Who Should "Control" Cannabis?

Discussion in 'Cannabis Legal and Security Issues' started by skip, Oct 18, 2010.

1. PB_Smith

PB_Smith Huh? What? Who, me?

Couple of quick questions.
    How many kids do you have and how old is the oldest?

2. OhSoDreadful

OhSoDreadful Childish Idealist

Honestly, and this is going to sound sarcastic and like I'm an asshole but I'm being completely sincere.

You stop being a kid when you come to think that just because you're older than someone you are better than them and have power over them. I'm still a kid and I plan on staying that way. I am better than no person regardless of how old I grow, how much personal experience and knowledge I gain: kids are still my equals and have every right to make the same choices I do. This can be dangerous to society, yes, but society is dangerous for my future children :)

3. Heat

Heat Smile, it's contagious! :) Lifetime Supporter

I am asking you what age would you say a child/youth should be to be allowed to buy, grow or ingest cannabis. I am not talking about children who could benefit from medicinal, I am talking recreational.

4. OhSoDreadful

As long as they know and understand what they are getting into and the risks involved, whatever age they decide is best. It's not like my kid is going to be roaming the streets and getting sold weed at 1-whatever age they can defend themselves because they will be with me. If/when I have a child I will raise them to appreciate making choices for themselves somewhere there aren't a million people influencing them and then I hope they will make choices for themselves when they leave me instead of doing anything just because someone else does it. I will raise them as my peer so that they know bad peer pressure when they see it.

5. Heat

I asked for a number as no law is going to pass without it. In my opinion no law should pass without it. It would be irresponsible on the part of society and government to allow that or even entertain that.

I was honestly hoping that we would saw off on just a difference on the term "kid" and an age appropriate agreement or understanding of each others views. When I re-read I thought that perhaps we just had not communicated clearly to each other.

I see that is not the case.

I am not making this personal but I would venture that you may very well change your own opinion on "kids" and what you may or may not deem to be appropriate as time goes by. I will leave it at that. Wishing you well and many little ankle biters at some point in time to drive you absolutely nuts. :)

This circle conversation has done nothing but to really point out that this is exactly what makes those opposed to legalization wary and militant about all legalization.

The proverbial free for all will not happen. If any grounds are to be gained on legalization it will be with legal boundaries in place. Those will change given time but as a start, it will never pass without it.

I want this to pass and I want decriminalization but maturity and experience also tells me that comes with rules. Like all in life.

6. OhSoDreadful

Well you can live under the government then and I wont. I will make my own decisions and allow others to make theirs without trying to pretend like I know what's right and wrong because noone knows that.

This is me agreeing to disagree

7. Heat

Fair enough. :)

When you find some where left on earth that you can live without government interference, then let us all know. There could be a mass exodus. ;)

8. OhSoDreadful

not find, create

9. euphoriaforall

euphoriaforall Member

Hip Forums.

10. largeamount

largeamount Senior Member

yea i almost never get arrested here

11. deleted

deleted Visitor

Master Blaster ... :ssmokeit:

12. JackFlash

JackFlash Senior Member

I raised 3 of the ankle biters. I neither encouraged nor discouraged them concerning pot. I really don't care how you cut the cake, teenagers are not mature enough to make the best decisions in life. This has nothing to do with parenting or intelligence, it's a brain development thing. While I doubt an occasional joint will hurt teens, regular use, in my semi-professional opinion, can inhibit the normal development of the brain.

As it stands, there are legal issues and criminal charges can devastate a teenagers life before it begins. I can tell you from experience that your 14 year old will raid your pot plants and take it to school. This makes them really cool to have parents who grow pot, and a 7" pot leaf impresses their peers.

13. PB_Smith

I agree.:2thumbsup:
    It is always so interesting that the most progressive, breakthrough, revolutionary ideas and philosophies on child rearing that are going to break all the molds and show the better way always come from people who don't have kids.:rolleyes:

14. Heat

I agree with you.

I do think that there has to be a reasonable age of consumption on any legalization and I feel it should be decriminalized. That they do not make the best decisions is a given, just as we did not always and still do not always make the best decisions. To not limit age would be irresponsible. Instead it needs to be decriminalized for personal use. So instead they would be corrected, disciplined or reprimanded under that. Not any different (even though it is a different substance) than alcohol or tobacco.

That way if little Johnny takes that pot leaf to school it is going to not be a mistake in life that ruins his for all time.

Until it is changed legally and it is not criminal then there still need to be age limitations. Any country who has legalized cannabis has age restrictions.

My kids are 15 and 16 and I am not naive. I was also not born this age. ;)

I would worry more about a lot of others also raiding my garden who are too lazy to grow their own. :)

15. OhSoDreadful

Yes I agree that they wont always make what the decision that society wants them to make, my point is that they are always going to do what they want so what good is making them do community service or sticking them in juvie?

Also, teaching your child yourself, the obvious choice. I have no idea why anyone would send their child to a public school.

16. PB_Smith

Two things have really had an impact on my teen girls regarding drugs in general and weed in particular.
    I have always been 100% honest about my past and occasional current use, and they see some of their peers who smoke daily and go to school stoned. They have also watched friends grades plummet after they started smoking pot a lot.
    Both my high school age daughters are straight A+ honor roll students in all advanced classes with educational and career goals. For them, the parties can wait, they know that school is just a temporary stage in their lives, but one that will have a lasting impact on the remainder of their lives. Not all teens can see beyond the next weekend let alone 10-20 years into their future.
    Also witnessing the problems I have had because I was one of those teens who didn't look past the next weekend or joint has also had an impact as well.
    Yeah I'm bragging, but my girls are very brag worthy.:sifone:

Restrictions on pot should be about the same as they are for alcohol, plain and simple.

Heather, my daughter managed to raise $700 for the hospital in 3 weeks. Not bad for a 14 year old. In total they raised $1.4 million so far. :)
    http://www.chocwalk.net/faf/home/de...&kntae427906=41D5225A8D294307B0BCFA131ED3B180
    She is already making plans for next year and is shooting for $3000-$5000. She'll do it to.

Got off topic a little there sorry :p

17. deleted

deleted Visitor

my sid is better than your sid.. opps.. wong thread..:)

18. largeamount

largeamount Senior Member

my parents were very strict when it came to cannabis but that did not stop me or any of my friends in similar situations from starting to smoke in middle school. the fact that i knew they disapproved of what i was doing did not make me want to stop or feel guilty, instead i distanced myself from them emotionally and never trusted them. After a while most parents realize that kids are going to do whatever the fuck they want regardless

19. PB_Smith

Exactly the reason why I adopted the straight up no bullshit honesty approach concerning drugs.
    Also both my girls are in favor of legalization, not because they smoke it, but because they understand the issue and think it makes no sense to keep it illegal.

20. JackFlash

JackFlash Senior Member

That was my way, about everything.