Why are many people so different online?

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by Deidre, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

I read a really interesting article recently, about how people seem to paint a perfect picture of their lives on social media, whether it's FB, IG, snapchat, etc but it's far from truth. The author of the article suggested that many people use the internet and social media more specifically, as an escape from a reality that they dislike.

I find myself using social media less and less these days, because it all seems so phony. To see friends of mine post statuses that don't reflect reality, really gets boring, and I'm starting to lose respect for them, now.

Understandable that we might post things differently than we might say them, because words on a screen are all we have to communicate. You can't ''see'' tone, or if the person is being sarcastic. But, the article got me to thinking about online bullying, and how so many people post things on the internet, that they'd never dare say in their offline life. Why is that, do you think?

Just wondering if you observe this on FB, etc...and do you feel that you're different online than you are offline?

fundoo likes this.
  2. Adamskiffle

Adamskiffle Members

Facebook is very much superficial.....of everyone on my FB only about 10-20% of people are consistently themselves IMO (at least thinkig about people on my FB)......anonymous online forums are more authenthic, though their is still a lot of fakery.

Deidre likes this.
  3. Adamskiffle

Adamskiffle Members

Also, with regards me, I'm not that different online vs offline(on FB I tend to try and be upbeat & positive etc).

Deidre likes this.
  4. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

If we met, you would recognize me immediately and I don't think that either of us would be in for any nasty shocks. :yum::yum::yum::yum:

Deidre likes this.
  5. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

I'm more honest online than in real life...I don't use Facebook or twitter.

Deidre likes this.
  6. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

This is an interesting comment because I feel like I’m the same offline but I share more online,like it seems easier to go more in depth into a topic than in offline life. Or maybe we avoid certain topics at work or wherever because we worry we might offend someone. People online in general seem less concerned with offending others, as they might offline.

ZenKarma and Total Darkness like this.
  7. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

I think that there is something inherent to the written word, text, that allows some people to reflect and open up. This forum is the only one I have ever gotten into. I think generally there are quite a lot of honest people here.

ZenKarma and wilsjane like this.
  8. wilsjane

I agree. I think that having staff and moderators openly among us helps to keep the trolls and idiots at bay. Like you, this is the only forum that I have ever posted on and feel that I have made quite a few genuine connections. Twitter is for birdbrains (and US presidents), while my Facebook account was terminated because I had only logged on twice in three years.

ZenKarma, scratcho and Deidre like this.
  9. wilsjane

I think that some people who I work with would like to hear more about my personal life and a few dreams, rather than listen to me wittering on about a new boiler house and the latest opera that I have listened to.

Deidre likes this.
  10. wilsjane

Fac
    Facebook is for trolls and idiots, while Twitter is for birdbrains and US presidents.

11. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

I think it's okay to share some things about our personal lives at work, but I've noticed that some people overshare, and it's come back to hurt them. I think that online, you can share things, and know that you're not going to see this person at work in the morning. For example, I definitely don't discuss my aversion to ''cream pies'' with coworkers, but on here, I can. lol

wilsjane likes this.
  12. wilsjane

Cream pies have got me into a lot of trouble. I remember the day that I sent our son over to fetch the cream and he told Jane that it was Irish. When she looked at the label and asked him why he though that, he replied, "LOOK, it tells you on the label, EXTRA THICK cream". One Irish joke too far and Jane slapped him. Needless to say, she blamed me for putting him up to it. 30 years ago, but we still laugh about it today.

GLENGLEN and Deidre like this.
  13. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

lol :D

I never knew much about cream pies before coming to this forum, and now ...I wish I hadn't learned about it. Some things are meant to just remain a mystery. :fearscream:

wilsjane likes this.
  14. What you read is what you get with me. Don,t have the time of the inclination to adopt a different persona. Don't do FB or Twitter either.

scratcho and Deidre like this.
  15. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

i think im the same

i leave a ton of info out online though..you weirdos dont need to know the personal details..i keep things vague on purpose

i have a few facebooks ...with fake names just for occupying my time with some of those stupid games (currently its criminal case game)..i dont have a real facebook and when my real name is googled i am not in any of the results and thats the way i like it

Deidre likes this.
  16. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

All my facebook info is fake I think I've got a full story in there lol of this completely fake mythology I wrote up about myself, but I don't social media on there I use it firstly was for bands and concerts, sports news etc. Now I use it to organise pool matches and pretty much you need it for my pool league to view comps and tournaments and stats etc.

I always find that people will boast about whatever things are going well for them or their holidays and I also know this just creates negativity and depression with a lot of people reading that wondering why they can't be on a holiday or why they can't bang these girls or guys etc.

As for forums, I always like to keep a little mysticism about myself so my usernames will all be like mine here, shrouded in mythology.

Certain people are just as jealous on forums as they are on social media. Personally, I feel like, most the long members here have a pretty good indication of who I am, I don't believe they get me and I know that I'd be different to what they expect IRL. But it's the internet and a forum so I don't see why I should dim anything down for people.

For the record I write better than I speak. I type with words in a sentence I'd never use or have never said IRL. Lots of people comment on my writing, not so much I guess on a forum, but if you read my family emails and the way I explain and paint a picture with words, my friends and family all say I should be a writer. :)

I just find it easier to type than I do speak. I'm erratic IRL I have not found that peace in myself and I'm a million miles an hour. I'm like that here too. :p

magickman and Deidre like this.
  17. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

I too feel like I write better than i speak, although, maybe I just go into more depth when writing. I don't express myself nearly as well when speaking, or I may be too fearful of offending someone. I believe I'm the same online, but thinking about it, I do tend to shy away from certain topics offline, out of fear of hurting someone's feelings.

magickman likes this.
  18. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

I think that's cool, I know of a few people who have created profiles on FB, that aren't showing any personal details. That sounds smarter, tbh.

19. wilsjane

So that means that I have been wasting my time trying to stalk you on the planet 'Zoc'. Oh well, can't win em all.

20. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Yeah lol. Like if I don't like something online, I'll write why I don't like it etc. But in real life, "nah it's fucken shit bro it's just shit" :p

Deidre and Meliai like this.