Who's more evil?WalMart or McD's?

Discussion in 'Globalization' started by TerrapinRose, May 28, 2004.

1. Diomedes

Diomedes Member

What are we to do jeffrey? My goodness people are allowed to eat what they want! That is terrible!!!!! Hey I'm curious, how much did you spend on your gifts?

2. Thethirdbenjamin

Thethirdbenjamin Member

Doesn't rally matter anyway McD's is falling apart, not only is its CEO sick, but also the foundation of the company is sick also.

with hi turnover rates and high traning costs to replace workers theres no way it will last.

Once a McD store starts losing staff the trend becomes imposible to reverse.

The store by me use to have 100+ workers, no its down to 70 and dropping once again.

They could hire and train new staff to replace the onces that left back to the level it use to be but the training costs will be to hi.

They can chose not to replace any of them, but then they will have labour shortages and schedule problems.

3. ericf

ericf Member

I don't know how it could be worse than McDonalds anti-union record. They have been known to close entire stores and fire everyone if there is serious union talk. In one town in Canada (I believe) they shut the entire store down and reopened a new one less than a block away to stop a union from forming.

McDonalds is very anti-union... you express union sympathies and you are fired. Plain and simple. I don't know how Wal-Mart could be WORSE than that... although I suspect it could be identical.

4. matthew

matthew Almost sexy

I would have said these are the good points and these are tha bad points ...and let him/her to deciede for themselves..

I think in the uk we don't have the same loathing as Americans because we see it for what it is and maybe their are more back water small little towns that you would say get infected by 'big busines' and drives out smaller business ?? only other fast food joints i would have thought ?.

Anti - union mmmm well i guess again America has a more powerful and more pedantic unions so i am not quite sure what the unions are 'fighting for'

personaly i would say they are easy targets ...most of the time unfairly ...

5. matthew

matthew Almost sexy

All the 'small business' contribute in the bigger picture just as much as 'big business' do ... small business get away with more i think because they don't have the world looking at them .

6. peacefuljeffrey

peacefuljeffrey Senior Member

That cannot be rightly derived from what I said.
    I simply do not find it responsible for companies to expose kids to unhealthy habits. Sure, they are free to do it. That's not the issue I'm raising.

What on earth does how much I spent on the gifts have to do with anything? That's really none of anyone's business but my own.

-Jeffrey

7. peacefuljeffrey

peacefuljeffrey Senior Member

Were you a prisoner in the jail? What for?

Is giving the middle finger still your attitude? Is that the best, most "capturing" picture of you that you could come up with to show the world? What does that say about you? The face of yourself that you want to show others -- people you know and those you've yet to meet -- is you saying, "Fuck you."

Nice. Is that what passes for "cool" these days? "Here's my attitude: eat it. I'm sooo 'bad.' "

-Jeffrey

8. Diomedes

Diomedes Member

Oh I disagree there jeffrey. The eating habit of a child is ultimately up to their parents, much like you apparently disagree with giving your kids a milk shake machine. The parents are free to buy it and the company is free to sell it. You seem to be arguing that that freedom should be taken away, you are holding the business responsible for decisions the parents make; that dog won't hunt.

Whoah, take it easy bud. The reason I inquired about the amount of money you spent is because, even though you think that Wal-Mart is quote "evil", you still shop there. Now I wonder why that is?

9. paintingjames

paintingjames freaky fish

"Anyone who has an emotional bond with McDonald's, or anyone who can relate anything they love about life to a company that sells deep fried processed chicken meat should be stabbed in the face."

lol that website rules!!!!

10. forest_pixie84

forest_pixie84 Senior Member

Well it's not Mc Donalds, No one who makes fries that good could be evil, but walmart... Hmm, they have the best prices anywhere (the bait), one day they'll overtake every corporation known to man, then sky rocket their prices and we will all be forced to pay or parish. Then the ceo will reveal his true self (he must be an alien of some type) then they will undoubtedly conquer the human race... I have to say i'm a little afriad

11. forest_pixie84

forest_pixie84 Senior Member

well, i'm pretty sure it's not chicken;)

12. BFG_Rob

BFG_Rob Banned

Mcdonalds is definitely more evil than Walmart.

I can only say this with confidence because I've eaten both a Big Mac and a large discount tupperware container from Walmart.

Guess which one tasted better? :p

I know what you're thinking, and the answer is, yes. Even with lots of ketchup.

13. randy

randy Member

14. Aquamarine

Aquamarine Member

I think that Walmart is slightly more 'evil'. Even though most of us shop there (low prices), it does seem to take business away from the smaller/family owned business. Hm, seems like as far back as I can remember, there's always been a Target or a K-mart. Those were the only two mega stores around in the late 70's / early 80's.

15. Applespark

Applespark Ingredients:*Sugar*

Aaaaaaaaaaahahahahahaha

16. Applespark

it's not only the meat the the veggies that are used in the food are probably of low quality as well...highly processed and come from underpaid overworked farm workers bla...the whole thing is gross.

17. Greenhornet

Greenhornet Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Walmart and McDonalds are part of a continuation of what Karl Marx pointed out 100 years ago. At that time, craftspeople were being put out of their jobs and being converted into wage labor in factories.

Now a good number of independent business owners are being put out of business by Wal Mart, the US Steel of today, and many (or at least their kids) end up working for $7 an hour at Wal Mart, while the Wal family has over 20 billion each. This is a renewal of Victorian labor relations: near starvation wages, no benefits, few protections: get a job at Wal Mart and rent a room at the nearest run-down motel. Is this American freedom?

If you can afford it, boycott Wal Mart and support small businesses whenever possible!

18. Applespark

I never shop at walmart or eat mc donalds..I don't find it hard....But I guess there are places where that's the big place to shop. If that was t he only place around Id probably get things there

19. lucyinthesky

lucyinthesky Tie Dyed Soul

Yeah fuck mcdonald's, i worked there for 2 years, and you couldn't be more right. Whoever said mcd's employees start at more than 8$/hr is LYING. Also the only benefits you ever get within mcdonalds is if you become a full time, lose your life, schooling, and any potential you ever had to make it anywhere in the word slave to their inhumaaaanity! As much as wal-mart also is satan, mcdonalds is the ultimate satan. Plus they kill cows, and put even 5 year olds at the risk of heart attacks.

20. cobcottage

cobcottage Member

Lets see: Wal-mart is one of the largest contributers to the Republican party, and Clinton ate at Mcdonalds...I would say Mcdonalds was the lesser of two evils.

But please, patronize the green parties vegetable stand down the block:)