1. TheSamantha

TheSamantha Member

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/8937856/Muslim-women-not-used-to-drinking-walk-free-after-attack-on-woman.html

https://www.jihadwatch.org/2011/12/uk-gang-of-muslim-girls-who-savagely-beat-non-muslim-woman-let-off-because-they-werent-used-to-drink?doing_wp_cron=1471208770.2479479312896728515625

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IyVtyqHvac

2. stormountainman

stormountainman Soy Un Truckero

Christian extremists are a problem too. In Oklahoma, Texas, Florida, Missouri, and Indiana there are all sorts of cases where Christians have attacked and or attacked and killed Muslims. In Missouri, a furniture salesman refused to sell furniture to a MUslims denist and his wife. In Texas, a white man gunned down a Muslim man in a road rage incident. In Waco Texas, David Koresh ran a Christian compound, dealt in gun sand military surplus sales, fathered 28 children with a bunch of different women, and claimed to be Jesus. Robert Matthews founded the Order, robbed armored cars and killed people so he could form a white country in the 11 northwestern states. He drove down to Denver and killed radio talkshow host Allen Berg. In Florida, a bunch of nuts have set up no Muslim Zones around their gun shops.

3. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

All Republicans I can assume.

4. Adventuregirlx

Adventuregirlx Members

Yea. Gotcha. Extremists are extremists. Just so happens that most christians have learned to ignore the violent parts of bible. Islam is a newer religion. [1quote name="stormountainman" post="7933289" timestamp="1471210582"]

Christian extremists are a problem too. In Oklahoma, Texas, Florida, Missouri, and Indiana there are all sorts of cases where Christians have attacked and or attacked and killed Muslims. In Missouri, a furniture salesman refused to sell furniture to a MUslims denist and his wife. In Texas, a white man gunned down a Muslim man in a road rage incident. In Waco Texas, David Koresh ran a Christian compound, dealt in gun sand military surplus sales, fathered 28 children with a bunch of different women, and claimed to be Jesus. Robert Matthews founded the Order, robbed armored cars and killed people so he could form a white country in the 11 northwestern states. He drove down to Denver and killed radio talkshow host Allen Berg. In Florida, a bunch of nuts have set up no Muslim Zones around their gun shops.[/quote]

5. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

They got suspended sentences, 150 hours community work, and one of them got a curfew order according to the Telegraph. That's a long way from being acquitted, which means to be found not guilty. A suspended sentence gives you a criminal record, and if you break the law again within it's time limit you'd probably go to jail.It also saves the taxpayer money as it is expensive to lock people up. Community work means they have to do 150 hours of work with no pay on social or community projects.

It's quite common in the UK for these types of sentences to be handed down for this kind of fracas.

6. stormountainman

[/QUOTE]What is this post number and timestamp number?

7. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

She attempted to quote you, but I think because there is a 1 in front of quote name it didn't quote it properly.
    The post number is probably the number that refers to the post of yours that she attempted to quote, the timestamp number is probably the time of the post in milliseconds.

8. stormountainman

I decided to post on this thread because I think Atheists deserve civil rights protection same as other minority groups. Muslims do not get special rights in America. American civil rights law only says certain minority groups get civil rights protections in areas like employment, housing, law enforcement, and in the courts. (such as getting a translator during a trial) In contrast to a minority group being afforded civil rights protection at the federal level in America, several states have been chipping away at civil rights protection like its is open season. Several states have gone against federal court orders and continued to deny civil rights to gay people, and to deny equal treatment under the law to people who seek gay marriage. In Indiana under Governor Mike Pence, civil rights protections for old people have been stricken completely from the state law books. If an old man wants to file a disrimination charge, he is S.O.L. in Mike Pence's Indiana. At the same time, Mike Pence the Harley rider has been very friendly with The Indiana Patriot Guard who are a group of motorcycle riders. He has even issued a state license plate for just them, with their name and logo on it. They are a group of mostly white skinhead types, of former military guys, who always seem to have consealed carry pistols that they like to take out and wave in the air when they meet a Muslim, or a Liberal. So, in conclusion, I think in Indiana both Atheists and Muslims would be excluded from the good life, and the American Dream.

9. stormountainman

OK, thank you.

10. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

No, I doubt that they doctored the video, and they're entitled to report the story--which is on a par with "man bites dog". But my problem with it is it's selective and presents the atypical as typical, with awareness that the reader will generalize from it, it will inflame negative sentiment against Muslims, and will therefore sell papers. FOX does the same thing--systematically selecting stories and slanting coverage to arouse fear and animosity toward Islam. At least I'm assuming it's atypical. Does London now have a problem with roving gangs of drunken Muslim women beating up random passers-by? And judges letting them off with suspended sentences? (Of course we have judges in the United States who treat rapists the same way, and I think that needs to be reported.) I think it's interesting that the headline described the women as "yobs", which is British for young male hoodlum. (It's boy spelled backwards).

1 person likes this.
  11. Adventuregirlx

Adventuregirlx Members

Storm. Maybe muslims should be a protected class. But in theory anyeays you are wrong. Because they are already protected under not being ablr to discriminate based on race, religion or gender. Its already right there. It just may need to be applied better.

1 person likes this.
  12. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

The word 'yobette' also exists to describe the female hooligan.

13. stormountainman

Thank you, that says just about the same thing that I said. They have protection under civil rights law, not SPECIAL PROTECTION. We are saying the same thing in two styles.

14. stormountainman

Okie, In Colorado we had a Sheriff who was well respected. His name was and still is Sheriff Pat Sullivan of Arapaho County. He was so respected and well liked that they built a jail in his honor, The Sheriff Pat Sullivan Detention Center. Well, to make a long story short, he got busted selling Meth to young guys and having sex with them, in a gay bath house. The young guys with whom he was having sex had been his prisoners in the past. He served 17 days in jail before his buddies in government found a creative way to get him out. So yes, pleople do get out of jail when others do not.

15. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Oh please, none of that was even insinuated in the story. We can just as easily imagine readers reading the story and seeing that crock of shit justification for their abhorrent behavior and subsequent slap on the wrist, as a precedent to continue this type of behavior.

16. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Just to balance things out, here's an item from al-Jazeera on an event right here in Oklahoma, USA,
    http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2016/08/man-killed-suspected-anti-muslim-hate-crime-160816191517636.html
    I'm sure they printed it for its value in encouraging anger management.
    I must say, U.S. media did a decent job covering this and raising the question why the previous incidents weren't charged as hate crimes.http://heavy.com/news/2016/08/khalid-jabara-murder-tulsa-shooting-suspect-vernon-majors-funeral-facebook-page/ http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/oklahoma-man-accused-killing-lebanese-neighbor-article-1.2753607
    http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/oklahoma-man-accused-killing-lebanese-neighbor-article-1.2753607

17. I definitely think you have a point, OP. You forgot to include the DNC leak where party members were conspiring to have Bernie Sanders labeled an atheist.

I think we're a long way away from a time when atheists are not frowned upon by the general public. And there's really nothing anyone can do to force people to respect atheism, unless people in positions of authority just start admitting to being atheists. Atheists will have to slowly accrue the numbers necessary to be recognized as a legitimate authority on the world's stage.

1 person likes this.
  18. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Atheists seem to be slowly gaining acceptability. My State, Oklahoma, has one of the largest, fastest growing atheist communities in the country--undoubtedly a reaction against the prominence of the religious right in this State. The atheists here use a different approach from the Four Horsemen, David Silverman, and some atheists on these Forums, like Relaxx and Mr. Writer, in being less stridently anti-religious and more active in participating in community activities, charitable work and local politics. It seems to work. When atheists use aggressive approaches and arguments that strike ordinary people as unfair and offensive, it tends to turn people off. When they come across as the reasonable ones in the room in comparison to fulminating right wingers, they're more effective.

1 person likes this.
  19. TheSamantha

TheSamantha Member

Exactly. I don't believe in going around having theological debates on either end, whether someone wants to start with the "why don't you believe in God" or whether an atheist wants to uproot a believer's deep seated and important faith.

20. pineapple08

pineapple08 Members

or just a person.