Why are YOU vegetarian?

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by Pixie_C, Jun 8, 2009.

1. Grainpsilo

Grainpsilo Member

What a pant load of BS

There is a middle ground between herbivores and carnivores called.... Omnivores.

This article completely skips over omnivores in an attempt to mislead the reader with half truths and partial facts.

How about this:

Humans do not have rumens or a functional caecums and are therefore carnivores.

Now is that a true statement? Of course not but it makes as much sense is that vegan propaganda in that link.

2. wa bluska wica

wa bluska wica Pedestrian

yes, we are in fact omnivores

and yes, also, we have a conscience

and as omnivores with a conscience, we can choose what we want to eat - and also what we do not want to eat

3. Frogfoot

Frogfoot Member

It can be stated many ways, and the one I'm going with today is that I became fed up with domination and exploitation.

4. SweetBlasphemy

SweetBlasphemy Senior Member

I also notice that people often misunderstand the meaning of the word "omnivore" and they think it means you MUST eat everything in order to survive, when in fact it means you've been designed with the ABILITY to eat anything to survive. An omnivore's body doesn't care where the protein came from, whether it was meat or plant-based, just as long as it gets the fuel it needs. Obligate carnivores and herbivores are obviously different as their bodies are designed to only be able to obtain fuel from one source or the other. That's the beauty of being an omnivore.

Anyway, I'm veg*an because I don't agree with factory farming or discriminating between what species are "ok" to eat and those that are not. I can't look into a cat's face and think "pet" and look into a cow's eyes and think "food"... they are all noble, sentient beings with an equal right to life.

If I lived on a secluded piece of land far from civilization where I could responsibly harvest unfertilized eggs and dairy products from animals that I raised and took care of, I would have a different view on using animal products. But I don't, and such is life...

5. iWright

iWright Member

There's animal rights, the treatment of animals in meat farming, and chicken and human corpses oddly smell alike.

6. BlueLightRain

BlueLightRain Member

I feel like if I can live off of an unconscious food source, then I should out of respect for the animals. I am very against the way animals are mass produced and mass slaughtered. I feel that all living things have a right to go through life uninterrupted and unhindered by mankind.

7. dutchblood87

dutchblood87 Member

hell yeah man!!! if we weren't meant to eat it, some baby back ribs-that's right, we slaughter baby cows just for the meat...how terrible of us- tastes so delicious....yum...smothered with bbq sauce and smoked on applewood chips on the grill...served with lamb, cauliflower, some kind of weird salad...

damn, i couldn't deprive myself of that...

some people are weird and they turn into a lifestyle....

8. dutchblood87

dutchblood87 Member

oh yeah, i like to throw rocks at sea gulls and beat my dog...

9. dutchblood87

dutchblood87 Member

btw i throw rocks at seagulls and beat my dog

10. Oz!

Oz! Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

why?

11. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

Was It Really Necessary To Tell Us TWICE...??..:).

Cheers Glen.

12. Plasticfantasticlover

Plasticfantasticlover Member

"Animals are my friends-and I don't eat my friends." -George Bernard Shaw
    That's a valid reason for me.

13. CacaoTraum

CacaoTraum Guest

Ethics; animal welfare and pollution.

I actually haven't got anything against the taste of meat or anything, but as long as animals are being treated like shit I can't make myself eat 'em. It really seems to piss people off when they get to know why I'm a vegetarian, but I think it's a good way to make meateaters aware of how meat affects the environment and everything.

14. farmout

farmout All who wander arent lost Lifetime Supporter

Health reasons plus I can't stand the thought of animals suffering for my benefit...:-/

15. BridgeCamera

BridgeCamera Banned

I believe it is extremely disgusting to kill animals for food when we have some many plants to harvest. Ive always loved animals since i was alittle kid. I would watch animal planet for hours with out getting bored and play with my hamster. Then i saw earthlings 6 months ago and have been a vegetarian ever since.

16. haha_wintaaa

haha_wintaaa Member

i've always been a vegetarian because when i was little and saw my mother cutting up chicken, it made me sick.
    i should say pescetarian (sp?) because i would eat salmon all the time with my aunt. still occasionally do. but since it's like a couple times a year, i just refer to myself as a vegetarian (explaining what a vegan is can get irritating)
    i became vegan about 2 years ago when i did research over it. Milk started to gross me out, then things like cottage cheese and yogurt, and eventually cheese. i love pizza, so cheese was hard to let go. but now if i'm offered it, it makes me a little queasy.
    i'm not the bitchy "holier than thou" types. if i go to someone's house and they are having something nonvegan, i'll eat it. i never eat meat though, ever.

17. haha_wintaaa

haha_wintaaa Member

ah.. burn!

18. Delfynasa

Delfynasa Member

not necessarily in this order; my health(diabetes, hot flashes and all those weird chemicals and antibiotics), the environment, and how can I in good conscience do something so horrible to somebody helpless just for momentary pleasure?! That is just sick!
    hugs and peace
    Delfynasa

19. Lizowa

Lizowa Guest

When I became a vegetarian at 13, it was purely for animal rights reasons, but I have noticed dramatic improvement in my health as a result (for example, I used to get sick rather frequently, and have literally been sick twice in my five years of vegetarianism). Coincidence? Possibly. But why risk it? ^_^ Even without the health benefits, animal rights was and still is a good enough reason for me.

20. opel diamond

opel diamond burn out

animal rights reasons probably first and formost. i love animals and i don't want to eat them. i didn't actually enjoy many meats anyway. health benefits of corse are a bonus, and a generally healthier lifestyle. and of corse because morrissey says i should. :tongue: