Who is superior ?

Discussion in 'Hinduism' started by Hari, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Brother Joseph

Brother Joseph Member

According to tradition, Vyasadeva. Depending on which tradition, Vyasadeva was either a self-realized sage or a direct incarnation of Krishna.

Srila Prabhupada's version was his own translation and commentary.

2. Bhaskar

Bhaskar Members

You refer to Veda Vyasa rishi, an amsavatar of Mahavishnu. The same Vyasa is credited by tradition as the author of the Upanishads, all puranas (Including Shiva Purana, Matsya Purana, etc), Devi Bhagavatam (which Veda Vyasa himself elevates to the status of mahapurana, equivalent to Bhagavatam), Adhyatma Ramayana, Brahma sutras and countless others.

3. Hari

Hari Art thou Art

Yes,,, he was all of that and more.

The Bhagavatam was written because of Narada Muni's suggestion, because Vyasa was feeling depressed andsensing that somehow something was missing, and in the Bhgavatam he expanded more on the adventures of Krishna, or included more details about Krishna's life in general.

He who reads these stories with love and devotion, receives many blessing and can return back to Godhead.

4. Bhaskar

Bhaskar Members

It was not a sense that the teaching was incomplete, it was that his own life's work was not done. That does not make any of the other scriptures less important or incomplete. Even the bhagavatam says it contains nothing but the essence of the vedas.

5. Hari

Hari Art thou Art

As I understood it, Vyasa had ommited details about Krishna's life, his childhood passtimes, his many wars, his wives, his family his friends.

In the tenth canto you get Krishnas' life from birth to death, while if you read the Mahabarata you will not get that much, in fact he is like an extra in that story (almost) and the many warriors like Arjuna take central positions..."Mahabarata" is the name of the land that used to be India which at the time was practically the whole world.

Vyasa himself was an incarnation and he came to do what would've been impossible for an ordinary human being to do; yes, the overwhelming task like compiling all scriptures known at the time, and extracting their pure essence; taking the cream and leaving the water, like the swans.

The fact that he found himself despondent and incomplete is just another passstime of God, where he plays an ordinary human being as an actor plays a role on a stage.

As we like to read literature about great personages and stories of courage and wealth and beauty with adventure, no matter who is the protagonist, the Bhagavatam offers that but with God as the main central character.

But most importantly the task was also to emphasize the value of complete scripture, and overall, to have a scripture that just by reading it alone, anyone would be qualified regardless of position or caste, to return back to the original kingdom of God, and stop the cycle of birth and death.

This process would eliminate the nessesity for any other methods; and this is what Krishna teaches Arjuna in the famous Battle of Kuruksetra.

Vyasa played the part of a human being and Narada Muni the immortal traveller-teacher, his guru. This process of guru-disciple is the most important point in all vedic culture. Even God himself if playing a human being accepts a teacher and guru.

In Christianity this was illustrated by Jesus accepting baptism from the son of a priest known by the name of John the baptist.

The Bhagavatam is everyone's guru, in that by reading it alone, one is purified and blessed. This was done as it was because in this age of Kali people's lives are too short, and the long processes by which people attained enlightment in other ages, would not be effective and is not recommended by any lenght.

During the different ages there were different methods recommended and in this age according to Chaitanya Mahprabu's opinion, is the chanting of the Mahamantra, associating with other devotees and reading the Bhagavatam.

6. snake sedrick

snake sedrick Banned

Actually, it's not my guru.

7. niranjan

niranjan Member

We are not imposing the Bhagavatam on anyone. If you want you can accept the knowledge and wisdom in it, and if you don't want to , forget it.

However we maintain that the Bhagavatam is the heritage of all humanity, and anyone can use it for their betterment and good.

8. Hari

Hari Art thou Art

Its your loss, not mine.

9. Ruberx Omati

Ruberx Omati The Truth

Brahma, he's the destroyer of worlds!

10. Hari

Hari Art thou Art

Ajem..that would be Shiva.. Brahma is the creator.

11. snake sedrick

snake sedrick Banned

Time will tell.

12. Hari

Hari Art thou Art

Krishna is time so yes,,,I agree.

13. SvgGrdnBeauty

SvgGrdnBeauty only connect

Its all one...the details don't matter much.

14. snake sedrick

snake sedrick Banned

A good example of why myth of this sort won't do. In other systems time is seen differently. For instance, the Greeks called time Kronos, the Romans Saturn. Why should we believe one set of myths over another?

15. niranjan

niranjan Member

And why not ?

Krishna himself states : 'Whosoever comes to Me,through whatsoever form, I reach him; all men are struggling through paths which in the end lead to Me.'

Hence Kronos and Saturn are just other names for Krishna.

16. snake sedrick

snake sedrick Banned

Or is Krishna a name for Kronos? Either way swallowing his own children isn't something I've come across as attributed to Krishna.

It's simply cultural prejudice to believe in one set of myths over another. Just because the myth says it's true doesn't mean a thing.
    The christian fundie who believes in the litetal truth of the bible would use the same argument you use here.

17. themnax

themnax Senior Member

no one is superior to anyone. god or gods are just enough bigger then anyone else not to argue with.

to avoid causing suffering is certainly superior to trying to impress anyone though.

=^^=
    .../\...

18. niranjan

niranjan Member

Maybe so.

I don't much about Kronos to comment on it. However I believe that every legend has its factual basis. And through the years, superstitions must have piled up with the actual stories of these supermen . You must logically eradicate the superstitions and see only the facts, which is rational.

And what is illogical in what Krishna has stated. God indeed is everywhere and everything.

You yourself are He.

Check out the Upanishadic verse : 'Aham Bhramasmi' -- I am He.

19. snake sedrick

snake sedrick Banned

If you eradicate superstition it would mean seeing clearly the fact that the traditions around the Puranas are incorrect and that they come from the middle ages.

I doubt very much that many myths have any basis in fact, other than on an obscure psychological level. They are mainly a product of imagination, often combined with crude attempts at social engineering. Also primitive, pre-scientific efforts to explain the origin of life etc, but all based unfortunately on insufficient data.

I didn't say that Krishna's words are 'illogical' - stories of unicorns are logical too.

20. philuk

philuk Member

:party: