Whoops! The Law of Unintended Consequences strikes again

Discussion in 'Women's Forum' started by dotadave, Jan 30, 2005.

1. dotadave

dotadave Member

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2005/01/30/wgerm30.xml&sSheet=/news/2005/01/30/ixworld.html

The field of pimping has just been advanced by lightyears.

2. dawn_sky

dawn_sky Senior Member

wow. just, wow.

3. Taylor

Taylor Repatriated

argh. people are so damn stupid.
    I must say, I'd rather struggle for money then become a prostitute.

4. dotadave

dotadave Member

No one should ever be coerced into that life. The sex industry can be very taxing psychologically. It can make it difficult for them to ever have a normal relationship. Seeing as these people have no choice but to take the job the owner could offer only minimum wage. I can't imagine having to sell my dignity for $6 an hour.

5. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

One more good reason that prostitution IS a form of slavery, and why it should not be legal........this particular twist from the people who brought you the "Final Solution."

You are right, Stilanas, I can't see selling my dignity for $10,000 an hour!

6. Super_Grrl

Super_Grrl Crazy love

Forcing someone into the sex trade? Isn't that a form of rape?

7. Faerie

Faerie Peachy

How sad is that....

8. Sera Michele

Sera Michele Senior Member

You know, I have always been outspoken about legalizing prostitution and taxing it. It would clean up the industry, offer the women more security, health benefits, retirement, etc...while the taxes would allow more in our gov't budget for social programs, education, etc...

But this paticular situation never entered my mind. Forcing women to work there or lose their unemployment is unethical, immoral, and downright scary. Women should not have the ultimatium of selling sex or losing unemployment.

How many times in Germany has this happened to men? Has it ever?

9. Abyle

Abyle Member

The problem with prostitution is it creates a power heirarchy I just don't agree with. When it comes to sex, I should ALWAYS have the choice to say no. Always. Prostitution takes that choice away. I feel there should be opportunities for men to explore their sexuality in a 100% discreet environment, and that's called phone sex! ;)

10. dotadave

dotadave Member

Well I don't know about that. I'm pro-choice on everything, including prostitution. But this is not choice nor is it the form legal prostitution should take. Even the legal brothels in Nevada allow women to say no. People do need to be educated and warned about the true price of selling yourself.

11. Taylor

Taylor Repatriated

prostitution is legal here in New Zealand. it was legalised about a year and a half ago so that prostitutes can now go to the police if they have been raped, brothels have to have certain standards and health checks are mandatory... All of that is good stuff and I very much support it. This sort of situation was discussed when it was legalised but I think that an exception can and will be made for prostitution.

12. Kiz

Kiz Member

Prostitution is legal in some parts of Aus too, but I can't see something like that happening here. Under our welfare laws, we only have to look for "suitable work", which is most work admittedly, but you don't have to do something you are morally opposed to. As a vegan I can say no to chicken gutting or whatever.

13. StarFaerie

StarFaerie Member

"prostitution is legal here in New Zealand. it was legalised about a year and a half ago so that prostitutes can now go to the police if they have been raped, brothels have to have certain standards and health checks are mandatory... All of that is good stuff and I very much support it. This sort of situation was discussed when it was legalised but I think that an exception can and will be made for prostitution."

I agree that leaglising prostitution can be a very good thing, for the reasons you listed. However, I don't see how they can't make prostitution an exception because they can't distinguish it from bars? WTF? How bout this, in a bar you don't have to sell your body! That is truly sickening!

14. Kiz

Kiz Member

I really don't get how they can't make the distinction either.

15. TheLittleOne

TheLittleOne Senior Member

that's disgusting

16. Taylor

Taylor Repatriated

*shrug* That is germany. Distinctions are made here. I think what Kiz said is how it works here too.

17. dawn_sky

dawn_sky Senior Member

While looking for something else on snopes, I came across this, which I thought some of you would like to know:

http://www.snopes.com/media/notnews/brothel.asp

"This was another case where, like a game of "telephone," a story was sensationalized for political purposes and passed from one news source to the next, and somewhere in the rewriting and translating process what was originally discussed as a mere hypothetical possibility has now been reported as a factual occurrence. "

18. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

Good detective work, dawn.

However it is still a technical possibility, although not beleived to have actually happened yet.