Why are billionaires good or are they not?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by unfocusedanakin, Jan 30, 2019.

1. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

So "who" is certain races of people or people you think have made the right religious choices I assume. Like I told you before you don't have that level of personal choice in society unless you want to live without any goverment on an island and then you have no valid currency and less cash. Since you use the goverment you owe the goverment.

2. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

Why the hell do you assume that? I couldn't care less about religion; I am an atheist. I couldn't care less about national origin either; I want open borders. Similarly I couldn't care less about race. So your skin is such and such color; big fucking deal, my skins a color too. I think you're the one that has problems about those things. You sure seem to.

No one owes the government anything; it's a creation of We The People. It owes us. When I give my money to Walmart I expect a decent loaf of bread (or whatever). It owes me that. If I don't receive that then I won't spend as much there. And if Walmart forcefully took my money and indiscriminately gave it someone who it decided needed my money more than I do I would never shop there again. My opinion is there is way too much government and that it is no longer accountable to the voters, thus I don't want much of my money going to it. The government doesn't deserve to be funded. They'll just start a war or build a wall, or someone like you will get in office and want to 'help' groups you feel sorry for instead of doing things that would actually help people take care of themselves. I'd love to see more Pell Grants. More scholarships for math and the sciences aimed at low income people. I'd even be willing to consider paying for the health care of post secondary students as long as they are pursuing a degree that is in the national interest and they are not failing their classes. And zero taxes for those earning less than $30,000 a year for an individual.

3. Piney

Piney Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Let them pay the Real Estate tax instead of deducting it on Federal returns.

unfocusedanakin likes this.
  4. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Actually, that's what everyone who pays taxes is forced to do.

5. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I don't think you know how things work. If politicians really would use tax money like that it is corruption.

Okiefreak likes this.
  6. 6-eyed shaman

Congressional representative (for one)

Nancy Pelosi Net Worth | Celebrity Net Worth

7. 6-eyed shaman

If you assume politicians know how to spend your money and property better than you, you're low IQ

If you assume politicians have strong morality with your hard-earned money, then you're a deviant.

8. Asmodean

It's not about that the taxpayer might not know how to spend their money. It's not as simple as you want to put it. It's that the government body in charge of lets say infrastructure or healthcare is made for that purpose. There is a set of rules politicians and other government employees have to abide. Some are more inclined to do things by the books than others. The (lack of) morals can play a role there, sure.
    Putting it with certainty no american politician or government employee can be trusted with your taxes is of course false and ludicrous

Assuming all politicians are corrupt and therefor taxes are a malafide practice by default is just as out of touch with reality. It's ok if that's your personal opinion, but its not a valid argument in reality in a discussion

soulcompromise and Meliai like this.
  9. new Athenian

new Athenian Members

Bureaucracy whether it's government or corporate will first serve to enrich and expand itself. Each member within will seek to find justification for additional staff. This is why large corporations become top heavy bloated organizations with enormous overhead built into every product or service delivered. When a private company's corporate growth becomes untenable it suffers the way GM did a few years ago when they declared bankruptcy and reorganized as a leaner, meaner more focused brand but when government becomes too large they simply confiscate the funds needed to continue and/or borrow in the credit markets and continue the same old song and dance.
    Government currently employs 23,692,270 people and continues to grow heaping layer upon layer of personnel feeding at the Federal State and local trough. These individuals soak up funds originally aimed at the target population they were allotted thus guaranteeing that those agencies will return to next years budget panels to demand ever more of the tax payers hard earned cash. The most conspicuous example of this can be found in HESS sector or Health, Education and Social Services. Massive numbers of people often duplicating or overlapping each other driving up the costs of hospitalization, insurance premiums , education and human services.

10. unfocusedanakin

Well this applies to both parties. Red or blue the pay is good in congress.

This is another issue I would like to change. The large financial incentive means elected officials want to keep their job and please lobbyists. Feeds right into my whole point here about worshiping an elite class. Also, term limits! There are none for them.

The founding fathers never wanted career politicians. They wanted normal people such AOC. You serve the people then you return to your normal life. They also could not predict how much wealth could concentrate on a few people undermining democracy. The economic methods of the time made it hard to dominate so much. It was really after their death that the Rockefller's of the world got all the money in the late 19th and early 20th century.

11. 6-eyed shaman

I'm with you on this one. We need term limits. And politicians should go back to a civilian life after serving to their limits. They may be welcome to run again after enough time has passed. The problem is how are we going to get congress to vote in favor of term limits for themselves? Another problem is that congress gets to vote themselves their own raises. And third, politicians often make a lot more money through making deals with their corporate sponsors. I don't know if AOC is much different since she was given rock star status by the media, and a $10 million deal through Netflix in less than 2 months into her new career.

12. Meliai

Meliai Banned

*AOC isnt making any money off that film. The $10 milllion deal is between Netflix and the filmmakers

McFuddy and unfocusedanakin like this.
  13. new Athenian

new Athenian Members

We already have term limits .

It's called a vote, something I have never failed to do at any time for any candidate, race, or referendum I VOTE !

Now to term limits , a red herring at best, as such a law simply promises the chairs get shuffled around on the deck however the same power brokers and king makers , you know who they are on both the left and right, will continue to groom and select the candidates complete with their multi million dollar war chests so they get to go about beating their chests bragging about how they and they alone are for the people when in fact what they're for are donors .The millions in contributions handed out by lobbyists on the left or right guarantees those donors own those offices ! Consider this then look closely at your Congressman or Senator and determine who really owns him/her the answers may surprise you.

In my state a US Senate race recently costed $ 34,000,000.00 spread about evenly between the two candidates all this for a job which pays a base salary of around $174,000/yr.

The citizen legislature isn't possible as long as the political process is bought and paid for by K Street .
    Drive down K Street or do a virtual tour and meet the organizations that own the government .

14. Piney

Piney Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

A well functioning media watchdog would eliminate some of the need for term limits.

Media seems as fractured and divided as anything else, not providing real oversight. Just feeding into the preconcieved notions & prejudices of its targeted audience.

Meliai likes this.
  15. unfocusedanakin

I only see that in Fox news. Other networks are giving an honest report of facts. It's just that the Trump voter lives in a world where this is a threat since these facts do not show Trump in a good way. So called "liberal media" is the truth. Facts have a liberal biases as the expression goes.

16. new Athenian

new Athenian Members

In fact if you're a sponge for any of the six companies that control all major media then you're a prime candidate for the dunce cap.

News ( what is described as ) is now a commodity editorialized, packaged for a target audience. It's not what the news is but what those companies want you to hear. Thankfully I don't watch any televised news at all FOX, OAN, NBC, CBS, PBS, CNN, MSNBC, ABC, BLOOMBERG cannot be trusted. I have my own news sources which aren't connected to these crooks.

Meliai likes this.
  17. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I'm not a fan of any of the big media conglomerates either. They dont have a liberal or conservative bias, they have a wealth bias. They're propaganda arms of the ruling class for the most part

Not that I think they're "fake news" or any of that ridiculousness, but they are very carefully curated news in order to make the world appear a certain way

18. Asmodean

Unfortunately many internet news sources that are seen and portrayed as a better alternative are at least as biased.

19. new Athenian

new Athenian Members

Agreed one must choose carefully and do research on the site owners etc. I've been at this a long time hence my disgust stated earlier.

20. unfocusedanakin

'The Class Ceiling' Decodes the Cultures of Elite Workplaces - The Atlantic

I think the image that we have—or the ideology, if you want to be political about it—is once you’re 18 or so, you make your own way and your class origin is not an important part of how your career goes from there. But what my co-author Sam and I found was, that’s not at all true.

In the book, we talked about people pursuing acting, which is a very contingent, hard path to pursue. Most people, when they start, aren’t making most of their money from acting, and so people who are able to rely on their parents to help them are much more able to pursue acting fully, because they don’t have to worry about maintaining a regular, full-time job just to eat and live.