Why are YOU vegetarian?

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by Pixie_C, Jun 8, 2009.

1. Blissfullyawareofitall

Blissfullyawareofitall Member

Well, I'm sad to say that I'm not a vegetarian anymore, but I have developed a lasting eating pattern because of it.

I don't eat intelligent animals. Defining intelligent as those that can pass things like the mirror test or are able to form complex emotional processes. Pigs, Sheep, apes, monkeys,Octipi, Cetaceans(namely dolphins), elephants and european Magpies are off the list.

Dogs and cats make it on there as well, purely because I've bonded with them and am biased that way.

But turkeys, chickens, deer, fish, reptiles and many other animals that don't seem to be capable of feeling much other than pain are acceptable in my book.

But I'm very glad others can make such a commitment to never eat meat. Maybe I'll go back to making that commitment one day, I do feel bad about it.

2. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

I find your journey fascinating.
    Would you be willing to say more? What brought you into vegetarianism, and what brought you out?

3. moonmamasgalaxy

moonmamasgalaxy Member

I went veggie during pregnancy with my first daughter because meat made me sick. I just carried it on after she was born without much thought, but now I can't imagine supporting cruelty or needless slaughter of animals. I haven't eaten meat for 12 years and my 3 daughters never have. My hubby and son eat meat and the smell makes us gag

4. farmout

farmout All who wander arent lost Lifetime Supporter

Cain't kill aminals....
    Health issues, cardiac version...
    for my own sanity, or lack thereof...:-/

5. roamy

roamy Senior Member

cos i dont like eating anything with a face on it.

6. Bassline514

Bassline514 Member

I can't stand the texture, taste or smell of meat in general, it definetely grosses me out. For that reason I banned red meat and poultry from my diet 15 years ago but still eat eggs, fish and dairy (no cow milk though, can't stand it). I can tell the difference in how I feel too, I have a lot more energy, feel lighter, my skin is super healthy (used to have skin problems before) and it's way easier to control my weight.

7. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

I notice a lot of people are veg from a distaste of meat/animal products.

Seems that those who decide to refrain when they LIKE animal products should chime in with how they keep going.

8. junegloom

junegloom Member

I volunteer at a refuge for farm animals rescued from meat/dairy/show biz industries, it's heartbreaking to see them when they first come in but with love and patience they trust us again and live happily ever after. Ever since then I will not touch meat

9. lalalaspider

lalalaspider Member

I'm skinny but I still feel unhealthy all the time because of what I eat, especially meat and junk food. I recently decided to start eating healthier and become a vegetarian. Also, of course, animal rights. I think eating animals is barbaric. I absolutely love animals. It just doesn't seem right to kill and eat them when it is not necessary to our bodies.

10. fancysocks

fancysocks Guest

five years ago i ate some steak at a neighbors bonfire, cooked in a garbage can or some crazy shit like that. made me throw up for a month, all meat has been unappealing since ):

11. ravenflowermoon

ravenflowermoon Guest

Sustainability reasons. Meat is massively inefficient. But my husband has never and will never go vegetarian, plus I need animal fat to run my brain, so rather than being fully vegetarian, I am (and by extension, he is) a partial vegetarian. I barely eat meat, maybe once a week, and I don't have much. On top of the logical reasons, I just sort of don't like meat. I don't like how it tastes really so I don't have to think too hard about it. I'd never have any if Husband didn't like it.

12. FirePlanet

FirePlanet Guest

I'm vegetarian for the anti-aging benefits it brings, and the animals will also suffer less because of me. They shouldn't be kept captivity, that's just wrong. How would you feel if you were born in a jail?

13. LittleKitty

LittleKitty Member

same exact reasons for me... but before i knew about any of the animal rights and environmental reasons it started when i was about 5 because i wouldn't eat the hamburgers or the mcdonalds my mom would get my siblings to keep them quiet during the day lol. I was that ass pain :2thumbsup:

14. brandonveg

brandonveg Member

I read Ghandi - my experiments with tuth...in it he has a few chapters on diet...so i tried a vegetarian diet and it made me feel better than i had ever felt in my life, physically and emotionally. My body became very healthy and it was like this fog lifted from my mind and i was more in tune with myself.

15. mustlivelife

mustlivelife Knows nothing!

Because I watched Earthlings!

I never knew the conditions the animals face before I saw that film.

16. Thekarthika

Thekarthika Member

Because it's who I am.
    Because I care about animals.
    Because I know I don't need it.
    Because I try to sustain from desires.
    Because I have a heart.

17. Serena03

Serena03 Member

It was an experiment I decided to attempt a few years back essentially for the health reasons. Now I am going on four years without any desire to go back, besides, I try to respect life, especially of animals. But others' way of 'respecting life' may include reducing population. Nature seems to take care of that anyway.

Eating a plant is of no disrespect to it, it is a different kind of life form which carries no nervous system and must serve as a fundamental energy source for more mobile creatures. Studies have indicated that humans were originally herbivores due to their structures and altered into omnivores from cultural adaption. I suppose whether or not it truly is more healthy varies, but at least there's enough evidence that a long prosperous life is achievable through either diet.

18. LittleKitty

LittleKitty Member

Ohh I'm intrigued! Now I need to watch this!

19. mustlivelife

mustlivelife Knows nothing!

It's on youtube. Very educational but also very harrowing. The worst bit is the dolphins...

20. 2Bisons

2Bisons Member

I personally do not like to categorize myself as I am fully cognizant of the implied constraints due to said categorization.

Instead I identify myself as a healthy eater, which is easy for me to say b/c I grew up eating what small town farmers would eat.

I now eat less meat due to animal mistreatments, but I can be honest enough to say that I really do not care whether they live or die, what I do care is that as long as they are captives, they should have some "....pursuit of happiness."