Who's more evil?WalMart or McD's?

Discussion in 'Globalization' started by TerrapinRose, May 28, 2004.

1. TerrapinRose

TerrapinRose Member

My 10 year old asked this question yesterday:"Which is more evil,walmart or McDonalds?" Husband and I both decided it was Walmart,mostly because they have so damaged the socio-economic landscape of small town America,and so on. Wondered what thoughts others had. Also was just so darn proud of my kid that she asks these things,wanted to brag a bit.

2. mynameiskc

mynameiskc way to go noogs!

the walmart here in town has a mcdonalds in teh store. you can order your food at the checkout and go pick it up.

3. seamonster66

seamonster66 discount dracula

The one here is the same...talk about a wicked partnership!

4. HappyHaHaGirl

HappyHaHaGirl *HipForums Princess*

I make it a point never to patronize either one. I haven't in years, and you can't make me!

5. MaxPower

MaxPower Kicker Of Asses

I hate Wal Mart, but I hate those "I'm lovin it" commercials even more, so my vote goes to McDonalds.

Oh, and if you want to hear someone who REALLY hates McDonalds, go here:

http://maddox.xmission.com/c.cgi?u=lovin_it

6. Strawberry_Fields_Fo

Strawberry_Fields_Fo RN

I don't get it. You say you hate big corporations like WalMart because they put small companies out of business. But when those small companies DO become successful, you turn against them and say they're big evil corporations. So tell me, just how big can a business get before you withdraw your support?

7. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

Walmart is far more evil, simply because of the way they ruin suburban areas with their ridiculously large, hideous buildings.

8. WayfaringStranger

WayfaringStranger Corporate Slave #34

walmart is more evil. at mcdonalds you can start at over 8 bux an hour and get overtime and benefits. at wal mart full time is between 28 and 32 hrs a week, and youre not allowed to work more or get benefits. starting wage averages around 6 bux an hour. the no 1 job that employs the most people in the US is a walmart cashier.(about 9000 bux a year gross income)

9. dwilcox1982

dwilcox1982 Member

IMO, I have no problem at all w/ large corporations... who use ethical, humane means of production. Problem is, I haven't found any "humane" corp's. Small, private companies and "mom-n-pop" stores are usually too small to have any negative impact.

10. Digital Underpants

Digital Underpants Member

I looked and that is fuckin' killer!
    I would agree Mceedeees is more evil. My daughter told me at age four that The Man was gonna come in there and change the place into a family library and then aleins would take it over. Turns out she was mostly right.

11. Thethirdbenjamin

Thethirdbenjamin Member

Basicly i whould say McD's, i feel sorry for the swing managers, casishes, cooking staff, 1st an 2nd assistant and store mangers.

The swing managers have to put up with a lot of s_it both from customers and from the resturant it self, they strive to satasfy the customers and the 1st, 2nd assistant and store managers.

They are given a lot of responsiblitys with a bit higher pay and a lot higher stress they make anywhere between $9-$13

That plus most managers are normaly sucked into a full comitment at McDonalds.

I know a second assistant who use to work at a Mcdonalds 4 towns down and the corporation asked for him to help out, he ended up driving everyday wich is a 3hr drive back and forth.

Now he has money and finacial woes.

Overall i whould say McDonalds because the way they treat there managers and the responsiblities they expect from them are a little to much for the pay there given and most where unable to get a well rounded education, because
    most where suckered into a lifetime comitment at McD's instead of going to college and university.

I know this because i'm a part time maintenance worker, for me conditions are not to bad as the average maintenance worker earns $9. Not bad almost as much as a swing manager.

and the only reason way a maintenance worker earns close to a manager because everyone eles in the store is lazy, maintenance workers are paid more because they do other jobs which people are to lazy to do.

and I'm free to leave when ever i want to, but for the mangers they can't because they can't find any other job willing to pay them the same amount and/or they lack the education they where denied when they became full time employees.

12. iamwhatiam

iamwhatiam Banned

i was angry when I read of their latest fund raiser deal on the back of one of their bags or cups... they raised x-amount of millions of dollars for some organization, to help kids grow into healthy strong adults or some bullshit like that... what hypocrites!

13. trotsky

trotsky Member

Walmart is satan!

14. 7river

7river on a distinguished path

when it becomes so big that it detaches from any conscience. a "corporation" has no human responsibility. it seperates from humanity like the epitome of babylon detached from nature.

15. 7river

7river on a distinguished path

i would just like to comment that although i do not have a lot of money and am a single parent of two kids, i never patronize these stores. it is not easy because walmart has become the "default" for almost everything, but this is the primary way to protest such a thing.

instead i give all my money to local business and local organic farmers and such...i know, i'm preaching to the converted:)

16. Dolphin~Rider

Dolphin~Rider Member

I think Walmart is worse. The pay/benefits suck, they use sweat shop labor to keep prices down, the lower prices they can offer put smaller businesses out of business, they discriminate against women...the list of offenses is just endless! McD's may be awful, but the food and prices aren't so great that they can put all the other mom & pop diners and the like out of business, they give better wages/benefits than Walmart and the thing about their food that's funny is that if you eat there alot you feel so shitty that you have to stop awhile or your body will rebel and turn on you! Can't eat it myself-yuck!

17. bjorky

bjorky Member

did you know that (at least in the UK) McD employees can be reprimanded for offering ketchup with your meal as the big boss figured that they can save untold but huge sums of money on relying in their customers to be too lazy to return to the counter to ask for some................allegedly.

My walmart also has a mcDs in it...holy franchise batman.

18. lover/young_peace

lover/young_peace Senior Member

^ that's (allegedly) funny and sad.

oh and from the link:

"Anyone who has an emotional bond with McDonald's, or anyone who can relate anything they love about life to a company that sells deep fried processed chicken meat should be stabbed in the face. The only bond this campaign is rekindling is that of my ass to the toilet. I'd rather have my skin sand blasted off than eat another pig rectum sandwich from McDonald's."

hahaha that made me laugh my ass off. Life may be sad, but it's funny......?

~~~peace~~~

19. FunkyPhreshMama

FunkyPhreshMama Visitor

our walmart has a mcdonalds in it!! damn!!

20. TerrapinRose

TerrapinRose Member

There's probably McDs in the walmarts around here,I never go in there to look! I am trying to teach my kids that if you need something you should try to get it used. I want them to understand the enviornmental reasons for this,not just that it saves money.It's disturbing how shopping has become the national passtime in this country.