Who is your "Mount Rushmore" of actors?

Discussion in 'Movie Stars' started by Song of the South, Apr 9, 2018.

1. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Arnie Predator
    Arnie Commando
    Arnie Terminator
    & Arnie.. TERMINATOR 2

2. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Natalie Wood, perhaps. I always liked her films....and they have been advertising a documentary coming on TV soon about what really happened to her......and there were bruise marks around her neck, so someone probably killed her, so I will say her for now....as she has been on my mind recently.

3. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Seriously, how many Meryl Streep movies have you watched? The most overated actor ever

You said Cher kind of jokingly, I've probably watched more Cher movies than Streep ones

Meliai likes this.
  4. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

My Pick for the ladies:

Geena Davis - The Long kiss goodnight has been one of my favourites for a long time
    Amanda Tapping - that choice is so nerdy its sad
    Natalie Portman
    Kristen Stewart - yes, I loved Twilight, also very lame

Song of the South likes this.
  5. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I like Buscemi a lot. And can easily go along with Hanks and Nicholson. My 4th will be Eastwood, solely for the italian Dollar trilogy which remains to be a highlight for me in the world of movies

edit: i don't mind switching Hanks with Harrison Ford :-D i just appear to have a soft spot for that actor (and a lot of his roles)

6. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Oh, I forgot - William H Macy

And his Fargo costar Frances Mcdormand for the ladies

Noserider and Song of the South like this.
  7. Song of the South

Song of the South Members

Oh, I wasn't joking about Cher! I think she is highly underrated as an actress.

As for Meryl, it is easy to claim she is overrated as an actress considering that her 21 Oscar nominations far surpass any actor, living or dead, and she probably didn't deserve over half those and got them on name only. BUT, there doesn't seem to be much dispute that she is one of the all-time greats in the field of acting, and it isn't much of a stretch to place her on the Mount Rushmore of actresses. She isn't one of my top 4 favorites, far from it. But for the purpose of my list I placed her there on talent. Also, it seems that it would be difficult for you to call her the most overrated actor of all time when you go on to concede that you haven't seen much of her work.

I suppose she is rare in that I probably think she is overrated, especially lately, but still one of the best at her craft. I have seen 14 of the 21 films for which she has been nominated for the Academy Award. Some were incredible performances (Sophie's Choice, The Deer Hunter, Doubt, August: Osage County), and some were just decent to me that any good actress could have played (The Devil Wears Prada, The Post). She often isn't particularly likable either, and I think that hurts her perception but really shouldn't be used to judge her acting ability. Not saying that is what you are doing, just making an observation :blush:.

As for my guy list, I admit that I put Daniel Day-Lewis completely on reputation. It seems ALL the experts agree that he is one of the greatest actors of all time. I don't get it (kind of like you with Streep, I guess). I thought he was great in Lincoln and My Left Foot and ... that's it for me, lol. Personally, there are probably 50 actors I could name whom I think are better. But I know that I am far in the minority there, so for my "best 4," I conceded and put him.

As for Clint, I haven't seen a lot of his older acting roles, but I enjoy him as an actor. And if there was a Mount Rushmore of directors, he would easily top my list. He is an incredible director who gets the most out of his actors in every movie he directs. From Unforgiven on up, he is the master at film direction.

Eric! likes this.
  8. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

Oooh...yes. The whole cast of that movie.

9. Song of the South

I literally had Frances McDormand and replaced her with Jennifer Lawrence. I'm kind of wondering why I did that, lol

10. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Always found her performance as a pregnant police officer excellent! Really looking forward to seeing that 3 Billboards movie partly because of her

Song of the South and scratcho like this.
  11. Song of the South

She is AWESOME in that movie, as is Sam Rockwell.

12. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Bogart
    Fonda
    Cooper
    Peck
    Hackman
    Hanks
    Oldman
    Brennan (Walter)
    Hundreds of character actors from the 30s, 40s, 50s.

Spectacles likes this.
  13. Song of the South

I put a lot of thought into my choices before starting this thread and really regret leaving Tom Hanks off. So I had the guy who chiseled the mountain redo Daniel Day-Lewis's face to make it look like Tom Hanks :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Meliai likes this.
  14. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Charlize Theron gave a performance for the ages in MONSTER, about Aileen Wuornos.
    McDormand
    Streep
    Thurman
    Portman-(Winters Bone)
    West (Mae)

15. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

Jennifer Lawrence is actually great but she picks bad scripts, sometimes. You can be an amazing actor but if the plot or script sucks, it will hurt how people see you.

Eric! and Song of the South like this.
  16. Song of the South

Have you seen Winter's Bone? I believe that was her first role (at least leading role). She is just flat out incredible in that movie.

As far as scripts go, I totally know what you mean. I really wanted to put Morgan Freeman on my list, but didn't for that very reason. He has given some phenomenal performances, but really just seems to be mailing it in and picking up a paycheck in others.

I agree with you in regards to Jennifer. In retrospect, I never should have mounted her. On Rushmore I mean; otherwise, sure :tonguewink::tearsofjoy:

Deidre likes this.
  17. Eric!

Eric! Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I like Cher:D

18. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

knf4g1t.jpg

Irminsul and Deidre like this.
  19. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

20. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape