Who Should "Control" Cannabis?

Discussion in 'Cannabis Legal and Security Issues' started by skip, Oct 18, 2010.

1. silly sam

silly sam Member

i said nobody but i think that would just lead to a lot more problems. people already have made it extremely more potent then normal grown weed. i have no idea what i used to smoke over the years. would be better if was regulated in some way so that was healthy as possible. the side effects seem to come from the skunk? (sorry if wrong)

2. Deranged

Deranged Senor Member

as unpleasant as it might be, i see no way of ensuring buds aren't laced or otherwise sold in a shady manner 'cept through government regulation.

3. Meliai

Meliai Banned

thats pretty much opposite of the point I made. I said that without competition there is no way to ensure purity.

mother should i trust the government?

4. PB_Smith

PB_Smith Huh? What? Who, me?

:confused:

5. Deranged

Deranged Senor Member

although i'll agree that a capitalistic approach would probably ensure the most positive economic outcome of marijuana legalization, i think without a government institution in effect (like the FDA) to actually systematically test to ensure the buddage isn't laced, i don't see any other way of making sure individual competitors don't lace their buds or use other unsafe and/or unfair practices to make a few more bucks.

6. PB_Smith

Dude, nobody in thier right mind is going to lace pot with anything, especially if they want to sell it. Lacing pot with stuff went the way of the dodo bird in 1973.
    What need would there be to lace pot with anything? Strains are already hella strong that it would be a complete waste of time and money, not to mention that anybody who did lace thier weed with something would lose 100% of thier business once it was discovered.
    Please tell me what someone might lace their weed with that would be more economically profitable? Once you have a grow operation set-up and rolling, the expenses aren't that much compared to the profit margin.

7. JackFlash

JackFlash Senior Member

The closest thing we presently have is the herb industry, which is unregulated. Recent independent genetic testing revealed that only 30% of the herbs you buy are what they are supposed to be. Because of this, all previous studies of the effectiveness of herbs on helping relieve medical problems has been pretty much a waste.

Do you somehow expect pot to be any different?

8. PB_Smith

Yes, because most people purchasing herbs are not as familier with them as people purchasing cannabis. I could tell in a second if what I got was marijuana or not, but I have no idea how to tell the difference between the many different herbs used in homeopathy. Plus most of those herbs are not purchased in "raw" form as cannabis is/would most likely be sold, but in a processed or tincture form. I don't envision weed being sold in packs like cigarettes, but in bulk buds much the same as it is done already.
    Don't you think you could tell if your pot was really cannabis or tampered with?

9. Deranged

Deranged Senor Member

ive dropped dirty for meth, opiates, and coke on 3-4 separate occasions after having only smoked weed. i've seen bricks covered in cocaine. i've seen large bags of bud with shake that was more meth than shake. most people can't tell the difference, but laced bud is a lot more prevalent than most stoners care to admit.

a completely unregulated market does not work.

10. JackFlash

JackFlash Senior Member

I've been smoking for almost 45 years and grew most of that time until 2002, but most people don't have near that much experience.

Recently, about 1600 people got sick from bad eggs, with government regulation. Had there been no regulation and no way to oversee the investigation, it could have been millions.

I'm not really thrilled about government regulation, but without it we're nothing more than experimental rats in a game for ever increasing profits. From exploding Pintos to killer cribs, government regulation has worked better than corporate self regulation.

11. FritzDaKatx2

FritzDaKatx2 Vinegar Taster

Wheres the vote for "We all should"?

:willy_nilly:

**Edit** Oh wait, there it is,,, I blame the pot.

:window:

12. TheMadcapSyd

TheMadcapSyd Titanic's captain, yo!

See I still don't believe it if anything solely for the free market reason of a drug gang is trying to make money, you don't make money by putting more drugs for free onto the drugs you're already selling. Especially considering the fact the drug market basically has regional regulation by supply and demand, prices when it comes down to the average buyer are basically always the same no matter who you go to.

Not to mention you'd smell/taste another drug on weed pretty easily, like immediately realize something doesn't taste right.

13. Meliai

Meliai Banned

you're getting your pot from the wrong people.

14. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Does it have to be an either/or issue? Most people I know buy their pot from local, trusted growers. That is my main argument with keeping the government out of it. This allows for competition, which gives people a choice.

15. PB_Smith

:icon_bs:

16. JackFlash

JackFlash Senior Member

There is little regulation on the criteria for "organic" food, consequently much of it labeled "organic" is not.

When you open up a multi-billion $ industry, there is going to be problems.

But, I can solve the problem right now, send a bud from each bag to me and I'll test it for free.

17. Meliai

Meliai Banned

This is true. however, when its kept on a small, local scale it is easier for the consumer to identify the source and therefore the practices of organic farmers. I try to buy all my produce and herbs from local farmer markets. This eliminates the possibility of buying "organic" food from a store like Whole Foods that was actually shipped across the country from a farm that meets the most minimalist standards for an organic seal.

I would like the option of buying marijuana locally and legally.

oh and I think i'm the obvious choice to test all this hypothetically legal weed. just sayin...send it all to me.

18. largeamount

largeamount Senior Member

it just does not make any sense... why would any dealer with half a brain think that they will somehow benefit by adding such an expensive drug to such a cheap drug and then selling it for the price of the cheaper drug? smoking cocaine has almost no effect so why wouldnt they just sell it separately ?

no one is saying its impossible but is just so rare that it is not a problem... anyone with a bit of experience with cannabis could tell the difference between getting stoned and getting high on meth for the first time in their life haha

19. JackFlash

JackFlash Senior Member

Evidently, you don't live in a place like New York City, where people have never seen veggies growing, or a live cow, or a bud that wasn't compressed beyond recognition.

Who knows, why do the cigarette companies add ammonia and other nasty shit to cigarettes?

What is freebasing? How about crack?
    Back in the 70s, adding power cocaine to a joint was fashionable in some circles for a more "active" high.

What about those who don't have "bit of experience?"

20. Deranged

Deranged Senor Member

most stoners won't believe it, but unless you've always known your grower, chances are you've smoked laced buds. doesn't matter if it's mids or dank. it has happened.

here's a story from about a year ago. me and a 3 buddies were going on a roadie. 2 of em had just graduated from college and brought some chronic back from there (one of the 2 was an on and off pot dealer for the past 7+ years). me and the other guy were both ex buds dealers as well and pretty huge potheads. we're talking 3/4 people who'd spent their whole day high for almost a decade. some of it was my buddy in town's chronic. some of it was my buddy just back from college's overpriced dank.

a couple months prior to this, i had tried heroin for the first time (snorted it) just to try it once. (luckily i didn't enjoy it at all so you won't see me trying this stupid crap again). it made me feel narcoleptic. like i'd just be sitting there and all of a sudden i'd be almost passed out instantly. then back to normal again. felt really "dirty" and made me nauseous enough to puke.

we smoked a few bowls while driving around my neighborhood. nobody noticed anything, cept me. i noticed how this weed made me feel "narcoleptic." exactly like the heroin. i'm pretty good at telling when weed i laced. in fact i seem to be the only one i've ever encountered that can genuinely tell. i had a doctor appointment coming up the next day or two, and my doc is pretty cool, so i decided to tell him what was up and see if i could get a piss test to see if it was just in my head. long story short, i tested positive for opiates and marijuana when the past couple months, the only drug i had used was marijuana.

in high school i dropped dirty for meth one or two times having never touched the stuff.

whether you want to believe it or not, some dealers lace their weed. hell, i had a buddy in high school who stole some slug or something dipped in fermaldahyde(or the newer safer stuff they use anymore, i dont remember which), dipped his ounce of middies in it, and sold it off, not telling anyone cept his friends. probably doesn't happen on that low of a level all that much, but i don't care how you do the math, i know for a fact that my weed has been laced with meth and opiates(im guessing heroin) due to piss tests.

5 years ago i bought a couple ounces off a buddy. weed was great for a while, 'til everyone started getting back and neck aches from it. made is real speedy. buddy was over that had just got back from cali and apparently did a lot of meth out there. he looked at the shake at the bottom and noticed that the shake included meth.

i don't care who youre getting your bud from. unless you know the grower, youve had laced weed before. your dude's getting it from a guy who's getting it from a guy who's getting it from a guy and you don't know what they've done to it to try to turn over an extra buck or two.

i'm not saying all weed is laced or even that most weed is laced. my guess is the number's somewhere around 5%. the only way to prevent things like this from happening is a regulated market.