Why and how do you define (yourself as) 'hippy/ie'?

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by alexanderbean, May 9, 2013.

1. squawkers7

squawkers7 radical rebel

HIPPIE: Happy Individual Person Pursuing Individual Enlightenment

2. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

Everybody seems to have their own definition. Here is mine. I think these are the essential characteristics a person needs to have:

1. Nonconformist - Does not superficially conform to mainstream culture, just for the sake of conforming.
    2. Devalues tradition - "That's the way we've always done it" is never a good reason to do anything. Always open to new ideas.
    3. Skeptical - Questions authority, and questions all sources of "information" until verified. Not easily persuaded or manipulated.
    4. Caring - Wants to see the world become a better place for everyone. Not apathetic or disconnected.
    5. Inclusive - Does not judge unfairly or harshly by gender, race, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, etc. Embraces diversity.
    6. Socially liberal - Doesn't care what people do in their personal, private lives, as long as it doesn't harm others. Sees no need for strict, intrusive social rules.
    7. Environmentalist - Cares about the short-term and long-term impacts of human activities on the planet and future generations.
    8. Anti-violence - Always looking for a peaceful solution to every conflict, large or small.
    That first item causes some problems sometimes, when people feel obligated to do the opposite of what mainstream culture is doing, and/or conform to what they see counterculture groups doing. This is another form of conformity, no better than any other.

I also believe that music has the power to change hearts and minds, but I don't see this item as important enough to make the main list. It's important to me, personally.

I'm not saying anybody has to do a perfect job of putting these ideals into practice. Nobody does anything perfectly. We just need to try our best.

3. thedope

thedope glad attention Lifetime Supporter

I am identified in many ways by others. Some have called me hippie, some have called me trippy, some call me dad, some call me he had. Of my self I say, yes indeed I am those things people call me at those times, but I am none in particular.

4. thedope

Music can move you to consideration because of it's vibratory composition impressing itself on the fluids of your body,(heart,) but your mind is a kingdom you alone can rule and it cannot be violated from the outside. In this respect only your own thoughts can hurt or rescue you.

5. thedope

If nobody does anything perfectly, where is the metric for perfect?

6. The Deer

The Deer Guest

I don't know what would be a good definition to all of us who call ourselves hippies, but for myself hippie is somebody who sees the world differently than others, who thinks freely, who is free and realizes what is important and real in life.