Who's more evil?WalMart or McD's?

Discussion in 'Globalization' started by TerrapinRose, May 28, 2004.

1. meishka

meishka Grease Munky

macdonalds hands down. wal mart is the justin timberlake of evil corporations

2. Willy_Wonka_27

Willy_Wonka_27 Surrender to the Flow

mc donalds cuz in almost everything they sell has some type of animal product in them

3. Angel_Headed_Hipster

Angel_Headed_Hipster Senior Member

It's not that we hate them when they become big, it's that when they become big, they start to exploit workers and break laws to get even more richer and more powerful. Look at St. Ives, they are a big company, but i have nothing against them because they don't exploit their factory workers, and don't test on animals.

Peace and Love,
    Dan

4. SageDreamer

SageDreamer Senior Member

I'd cast a vote for (or should I say against?) WalMart being more evil. Both WalMart and McDonald's have done some pretty heinous things, but WalMart's anti-union record tips the scale for me.

There seem to be plenty of part-timers at McDonald's who are truly part-time, but there seem to be lots of WalMart employees who are putting in lots and lots of hours of mandatory overtime without sufficient compensation. WalMart seems to have done some serious damage to Main Street and downtown areas all over the country.

I use WalMart as a bus stop and I'll pop in and use their restroom, but otherwise I have no use for them.

5. Thethirdbenjamin

Thethirdbenjamin Member

My Vote is still for McD's, any way they can make money they try and anyway they can cut back on money they also try.

In termes of employees they treat everyone as replacable, not the best model
    In the last months 4 managers quit and 10 employees left.

They where able to replace 8 of the employees, but they are having a hard time replacing the managers.

Before i got there there was about 150+ employees now its down to less then 80.

So in termes of turn around they have a huge problem with too many people quiting and too many people being hired only to quit several months later.

If you want to piss off you local McD's get in a group of people send your applications in, once your all hired, everyone in the group quits a month later.

That will cause huge employee problems.

I threatened to leave and everytime they get nicer to me as i'm a maintance worker, they could replace me but its a little bit harder, good luck finding someone who isn't lazy and whouldn't mind worker there.

the managers at both stores, argue. this includes the walmart stores that have a McD in them.

The store managers at Walmart think that McD's owe's them something and the mangers at McD's think Walmart owes them something.

its a love/hate relationship as much as both companies hate each other they both need each other for there corporate goals.

6. InTheFlesh

InTheFlesh Member

I would say McDonalds. For one thing, I'm a vegetarian, but they make their food so carelessly. So many people have let themselves be manipulated into thinking their food is "healthy."
    Though, Wall Mart is pretty big and has ripped off foreign employees with under minnimum-wage wages.

7. iamwhatiam

iamwhatiam Banned

I do not like either of them more than the other. However, as Walmart sells a variety of products at a lower price, McDonald's overcharges you for their greasy, cholestrol-laden, artificial whopperburgers and has a scarylooking clown guy as their mascot.

8. MikeE

MikeE Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Well, lets see
    Mc Donald's - Burger King - Wendy's - KFC - Taco Bell - Carl's Jr.

Walmart - K Mart - CostCo

It looks like McDonalds has less of a monopoly, I would vote that Walmart is worse.

Is it important to know which of two evils is worse?

9. Lucifer Sam

Lucifer Sam Vegetable Man

Oh man, K-Mart can't even be considered competiton for Wal-Mart. In my town, there was a Wal-Mart and a K-Mart right next to eachother. As you might have guessed, the K-Mart went out of business and the Wal-Mart is packed with people. Wal-Mart truly is a monopoly. All of it's surrounding stores in my town get little business.

Hmm... I wonder if the current state of Wal-Mart is what Sam Walton dreamed of creating. I have a feeling that it's not.

10. purcolekraze

purcolekraze Member

In Plymouth Massachusetts there is a Wal-Mart with a McDonalds in it. Now that's evil.

11. TheMadcapSyd

TheMadcapSyd Titanic's captain, yo!

Wal-Mart, when Wal-Mart comes to town, everything closes down, but I mean you can go to main street and find a Wendy's, Burger King, McDonalds, Dunkin Donuts and a local place joint all being competive on the same street within a block of each other. I ain't kidding either, that's what Rt.1 about 10 minutes away from here looks like, on the other hand, Rt.80 where there is a Wal-Mart, no other non-food place around.

12. Psychedelic Moss

Psychedelic Moss Member

yeah.. they are both equally evil... the walmart in my town has a mcdonald's inside too...

13. fulmah

fulmah Chaser of Muses

I've got 3 Walmart's within 20 miles of me, and 1 Super Walmart. 2 of em have McDonalds inside of em, I don't know about the other 2, they were built after I started boycotting them.

I hate Walmart with a passion, other than the things mentioned in this thread, I also despise how they buy so many of their products from sweat shops in China.

14. Soulless||Chaos

Soulless||Chaos SelfInducedExistence

Wal-mart is definantly more evil... :rolleyes:

15. Maes

Maes Senior Member

neo-liberalism is the root of all thats evil.

16. LaurelBayTree

LaurelBayTree Senior Member

i think both are equally evil.

17. Diomedes

Diomedes Member

I think they are both equally wonderful.

18. Applespark

Applespark Ingredients:*Sugar*

Ill say they are both evil for the reasons you have stated and mcds besides the obvious reasons that they are disliked...are IN walmart itself. Its all a crazy mess

19. HippyCor$ter

HippyCor$ter Ackamonkey

Yea walmart is evil. Yea they give you good prices but did you know if you buy something there (sence there so big) they can pay the compiney to make it cheaper? When I was in the jail the teacher in there told me that, but shes a jail teacher how smart could she be...

20. peacefuljeffrey

peacefuljeffrey Senior Member

I was at Walmart last night, shopping for gifts for 3 and 5-year-old nieces...

In the toy section they had a McDonald's milkshake maker toy set.

It's not bad enough that Walmart's evil... and McDonald's is evil... They are teaching little kids that milkshakes are "fun" and setting up wonderful eating habits that these kids will then take with them through their shortened obese adulthoods.

-Jeffrey