Who is superior ?

Discussion in 'Hinduism' started by Hari, Apr 19, 2007.

1. niranjan

niranjan Member

Why don't you check out my thread on " The avatars of Vishnu ,Darwinism and evolution."

You can also do well to study what Carl Jung has to say about the Indian myths.

2. snake sedrick

snake sedrick Banned

I've read both your post and much of Jung's writing. I fail to see once again what you are seeking to communicate here, as it has no bearing on the origins of the Puranas.

3. niranjan

niranjan Member

The dashavataras are part of the puranas .

And Jung clearly talks about the hindu gods as being aspects of the human psyche.

Carl Jung also says that 1 in 10 people in the western world will have a pyschotic break at some point in life and drown in the waters of the subconscious. In the east, the yogis and such swim in the same waters that they in the west drown in.

4. snake sedrick

snake sedrick Banned

We've been here before. And I have pointed out Jung's statement concerning the unsuitability of eastern systems for westerners.

5. niranjan

niranjan Member

And in which Jung made an obvious mistake, considering the popularity of Zen, Hinduism, Buddhism , Yoga and meditation in the west.

David Frawley, Margaret Noble, J.Donald Walters, Aldous Huxley, Christopher Isherwood, and many other westerners have practiced Hinduism and gained from it.

And I know very well how many buddhists are there in the west.

6. snake sedrick

snake sedrick Banned

The results are not always very positive. I know a number of ex iskcon people who are in a real mess because of it all.

Huxley got his realization from taking mescaline and LSD. Isherwood left his guru to return to his gay lover.....

How many Buddhas there are in the west is the real question.

I'm not really sure Jung was wrong, and I base that on my own experience. It depends how far one goes in abandoning one's own cultural roots, and what one really is inside.
    A certain amount of eastern practice ca be integrated, but that's about as far as I think you can go.

7. niranjan

niranjan Member

And there are also a large number of Iskcon devotees in the west who are happy and contented, and I have seen them in India as well.
    From the wikipedia....

During the 1950s, Huxley's interest in the field of psychical research grew keener and his later works are strongly influenced by both mysticism and his experiences with the psychedelic drug mescaline, to which he was introduced by the psychiatrist Humphry Osmond in 1953. Indeed Huxley was a pioneer of self-directed psychedelic drug use "in a search for enlightenment", famously taking 100 micrograms of LSD as he lay dying. His psychedelic drug experiences are described in the essays The Doors of Perception (the title deriving from some lines in the book The Marriage of Heaven and Hell by William Blake) and Heaven and Hell.

You can see that Huxley was introduced to drugs by a psychiatrist himself.Also knowing Huxley's intellectual nature, if he had the hindsight of scientific research on the danger of drugs, he would not have used them. You can see clearly from the above stuff that he was consciously experimenting with it and finding out for himself, whether it is useful.

Anyway all intoxicants including drugs are condemned in yoga , hinduism and buddhism and the dharmic religions, as it destroys the discriminative powers which are very important for spiritual progress.

And you can not get any realization through drugs, and that is a fact.

So are you saying that there is something wrong with gay lovers.Anyway he had a gay lover from the very beginning itself and he had embraced Hinduism.

To attain enlightenment requires a lot of character . It will take time. However I know of many buddhists in the west who indeed have a good character and are noble.

There are many westerners who have embraced hinduism, buddhism and sikhism and are very spiritual people and I myself have seen them.And I have also seen westerners who have embraced hindu culture completely.It is a fact.

And as I said in a previous post, there is no need to abandon one's own cultural roots, there is no need for it.Assimilate what is good in Hinduism and Buddhism and the dharmic religions, while at the same time maintaining your charecterestic individuality.

Sree Narayana Guru , the hindu enlightened master of south India had an english disciple. He told him there was no need to change his name or clothing while practicing hinduism.