Why are some parents more loyal to religions than to themselves or their wives and children?

Discussion in 'Christianity' started by GreatestIam, Nov 15, 2018.

1. GreatestIam

GreatestIam Member

Why are some parents more loyal to religions than to themselves or their wives and children?

Our mainstream religions are homophobic and misogynous. Every family line will eventually produce gays or women or combinations thereof.

The less loving parents will reject those gay children and follow their religions in denigrating and discriminating against them without a just cause and will support the misogyny and homophobia their religions preach.

The more loving parents will not reject their gay children but will often continue to follow and support their religions and thus help propagate the discrimination without a just cause against their own gay children and women.

I can see some value for the misogynous and homophobic men in supporting their church, but why in hell would any woman support a misogynous homophobic religions?

Women are usually more egalitarian than men, yet here they are paying for their own denigration and discrimination without a just cause as well as the homophobia that will abuse their children.

Are women more masochistic than men and is that why they pay for their own abuse and the abuse of their gay children?

Why are so many parents putting their immoral religions ahead of their own children and women?

Regards
    DL

2. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Some people need the strictures of ancient thought to assuage their fear of disobeying a "daddy figure." and all that that entails? The fear of death is stronger than their love of their family? It's right and proper for men to be IN CHARGE? It's too easy for humans to judge -- OTHERS, regardless of effect to them? CONSERVATISM? Lack of empathy/understanding? ( it's not easy figuring out the attitudes of those with whom you do not understand/agree.) The role of women has been and IS changing as we speak.

3. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

That's funny. The only family members to reject me based on my sexuality were the ones who weren't religious at all.

4. GreatestIam

GreatestIam Member

If their attitude can follow and change, I am all in for that. I hope they can train their men who sorely need guidance.

Regards
    DL

5. GreatestIam

GreatestIam Member

Religion does not hold the monopoly on homophobia but they have been pushing it forever and are the majority.

I guess you learned who your true loving friends were and who the fair weather friends were.

Regards
    DL

scratcho likes this.
  6. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Humans are shit and I'm just doing my part to stop procreation. ;)

7. Matias

Matias Members

I'm sorry to hear that. Doesn't matter why you were rejected, but rejection hurts none the less. I hope you're doing better.

To answer OP: As a former very religious person, I can tell you there are, in my experience, 3 things that drive people to faith.

1) The fear of hell or loneliness. A fear of non existence after death. Basically, fear itself, and fear manifests itself in different ways to different people.
    2) The need for meaning. Most religious types I've met along my journey were very confused as to what the meaning of their lives was, and subsequently found a meaning for life in their religious beliefs.
    3) The desire to what's considered "right" or "good". A lot of folks I met thought that they absolutely needed religion to stop them from being "bad people". This scared me the most to be honest - that people felt they would be murderers if not for Sunday School...

When you add those up, you get 3 possible reasons why someone might reject someone who is say, a homosexual:

1) Fear of the unknown, or fear of someone going against God - think homophobics. They fear the unknown and fear that homosexuality is going against what's "right".
    2) It's not the purpose of life. They will claim that life is for procreation between a man and a woman only. So thus homosexuality goes against the way life is supposed to be.
    3) It's just not "right". Maybe they don't fear it - but they just know it's not right.

Of course, this is just my experience. This could/will be totally different from person to person.

Running Horse likes this.
  8. GreatestIam

GreatestIam Member

The majority are not.

Have you not been paying attention to the great stats we are enjoying?

Regards
    DL

Matias likes this.
  9. snowtiggernd

snowtiggernd Member

It's because they are nuts

10. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

No. I don't do stat's. I do life experience and observation.

11. GreatestIam

GreatestIam Member

Thanks for this.

You help to highlight what I say of Christians.

Cowards can never be moral.

They are allowing their groundless fears to corrupt their moral sense.

Regards
    DL

12. Matias

Matias Members

I agree. I used to (long time ago) think that most humans were mean, ruthless, and greedy. But over time I learned to love more, and I realized that most people (not all of course) are just trying to live day to day like the rest of us. Just trying to put food on the table, go to bed on time, etc. Mundane things.

At the end of the day, most people are living the same struggle, just in a slightly different way (different job, location, etc) but it all boils down to just living the day and trying to be happy.

GreatestIam likes this.
  13. GreatestIam

GreatestIam Member

I wish the answer were that simple.

Regards
    DL

14. GreatestIam

GreatestIam Member

That is correct for a good 75% of us who are all basically living by the Golden Rule or some type of reciprocal rule of Harm/Care.

Regards
    DL

15. GreatestIam

GreatestIam Member

Then your view is not accurate or worthy. No anecdotal rendering should be used to determine policy or an opinion.

Regards
    DL

16. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Lol. Yeah okay buddy. Keep believing everything you read.

17. GreatestIam

GreatestIam Member

I did not read that. It is common sense.

Regards
    DL

18. Matias

Matias Members

You don't need to read it to believe it.

Just take a few minutes to reflect on your own life. I'm sure there's lots of times another person has wronged you, caused you to be harmed, or abused you in some small - or significant - way. It's life.

But at the same time, if everyone was shit, than why does civilization exist? Why do some people smile your way when you walk by them?

We aren't perfect. But expecting us to be perfect isn't going to work.

There's good and bad. Yin and Yang.

19. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Common sense means that you hold and class everybody to live by the same logic, sense, dogma, doctrines that you live by which is unrealistic and only goes to show how ignorant you are of your own self worth and being.

So please don't talk to me anymore or try to swing me in any directions. You've shown me enough.

Goodbye.

Okiefreak likes this.
  20. GreatestIam

GreatestIam Member

?? Yin and Yang are shown to balance out.

You see as much evil as good, do you?

Regards
    DL