why are you a vegetarian

Discussion in 'Animal Advocates Support' started by behindthesun93, Oct 5, 2008.

1. emotionalinvalid

emotionalinvalid Banned

i would not mind being a vegetarian. but for various reasons, including my neurotic disability, i have just enough energy to be a microwave frozen processed meatatarian

2. ItsAndrewBet

ItsAndrewBet Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zVL9lDW7RE"]YouTube- "Free Me" music video (Goldfinger)

3. Sugarmagnolia_

Sugarmagnolia_ member

I grew up a vegitarian but looking back I cold never eat a helpless animal...
    When I was really little and I wanted to get burgers and such like the othe rkids she would yell and ask me if I wnated to munch on corpses just like them.

4. HarryHood83

HarryHood83 Member

It is messed up how alot of the animals are treated...so to those vegetarians I ask-would you eat a wild deer or turkey then?

I am a vegetarian b/c its healthier for the environment and healthier for me!

5. inky-moonshine

inky-moonshine Member

My reason for being vegetarian is that I feel that the control the human race as a species exerts over the rest of the earth is greatly disproportionate to their amount of contribution and worth, and that we incorrectly see ourselves now as rulers of the earth as opposed to subjects of it. I feel that we have confused convenience and marketing with instinct, and are driven by desires that we have only been made to think are necessities. I feel that we have been made desensitised and distanced from the suffering of other creatures due to their apparent inferiority to us, and we have been fed falsehoods ("If we didn't eat meat, the world would be overrun with cows and pigs" So what? Who's to say a world overrun with cows and pigs and every other animal, a world where humans were rightly and fairly slaves to natural order and natural selection, would not be a better world or the world that nature intended?). I feel that the transforming of mass-murder using the cruellest possible methods into a autarkic industry for a demand that is itself a creation of the producers, perpetuated by false advertising is, as well as all of the above, inherently wrong, anti-instinct and anti-earth.
    But usually when people ask, I don't have time to say all of that and people never really get it when I do, so I just give it in words they can actually process and say "When was the last time you met a fat vegetarian?"

6. OneLifeForm

OneLifeForm Member

Animal products don't benefit the body. Once you give them up your body has a 3 year storage of Vitamin B-12, after 3 years it's best to take a B-12 supplement, pill/shot.
    Though I'm pretty sure there are plants that you can get some from.
    I always wanted a reason to give up animals from my diet, I listened to "The China Study" and it disproved benefit of animal products.
    Plant based diet is whats up.

7. brittanix

brittanix Member

three years ago i was in science class, and my teacher was talkin about how we're dependent on animals for food when we don't need to be, and then how eventually we won't be able to... and idk. Something about how much money it costs and how much land it takes up to raise animals, in comparison to growing soybeaan. I was a paranoid kid and he really stressed the global warming thing, so i tried being vegetarian for a month.

Theeeen... I kinda got into the whole animal rights thing for a bit...a bit of peta, a bit of my own thing. And now i'm not really into it as much. They started getting a little crazy, and were focussing on things i didn't care about...like boycotting maple syrup and canadian things to show that the seal hunt was bad? Not cool.

Nooow i'm still a vegetarian, and i'm cool with animal rights, but i'm not a nazi about it anymore. Kinda miss it, kinda don't. :]

8. Nyxx

Nyxx HELLO STALKER

Why am I a vegetarian?

I feel better when I do not eat meat.
    I love and respect animals.

9. BTS

BTS Member

meat is too expensive here.

10. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

I am not a vegetarian, but I wanted to tell you why.

I was raised in a very meat-filled house. I don't find vegetables very tasty. I am broke so experimentation of the food I buy and make is troublesome.

I like animals too. Sometimes in between classes I watch the squirrels. You do not like animals more than me because of your vegetarianism. I am not a bad person because of your vegetarianism. I admire that you are looking out for your fellow creatures, but please do not forget that your fellow man, is also an animal.

I know most of you are probably great people, but I felt this needed said because many vegetarians treat me like I am walking around stomping people's cats in debate on here, and I don't like that.

11. Shale

Shale ~

I know how you feel about that. I loathe holier than thou type fanatics, whether Moslems slamming jets into buildings or PETA doing one of their lamebrained stunts.

I have been a vegetarian since 1970. It is my discipline not to kill or consume animals but the reality on this planet is that certain animals are killed and consumed by others. That is why rabbits and rodents have such large litters - to supply food to the predators in the balance of nature.

Since becoming a vegetarian I have worked in jobs where I prepared meat for others to eat. I was married for 20 years to a woman who ate chickens and other animals. (Her first word learned while travelling in Mexico was "pollo") I am a vegetarian for my reasons - not a fanatic who battles with others not to eat meat or wear leather. It would be nice if PETA and other fanatics would quit giving us vegetarians a bad rep.

However, I do admit to supporting GreenPeace. There is no valid reason (other than someone making money) to killing whales in this century.

12. inky-moonshine

inky-moonshine Member

I here ya, but don't forget that there's two sides to each coin, and that as a vegetarian (and I'm sure I'm not alone in this) I have encountered many, many meat eaters, most of whom are even my good friends, who will say outright to my face "Vegetarianism is sooo stupid! I couldn't even liiiive without meat. How are you even alliiivee? You don't know what you're missing. Your life must be soooo boring without meeeeat" etc etc you get the picture.

I reckon the overly pious vegetarians and the overly closed minded meat eaters are just as bad as one another, but they shouldn't be taken as the representatives for their choices. Unfortunately, as with any debate, regardless of topic, most of the people from both stances are rational, open minded people with equally valid points, but all this gets undermined by the few loud-mouths who take it to the extreme and as a result drag down the credibility of their whole side. It's very not cool.

13. Duck

I would say that the closed-minded are guilty of crimes against themselves, where as the overly pious are guilty of that and crimes against others.
    I mean, the overly pious are closed-minded people as well, but the meat eaters only treat you as if your weird, where as the vegetarians tend to treat people as if they're worse.

But I do agree.

I don't see how anyone can deny that animals die and get eaten -- and I don't see how these people don't recognize that they are treating an animal called a human rather cruelly by treating the meat eating ones as worse.

I've donated to WWF. And I started an anti-PETA group on Facebook (PETA is evil), cause I wanted to be in one but none existed.

14. SweetBlasphemy

SweetBlasphemy Senior Member

Factory farming... if I lived in a different time and a different place, I might very well eat legitimately hunted meat, but... yeah, no.

Even though I can respect (don't agree with, but respect) someone whose only source of meat comes from wild game, I still don't eat wild-hunted meat bc there are too many people out there that hunt for sport or the "experience," yet still buy meat at the grocery store. One or the other, man. Excessive senseless killing to which I don't wish to contribute.

Almost 12 years into the game, I no longer physically or mentally acknowledge meat as a food product, anyway.

15. Duck

Hm.. maybe that could be part of what leads to the pious attitude.

16. SweetBlasphemy

SweetBlasphemy Senior Member

Nah. It's called live and let live, son. Aaaaaand.... /discussion :)

17. Duck

I wasn't saying you were one of the pious, if that's what you mean.

Just saying, that it seems like that could be one of the many factors that leads to it. A lot of liberals are smug about it (and always have been) and they do more harm than good, but the vegetarians seem particularly smug these days.
    Clearly, PETA is a factor -- but I was thinking maybe if a lot of vegetarians start to see meat as a non-food, like you have - it could help create divide between them and the meat-eaters, fostering the controversy...

If that's not what you meant, I'm confused by your comment.
    If it is, thanks for being nice about it. =)

18. katelin101

katelin101 Member

thats so sad :(

19. TipsyGypsy

TipsyGypsy Light of a Fading Star

It's practically the same as Halal methods.

20. HarryHood83

HarryHood83 Member

I agree with you. Too many out there get all religious on people for eating meat. Besides I need leather for my birkenstocks-ha!