Who likes being addicted?

Discussion in 'Psychedelics' started by Codmouse, Jul 11, 2009.

1. DeadHead723

DeadHead723 Senior Member

i split a g of yay with a friend lol. heroin no way.

im feelin great now but ill be on the boards later to strike another fight.

nah jk lol. im tired of that shit:D

peace out:piggy:

2. Codmouse

Codmouse Senior Member

I thought you got some heroin :/

3. wakeboartd00d!

wakeboartd00d! Member

Codmouse I'm gonna call you out on one of your earlier posts. its not an addiction if you can stop it at will. just saying.

4. PeaceInTheStreets

PeaceInTheStreets Member

You say you like being addicted while your NOT addicted but would you be saying this if you WERE addicted to something currently?

5. wakeboartd00d!

wakeboartd00d! Member

he thinks he's been addicted when he really hasn't is what I think is going down.

6. hawaiiankine

hawaiiankine Senior Member

I'm addicted to oxygen. :D I just can't stop breathing!

7. sw0o0sh

sw0o0sh Banned

Man I feel you bro I fell on that path 18 years ago.. And I just can't get OFF
    :cheers2:

8. sw0o0sh

sw0o0sh Banned

So then why would you ask who Likes being addicted lol? even what you listed doesn't really classify a genuine addiction. Sounds like what comes with Pot use.

When people are addicted, they generally don't like the Jonsing, that soul tearing want of the drug, the feelings of absolute worthlessness of wanting nothing more than a drug to cure their problems, or their soberness for that matter. Not to mention a sickness that comes that makes having the Flu look like a common cold. How could they ever legitly come to terms with something that splits them in two and makes them feel like that?

I mean I guess some people come to terms with their addiction and don't mind it. Some alcoholics for example. Some people amazingly don't have a sense of guilt. But there comes a point with certain drugs where the psychological aspect doesn't matter - it's the physical dependency that fucks em over big time.

9. Happiness4Dogs

Happiness4Dogs Member

Codmouse I understand what you are saying man, though I do not like it. I had a friend who loved his heroin addiction: the lifestyle it brought, the great highs and horrible lows, the fucked up experiences. TBH I also like the idea of lookingg forward to something at the end of the day, something dependable, however I do not like the fact that I can't go a day without it. I wish instead I still had all the same drugs and experiences without the mental addiction. Not knowing what to do without drugs is a bad place and although you may like it now, you miss out on the best highs of life: love, friendship, success, a good book or movie because you are too busy thinking about how much better it would be high or when you are going to get your next fix. Believe me addiction sucks!

10. FreshDacre

FreshDacre Senior Member

Ok i guess theres no such thing as addiction that doesn't have to do with drugs?? Wtf. Ya the most serious addictions are from drugs, because they can have physical withdrawls. However, there is so many different types and levels of addiction amd people don't seem to understand drug addiction is not the only kind.

11. Codmouse

Codmouse Senior Member

I have been addicted before. I know what it was like then. Its not something you forget easily.

I defined what an addict is in post #30 of this thread. In no part does it say that you can not stop. Addicts stop all the time. When you are addicted, you know it. Its not something that is a maybe. You can feel it. Your friends and family tell you about it.

Maybe this is all just a difference in what peoples image of an addict is? Most of you that are calling me out are talking about a hard core heroin/opiate addiction. Those can be more intense than others, but those can be stopped too. That is just one type of addiction though. If you view it the way most of you do, then you bet your bottom dollar that you wouldn't be able to stop or quit. The mind is a powerful thing. If you view addiction as such an impossible thing, then it will be impossible for you.

Fresh and happiness are spot on. It can suck really bad for sure! But they are understanding what I am talking about. Like I said though, it all comes to how you interpret addiction and addict. I like to use the dictionary :p

12. force_of_acid

force_of_acid Member

Dude what are you talking :confused:

What you were using in periods of your strongest addiction and how much and how long?

13. shermin

shermin Bazooka Tooth

seriously...why hasn't this thread died yet?

14. Codmouse

Codmouse Senior Member

Lol. I was thinking the same thing a while ago... I feel obligated to post back when people have questions though.

force of acid, is my statement unclear to you? Makes sense to me even if I didn't agree with it.

I have been addicted to oxy for a pretty short time, maybe 2 months of addiction. Meth for almost a year. Alcohol for more than 2 years. Cigarettes for about 5. Computers for about 8. :D

Those are the things that I considered real addictions. The oxy use was short because thats how long I think I was addicted. I used it for more than 6 months though. The physical addiction only lasted for 2 months because the second I started feeling negative withdraws I started to stop. Maybe everyone is talking about how bad opiate addiction is and I just haven't had a major opiate addiction. I consider other things addiction too though. Not just drugs. According to the definition it can apply to anything.

Though, I think it is interesting that the worst addiction for me by far was my addiction to using the computer. That made me unhealthy and totally fucked my marriage. I ate horrible if at all and usually used drugs while using it. It was my life. I liked to get on the comp. more than I liked to hang out with friends. More than I liked to do stuff with my wife. If I was doing stuff with other people or without the computer, I would think about how I would probably know if I had a computer (like if there was something I didn't know, e.g. average life of a cat). This drove me crazy and I always wanted to be on the computer. It interfered with my sleeping schedule. It made me miss a whole lot about life that I am not realizing (I am not a nerd, I just mean things that mean a lot to me now).

It is substantially easier for me to quit something I know is bad for me. Meth was the easiest. The reason computers was so bad is because I didn't realize that it was fucking with me as a person. It didn't seem unhealthy or bad, so I just ignored my wife telling me that I was a drag. Sounds stupid I know, but it was serious; especially for my marriage.

I know someone is going to talk shit about what I said. I don't care though. That is what addiction is for me. I have had friends and family addicted pretty seriously too, so I know about it from that perspective too. Maybe what makes it worse is that I knew the people pretty well and could tell they were just being weak. :/

I dunno... This is all about how people interpret what addiction is though so... :D

15. FreshDacre

FreshDacre Senior Member

Yeah my most hardcore addiction was weed and video games as a combonation. Weed by itself felt pointless, videogames felt pointless, but together it was heaven. This went on for about 3-5 years. My second biggest addiction was alcohol, when i first started drinking when i was 11 i decided that it made every activity better, so i kept doing that alot for a few months until i had 20 shots of 80 proof and learnt my lesson.

16. shermin

shermin Bazooka Tooth

yea, oxy withdrawals are BRUTAL if you've been on it for a few months.

i was doing at least 80 mg [usually 120-160] a day for months, and had been doing it off and on for a year or 2 until i finally stopped. i wasn't normal again for a few months even though the physical withdrawal was over in a week. i had appetite suppression for another few weeks, and brutal anxiety for about 3 months. I'm very happy that i'm off of opiates; opiates fucked my life up, and i'm happier without them.

the bottom line:
    being addicted to oxycontin was the worst experience of my life.

17. liquidacrobat

liquidacrobat Member

Thanks, Codmouse, for what seems to me to be (in most cases) a pretty serious discussion that goes beyond the usual addiction discussions, or maybe more accurately, the usual diatribes. It’s not as simple as many would have us think.

My sense and experience point to spiritual needs as hope, meaning, relatedness (especially to God or higher being or something), forgiveness or acceptance, and transcendence. Those fit pretty well with how people get to addictions or dependence or whatever we might call it.

I’m reflecting on these things as I just learned that my brother has taken yet another step in the process, steps that included cigarettes, alcohol, heroin, cocaine, meth, incarceration, and now, predictably, HIV infection. His trajectory has been more extreme than many others, but it’s all fairly similar – and for those with hyper-strong compulsions, in the end, really sad. His wife will get her test results tomorrow.

If you read even the slightest judgment in this then you’re misreading or I’m mis-writing. What I’m trying to say is that to me, it seems like you’ve put some thought into these things and started a thoughtful thread. I appreciate it.

18. NNDimethyltryptaDream

NNDimethyltryptaDream Member

I agree as I was in a similar situation... I just dont see how someone can describe being utterly dependent on a substance as fun, unless perhaps somehow they have a constant fix and or are completely blind to their world probibly crumbling around them

19. dpatt

dpatt Guest

i like being addicted. i think every addict does. that's why they stay addicts.. while they're addicted. that's the core of why addiction seems unbeatable.

for example, every day youre an opiate addict is a pleasant day (as long as you have your fix). in the natural world we have good days and bad days. addicts forget this balance and how to deal with it when they come off dope.

addicts love being addicts. the problem is addicts hate not being addicts anymore when they really know it's time to stop.

20. agro87

agro87 Member

Yea I know what you mean. It's always comforting to know you have something that you can depend on.