Who Should "Control" Cannabis?

Discussion in 'Cannabis Legal and Security Issues' started by skip, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Meliai

Meliai Banned

forgive me for my seemingly contradictory statements. I did a report in college about tax revenues that could be generated with the legalization of marijuana and I went pretty in depth with it so I have a lot of theoretical figures bouncing around in my head; figures that could pay off the two wars of the last decade, pull the US out of debt, and repair our infrastructure.

i definitely see the benefits of taxation. But as I was typing that, I started thinking about other sindustries that are taxed and regulated, and I started considering the tobacco industry, and it made me wonder if the corruption in the product that could stem from allowing independent corporations to produce marijuana in mass consumption would be worth the tax revenue...and so I changed my tune halfway through my post. whew giant run on sentence ...

I guess my only concern with any kind of corporation, be it independent or state run, controlling marijuana is how do we as consumers trust the government to regulate it in a way that keeps the product pure?

I like the idea of microgrowers, much the same as microbreweries. Microbreweris produce good product and most revenue produced goes back into a local economy. The Bud Lights of the world still exist, but microbreweries at least provide the consumers with a choice. I am all for taxation provided that localized growers have an equal chance compared to large corporations that might want to mass produce and corrupt the product.

for this reason I think I am also against a state-ran corporation being in control. Without competition there is no real way to ensure the purity of the product.

2. Heat

Heat Smile, it's contagious! :) Lifetime Supporter

The statement was only in reference to the implication that people only go or have gone overboard because it was controlled, as in illegal. I failed to find logic in that.

I totally agree with you that both alcohol and tobacco are far more harmful. They are also addictive. I would far rather my kids when they are of age decide that they wish to use cannabis recreationally than to use either of the others. Especially tobacco.

I think that without a tax base/revenue from this it will never be allowed to stand as law. Without controls it will also not stand.

Medicinal will still need stringent guidelines on growing for exactly the reasons you stated. They are already there so it is a matter of those being kept in place.

No one likes taxes or rules.

Agree with your thoughts. :)

3. deleted

deleted Visitor

tobacco farmers are armed with guns, so are their shipping facilities..

4. lunarverse

lunarverse The Living End

Perhaps if there was a type of independant control board that set rules and laws in place to regulate the quality of the product.

The state owned and operated crown corporations would be in charge of legal aspects (laws and regulation), and would also be the ones who grew it, considering they're ultimately in charge of it's legality and the regulations behind it. They would be in charge of distributing it as well.

But each state could have a quality control board that is a publicly owned and whatnot, taxes would pay for it like they do health care, and they would be in charge of enforcing safe, healthy grow regulations.

Part of the state sale of cannabis would go towards paying for this board. The only objective then would be to make sure they don't accept bribes.

5. odon

odon Slightly Popular

Is this about America again? Jeez.

6. lunarverse

lunarverse The Living End

Actor Urges Government to Legalize Marijuana

Date: 12-Oct-2010

Welsh actor Rhys Ifans is calling for cannabis to be legalized in the U.K. branding the drug "one of life's little pleasures".

The "Notting Hill" star, who portrays infamous drug smuggler Howard Marks in upcoming biopic "Mr. Nice", is adamant the criminalization of marijuana is "idiotic" and creates more problems

http://foreign.peacefmonline.com/entertainment/201010/91582.php

7. odon

odon Slightly Popular

I know the decriminalisation/legalisation etc issue isn't just an American issue.
    I just meant what might work in one country might not work in another.
    And again, we seemed to be focusing on America.

8. largeamount

largeamount Senior Member

this guys controls cannabis
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdnvW4OGWYU"]YouTube - 2000 pound Marijuana case dismissed

9. largeamount

largeamount Senior Member

realistically speaking it is already the case... the government is in no way controlling mother nature, cannabis crops are flourishing across the US, you cant imprison the Earth :sunny:

10. OhSoDreadful

OhSoDreadful Childish Idealist

Uhh, did you even listen to what I wrote at all? minors are still going to get it, then get caught, then pay the consequences.

So basically what you're proposing is : "hey the government sucks I want to smoke pot legally" and then when you GET to smoke legally you go and play the part of the government and tell other people how to live their lives. I wouldn't introduce my kids to weed till at least the age I started smoking but I'm never going to stop them from doing what they want to do, ever.

11. Heat

This post is exactly why so many people have an issue with legalization of cannabis.

I am sure that you will make a wonderful parent.

12. deleted

deleted Visitor

While is the Show me State Once.. Missouri: I pulled up along side a field of wild hemp. Marijuana as most people know it. This Ruderal strain looks like it will blow your socks off.. Im sure many people believe this. It does not get you high.. While it may give you a smoking some hay feeling. There really is no intoxication with it...
    My friend worked for TWA airlines and shipped a few pounds of this ruderal to PA. Where everyone laughed at him......

there is a small assumption that this strain of cannabis will infect properly cultivated marijuana .. Im not to sure about that, as the other assumption is.. Cultivated marijuana will cross over and make the ruderals more potent.. Maybe yes, maybe no.. But there are places in Missouri that I seen fields of this growing beyond what the ey can see.. Thats How cannabis should grow.. Like every damn weed out there..

There certainly isnt a shortage of cops killing off marjuana plant AKA WEED..

But why is there such a shortage of Maintenance workers removing overgrown weeds from sidewalks, and places where pedestrians pass?
    Is it due to ignorance or just plane fucking lazyness>? I mean shit son its so easy to put a $1000 worth of fuel in a helicopter, fly over a spot, repel and rip them out.. Wow, Thats a lot of hard work your doing there officer dickface..
    Ever pick up a weed whacker and clear a sidewalk so people dont get hit by cars, having to step into the street to avoid Poison Ivy.. last time I checked there were numerous hospitalizations due to poison ivy, and yet not a single instance of cannabis poisoning.. :rolleyes:

Certainly most states dont have their prioritizes straight.. No leadership in public offices, or outside public offices..

IMPO ., Everyone is out for their own needs and satisfactions..

13. OhSoDreadful

Smoking pot with your kid makes you a bad parent? Oh god help me please I had such a shocking upbringing smoking pot with my mom and dad safely inside our home instead of out on the streets with random people like my highschool friends that fucked me over every chance they got.

Yeah I'll smoke weed with my kids, you can keep ignoring a problem that's going to go on forever if weed is even remotely criminal or regulated though, to each their own.

14. PB_Smith

PB_Smith Huh? What? Who, me?

Wow Heather, you got someone pissed off over one of your posts.
    They must not know you as one of the most level headed, kindest people on Hip Forums.
    It's almost like getting angry at a kitten for being soft and cuddly.

15. OhSoDreadful

Yeah, just like they don't know me well enough to tell me I'm going to be a bad parent. I'm not really pissed, I just know I'm right and I'm defending my point.

If a parent keeps weed from their kid, it makes them want it more and idolize the people that do it, leading to rebellion against their parents. I knew my dad smoked all growing up and made the decision not to do it. Then when I learned more about it I saw it wasn't so bad after all and made a responsible choice to try it and then after I tried it my dad said he'd rather I smoke it with him, he didn't hand me my first joint. Why not provide a safe environment for your kids to be themselves?

16. deleted

deleted Visitor

Honestly my parents and my best friends parent while growing up, knew we did drugs./ They also preferred we get our drugs and come home.. where we would be out of trouble..
    I remember the LSD session at my friends house. his mom was like "this is not marijuana you guys are doing" we were just LOL. then we learned to either have weed or burn something that smelled like it, cause they were cool with that.. most the time we had buds and would go sledding in the winter, his mom would make us coco? I see none the kids here sledding in the winter.. strange. Video game obsession and $150 tennis shoes I suppose contributes to that. .

17. OhSoDreadful

Exactly, these are the things we should be concerned about, the evil things we should be telling kids are bad for them.

Even more than marijuana I'm not introducing my children to technology and capitalism, but if they want to make that decision it's theirs to make.

18. Dancing til Dawn

Dancing til Dawn Senior Member

2 words

Home grown-

19. Heat

It happens from time to time. I think perhaps I need to chat some with OhSoDreadful. :)

20. Heat

Would you care to give me your definition of kid. As in what age do you consider a child to no longer be a child.

Perhaps there is simply a miscommunication regarding age appropriate between us.

Thanks. :)