Who partakes in a spot of Knitting?

Discussion in 'Dreadlocks' started by Mabster, Jan 25, 2009.

1. Mabster

Mabster Member

Figured I'd stick this post here as I am intrigued as to what dreadies knit. Please feel free to move it if its no welcome :)

So, Shetland is famous for it's fair isle knitting...
    It' still taught to primary kids :D

I haven't knitted in years, learnt to purl tonight and have made a bracelet :D

Currently trying to knit a tiny tube bracelet with two double ended needles. Giving myself half an hour...

ZZZ

2. legal_rasta

legal_rasta Member

I want to learn how to knit but I dont know how, I bought some little kids how to knit book. It was basically useless because it doesnt tell you what to do for projects it just says how to make a knot or what ever....

oh yeah, and I dont have dreads but im working on it......

3. Mabster

Mabster Member

I can't really call mine dreads either...
    Week old... de banded, de waxing... fluffy mess on the back now :) But it' a journey.
    Knitting is very much like didgeridoo playing.. well sort oo... The basics are so easy but then the complicated stuff gets really confusing fast"!! But it's all practice.

Some great video's on youtube, e how etc...
    Going to knit myself a hat next weekend.
    I'm thinking of croqueting a scarf for my fiancee's 18th =]

4. mandyland

mandyland Senior Member

Ive been trying to make the same damn hat for about 6 months now! lol. Yeah...Im not very good at it. My knitting skills are self taught and I dont have tons of time to sit and knit, so I guess due to lack of time I havnt been able to get real good at it yet. Id like too though...maybe once I finish school.

5. Dragonvine

Dragonvine I do Glass

I do know how to knit, but I get stuck on projects :D I don't really have the patience to sit and making anything xD I have a large bag of 3 projects back home, never really get round to finishing them :(

Lol maybe my new found patience for my dreads will help me learn patience for knitting... Or vice versa ^^

6. natural philosophy

natural philosophy bitchass sexual chocolate

im a crocheter. i make and sell hats/tams.

never picked up a knitting needle tho

7. Mabster

Mabster Member

Crocheting looks pretty funky. The end results are awesome.
    Not looked into how to do it but maybe the morn.
    Knitted a bracelet earlier on.
    6 Wide. Knit two rows, Purl two... so on and so forth.. then stitched together with crochet tool. It nice and stretchy :D

Current bracelet with the two double ended needles is looking aherm... intersting.. seems i must have it in the same orientation to form a tube.. I'll finish it and then hope the next one comes out better.

8. legal_rasta

legal_rasta Member

whats the difference between knitting and crocheting? Dont they make the same stuff? How are tams made?

9. zilla939

zilla939 Thought Police Lifetime Supporter

in the future i would like to learn to knit/crochet. if i can afford to get some supplies i will bring them with me across the country when i hit the road and teach myself. right now i make jewelry. i usually use stones and gems with silk thread, chain, or hemp.

10. natural philosophy

knitting is done with two needles, crocheting is done with one hook. you can do a lot more with crocheting. it's more versatile

have a beer :cheers2:

11. Mabster

Mabster Member

I'm going to buy some crocheting shiz the morn =]

12. oshinn

oshinn Member

i crochet! i also knit but i've no patience for it. i'm really bad with circular needles which is what is easiest for tams. i'm TRYING to make one right now but it'll probably be done next year. crocheting is easy and fast and looks good :)

same on the developing-dreadlocks front too.

13. Mabster

Mabster Member

Ended up buying two things of this lovely hand spun/dyed wool that I shall nit into a scarf :)
    Size 10 or is it 12 needles I got?
    Who knows...

Crocheting sounds fantastic!
    Checing out youtube :)

Tried pm'ing you Oshinn regarding your tams. They look fantastic and modelled so very nicely :)
    Are there any good resources out there for virgin crocheters?

Knitted myself a bracelet today on the way to the woodland we're working at,. Figured it out now. Taes no time at all!!

x

14. Mabster

Mabster Member

Well that's the first coil gone! Looks like I'm going to need another one. I hope three will do... Infact.. i hope there are more of the same style... Arghhh
    Its looking fantatic though!!!So soft, so chunky.. Mmmm

15. oshinn

oshinn Member

i bought $56 of yarn saturday. finally i will have more hats to put online. mabster, my etsy site is my homepage on my profile here.

as far as resources for virgin crocheters... hmm... i can't remember if i can post links here or not so let me know if i can't, but http://learntocrochet.lionbrand.com/ is a relatively good site. i learned from my mom's alkie neigbour oddly enough and have just been following patterns, asking my mom, etc.

if you google particular stitches you can usually find videos, that's helped me a lot.

16. natural philosophy

youtube is great for learning crochet