Why are artists so often addicts?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by moonlightdelerium, Apr 22, 2007.

1. moonlightdelerium

moonlightdelerium Senior Member

The recurrence of substance in art (music, visual arts, poetry etc...) is undeniable, so why do you think artists are so drawn to substance?

2. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

Pretty reason: It's an escape from their destructive minds and an opening of unchartered lands within their imagination.

Real reason: It's fun.

3. pianoperson60

pianoperson60 Senior Member

I think alot of what artists jobs are is trying to relate an extreme emotion or strong realization or conciousness, and take it out of their minds and put it in their own way on the paper (whether it be words theyre putting on the paper, or brush strokes, or musical notation).

During and after drug sessions, whether it be smoking up, or eating some shrooms, it is often the case that people gain a certain insight, or experience (an) extreme emotion(s). The process of taking drugs sometimes encourages these inspirations for a new piece of music or a new painting to occur.

Or sometimes, its not even that complicated. Sometimes smoking up just calms an artist down and gets him or her to be able to focus on their art. Sometimes it helps get them "into the groove." I know that Ive realized lately that smoking a joint as I start a new painting is something I really enjoy and I find exciting, I just wait until I feel the voice in my head say "go!" and then I just start going at starting hte painting/drawing. Thats not to say I find marijuana necessary for me to create my art, but its definiltey not a minus to my artwork. [​IMG]

4. hippychickmommy

hippychickmommy Sugar and Spice

Mind expansion, slowing down and really seeing things in depth making creativity more accessible.

5. Zoomie

Zoomie My mom is dead, ok?

My wife is an artist (fauvepainter.com) and she's addicted to me. And you all know I am completely without substance.

Kinda shoots that theory to hell, huh?

6. indian~summer

indian~summer yo ho & a bottle of yum

often artists have psychological illnesses and therefore turn to substances, but also are often are worsened by those substances...eh....

7. Freekske

Freekske Member

To feel inspired to fathom the power, to witness the beauty,
    To bathe in the fountain,

8. Share the Warmth

Share the Warmth Member

To obtain a direct and unobstructed relationship to the world around you, you need to break down your preconceptions, your traditions, values, and schemas that you hold so dear. You don't need to abandon them forever, but at least to identify them and understand this about them: they aren't neccesary for survival.

You need to truly clear your mind and allow yourself to see the world with new eyes if you want to create art that comes straight from the soul. It is a liberating experience and one that is conducive to making art that others who don't share your background can connect with.

Drugs just happen to be an effective way to accomplish this "derangement of the senses".

9. Lodog

Lodog ¿

I'm reminded of Bill Hicks

10. joe

joe Banned

Damn....whole lotta BS in this thread

for those that believe drugs will "Expand yer Mind" is just an excuse to get high, whole lotta great artists in this world that got along just fine without succumbing to the sickness of addictive bullshit. all those artists that did succumb last only so long, all them rock idols died young because of their own damn stupidity

11. mr_two_1988

mr_two_1988 Member

I think that by the nature of an artists mind or any creative thinker like a philosopher, math genius, design engineer, etc etc to be on a higher level intellectually creates instability within the brain. If you look at most famous inventors and artists etc they are almost all eccentrics, and often somewhat mentally unstable and possibly living on the edge more than boring "normal" people do... so the same personality will take more risks like using drugs.

No offence to anyone who believes it, but that drugs expanding your creative mind argument doesn't really seem true... That's what 16 year old high school kids say when they get caught smoking in the school bathroom :p

Almost all of the creative people I know do get high sometimes, whether artists or intellectuals, but it's because they like to kick back with friends and in some cases work stressful day jobs and need to vent.

12. Posthumous

Posthumous Resident Smartass

That people lump all "drugs" together is fuckin ridiculous.

Aspirin is a drug and its lethal dose is relatively low. So should we ban aspirin now?

There is inspiration to be found in certain illegal substances; despair in others. Fuck anyone who tries to stop me from using either as I see fit, especially those insisting I cannot and have not found enlightenment in psychedelics.

13. Gravity

Gravity #winning

because they aren't stupid and realize that drugs really aren't that big of a deal and that they are free to make their own choices?

14. wiuf

wiuf Member

drugs seem to help my writing. I get my best results from speed and LSD.

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that artists often like to associate with "fringe" culture.

15. jonnydisaster5

jonnydisaster5 Member

subculture exists to destroy young budding revolutionaries. the hippy movement was a government sponsored preemptive attack to discredit and disilusion the rising young hopefuls of there time. instead of social change you get burned out drug addicts. the war on drugs is a way of keeping drugs a part of subculture.

16. whichaxe

whichaxe Member

Musicians are inherent addicts. We're always looking for the high. When we can't get it from an audience / performing on a stage, often times we seek it through other means.

17. hippychickmommy

hippychickmommy Sugar and Spice

Hmmm, well considering I never smoked during high school, I'd have to disagree with that one.

I also think that certain mind altering substances affect certain people in different ways. Sure there are the "duuuhhh, dude I'm so freaking stoned" people who get nothing from it but high and flighty, thus trying to get something remotely intelligent out of them during that state of mind is next to impossible, and then there are those who slow down more and absorb everything around them, things they might take for granted on a daily basis are seen in a manner, gets them more in touch with a different side of themselves. No, it's not like that for everybody obviously, but saying that it doesn't ring true, well, that may be the case for some, but not all.

Anyway. ;)

18. Share the Warmth

Share the Warmth Member

I guess it's all just an excuse to get high because you say so. Joe.

19. Krsna Bhakti

Krsna Bhakti d-_-b JAMMING

Thanks for standing up for us absorbers! :)

20. The_Walrus

The_Walrus Sgt. Pepper

I guess artists want to see what their mind really holds, so they try substances to open their minds up.