Who rides motorcycles?

Discussion in 'Old Hippies' started by abudman, Aug 5, 2004.

1. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

my last one was one these ....yamaha bw200..similar to the picture

i was never into street bikes...seen to many accidents

[​IMG]?

i stick to 4 wheelers now..just for slow rides and hunting..the big wheel liked to follow ruts and was hard for me to ride..way harder than the quads

2. Crystal_Nocked

Crystal_Nocked Members

Love bikes, and have been riding off and on for about twenty years.

My current baby is a Honda Shadow ACE 1100. ACE was their American Classic Edition, since it was made in the USA at their Marysville, Ohio plant. It's also Honda's Harley knockoff, and looks and sounds like one. People always mistake it for one.

I tell them it's a "running Harley!" LOL. More reliable and way less maintenance. Doesn't leak oil like some of those HDs. It's also my fourth street bike, and the fastest one I've ever had.

OrleansWordsmith likes this.
  3. Crystal_Nocked

Crystal_Nocked Members

Are you aware there are actually more dirt bike and MX accidents requiring ER visits every year than there are involving street bikes?

Just saying.

4. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

could be..but ive never randomly come across people hurt on dirt bikes

5. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I knew someone who hit a tree and his leg went through the front forks of the bike. Twisted and mangled. 15 years old he'd never walk properly again.

6. Crystal_Nocked

Crystal_Nocked Members

I get your point. And yeah, there might be more mishaps on dirt bikes but the death rate is higher on Street bikes.

As a street bike rider I just had to get my two cents in. LOL. But sure, your chances of being slammed by a car are obviously much lower off road!

7. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

And Street bike riders are never in the wrong and do all the correct things... :unsure:

8. Scratched

Scratched Members

9. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

TrudginAcrossTheTundra Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Old hippies riding... too cool! I'm still riding dirt and street in my sixties, what a blessing! And if that's not enough, I can still school a few younger riders. I know I'm kinda riding on borrowed time, but on the flip side I think it helps me stay sane and healthy. My dirt rides are a very intense form of physical exercise. Dirt and street are both mentally challenging. I'm slower and more cautious than ever, but we ain't exactly puttin' along taking in the sights while rolling if you know what I mean. Will I die or get maimed in an accident? Hope not! I mean the goal is to avoid that. I believe dying fast in a motorcycle accident would beat slowly wasting away with some disease, though -- which I feel is more likely to occur if I give up activities such as riding (hiking, skiing, bicycling, etc, also).

OrleansWordsmith likes this.
  10. OrleansWordsmith

OrleansWordsmith Moderate anarchist

Bikes are sexy... Rode along on fatboy low... first Harley ride. Nice bike. I say as long as you stay strong, fit, most folks can do cycling. Think there should be cycling "school" and roll bars on street bikes a necessity to prevent crushes.. Get into enough trouble getting knocked off or falling off a bike in an accident caused by you or car/bike hit. Dirt is tough, but certainly exciting to watch... Used to watch a lot of it when my satellite had the Fuse network and I could see surfing, biking boarding extreme-er sports. Miss that channel...

11. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

There is! MSF (the Motorcycle Safety Foundation) has classes. Beginner for new riders to get their license is real popular, inexpensive, and they provide the bikes! Three days worth and those who pass simply walk into the DMV with their card and they add the m/c endorsement. Few years ago, I took the "advanced" class and the instructor asked me how I make it look so easy. Because it was, perhaps? I expected more from that class. It's probably about right for someone who's been riding for a year maybe.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  12. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Well, since I last posted in this thread I sold both my bikes, so I don't ride nothing no more.

But since someone brought up dirt bikes, here's a picture of my first bike, a 1969 Ossa Pioneer Enduro.
    [​IMG]
    Very rare bike now. Wish I still had it. It was state of the art in '69, the Japanese had nothing like it.
    Four speed, upside down shifter, solid state ignition, fiberglass body, 2 cycle with no valves.
    Notice the detachable chrome muffler. You could take it off and hang it upside down for off road use. Then you ran straight expansion chamber, very loud. I destroyed my muffler in about two weeks from assorted wrecks and never replaced it.
    Here's a '71.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
  13. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

Don't Ride Anymore But I Still Have My Much Loved "Kawasaki 900 Z1-B"....In Storage......Will Sell

It One Day I Guess But The Money Would Have To Be Good......Has Colour Matched "Stone" Fairing

Flat Bars......Set Backs....."Lester Mags" Which I Had Imported From America......4 Into 1 Exhaust....Gauges.....

"Koni" Shocks......AND......Twin, Twin Throat 40mm Delorto Carbies....:screamcat:...Fed By A High Volume

Electric Fuel Pump......:screamcat:.......Only Has About 25,000 km's On The Clock......:smilecat:

Cheers Glen.

MeAgain likes this.
  14. Candybuttons

Candybuttons Sweet Member

I have been riding dirt bikes since I was a toddler. Totally love it!
    I sold my bike a few years ago.

15. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

Suzuki Hayabusa & Suzuki M109R.

jmadre likes this.
  16. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Brrrr
    Brrrrrrrr
    Brrr
    BRRRR BRRRR BRRRRRRRR
    brrrrrreeehehhhhhhh
    BreeeeeEEEHHHHHHH

17. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

Cold?

18. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

That's the sound of a dirt bike :D
    The fucking worst sound in the history of camping.

MeAgain likes this.
  19. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

Sweet bike, man! Bet it really ripped in its time. My first was a new '70 trail boss. A friend picked up a Montesa 250 in our early teens which was pretty sweet. But most of us kids had Japanese two strokes. I wasn't gentle with mine...
    I've not been without a bike since. There's a dozen or maybe fifteen of the things around here now. I'm riding a modern two-stroke in the dirt now, ktm300. The advances are amazing. It can produce something like 50hp while maintaining powerful low end torque. And the suspension... things have come a long way.

If you want to see old bikes in action, visit Cuba. I think I saw Ossa there but not sure. Plenty of old esoteric brands though, such as MZ and Jawa that I recall in particular. Really solid old bikes which they've cared for and have kept going for half a century. Some look barely used.

20. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

Or the sweetest, if you're piloting the thing! ;)

PS: there's an abundance of places where camping is allowed but dirt biking isn't. Why would anyone go camping where dirt bikes are allowed and then bitch about it? :(
    That's something I might expect to find as an example in a dictionary under the definition of the word 'lame'.

Last edited: May 17, 2018