Who is really teaching our Children

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Toecutter, Sep 13, 2021.

1. Toecutter

Toecutter Senior Member

After reading the thread “ Republicans are ruining American education”

I didn’t agree, I have family and friends that are school teachers, and I believe that all of them are Democrats
    All with a possible one Republican, he teaches at a very large city school and carries a handgun regularly.

Democratic professors outnumber Republican ones by 9 to 1 ratio, according to new data | The College Fix

Profs donating to Democratic candidates outnumbered those giving to Republicans by 95 to 1 ratio

Democrats outnumber Republicans by a ratio of nearly 9 to 1 among college professors, according to new statisticspublished by Brooklyn College Associate Professor of Business Management Mitchell Langbert and Heterodox Academy Director of Research Sean Stevens.

2. Toecutter

Toecutter Senior Member

Oregon governor signs bill ending reading and math proficiency requirements for graduation

Oregon Gov. Kate Brown privately signed a bill last month ending the requirement for high school students to prove proficiency in reading, writing, and arithmetic before graduation.

Brown, a Democrat, did not hold a public signing or issue a press release regarding the passing of Senate Bill 744 on July 14, and the measure, which was approved by lawmakers in June, was not added into the state's legislative database until more than two weeks later on July 29, an unusually quiet approach to enacting legislation, according tothe Oregonian.

3. ~Zen~

~Zen~ Ancient Mariner Administrator

Another example of massive disinformation.

That thread is confusing as it veers off topic a few times... and I do not place much faith in polls or surveys. Having worked with polltakers and marketers I understand how asking the questions in certain ways influences the answers, which may not represent the respondents true feeling if thought out carefully.

I do believe the era of mass education with everyone attending prison camps has to end.

It is time to utilize technology and move education in other directions.

erofant likes this.
  4. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

Regardless of political orientation, most people going into teaching today are a group of overgrown students without a scrap of experience in everyday life or working in the real world.
    Their answer to most problems is simply, "Look them up on Google".

I recently chatted to a student who had completed his PhD on twin electron fluorescence. It sounds complicated, but he told me nothing that I did not learn in primary school.

During my school days, regular teachers were either lost in WW2, or working to rebuild the country. As a result, I was taught by mostly retired people who had a lifetime of experience in their subjects from working in the real world.
    That is no doubt what made me the person who I am today.

If you have any doubts about what I am saying, find a group of music teachers and ask them a simple question, such as, "In what city was the main action of Puccini's opera Turandot set".
    Let me know if even one of them knew that Turandot is a Chinese love poem.
    Needless to say, you will need to keep them away from Google. :D:D:D

Toecutter likes this.
  5. Toecutter

Toecutter Senior Member

It’s the way society is today, anything that one would like to know is at your fingertips, the cellphone has virtually ended the need to know/remember things, each day we are loosing the wonderful people that would remember a birthday, anniversary, with out a electronic device.

Our phones/Alexia will remind you to water the plants,

Tishomingo likes this.
  6. Piney

Piney Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Just who is teaching our children becomes a little less important with concerned parents involved.

I would like to see School Board elections held at the same time as other elections so more people will vote.

Isolating School Board elections makes for an insiders game.

7. Tishomingo

Tishomingo Members

After reading the thread “ Republicans are ruining American education”

I didn’t agree, I have family and friends that are school teachers, and I believe that all of them are Democrats [/QUOTE] Are they bad teachers? I think the thread you're talking about was referring to legislators like the ones in my state Oklahoma, mostly Republican, who refuse to provide funds for teachers and schools. I suspect part of this is a belief that the public schools shouldn't exist; that private , especially religious, is much better. These legislators are themselves examples of poorly educated people, so it becomes a vicious circle. [/QUOTE

Professors, od course, would be teaching at the college level, so those would be the institutions impacted, if at all. It varies from one departrment to another. In engineering, business, and the hard sciences, the tendency is more Republican.

8. Tishomingo

Tishomingo Members

The challenge, though, is to ask the right questions. Without college political science and history courses under my belt, I don't think I'd have a clue.

erofant likes this.
  9. Tishomingo

Tishomingo Members

I find it particularly disturbing that staes are giving up requirements for civics, history, and American government, which I think are necessary to function as responsible citizens.

erofant likes this.
  10. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

My late mother (born in 1903) was one of the 3,000 people who went to work every morning to calculate the interest on everyone's post office savings accounts. the interest was calculated monthly on the lowest balance for the month and added to the capital at the end of the financial year. Although she would 'jot down' the monthly accrued interest, everything else was done mentally without any forms of calculators. Some post office books were not sent in for years and money was in and out every few days. When finished, the results were verified against the ledger. Rows of filing cabinets that would cover a football pitch The ledger consisted of literally millions of slips filled in and sent to the head office by the post office clerk every time you visited the post office to deposit or withdraw money. Once the book and the slips correlated, they were microfilmed and incinerated.
    In the early 70's, the process was computerised and more than 3,000 staff were replaced by 19 people.

When she was 94, my mother took her trolley of food to the checkout at the supermarket (Long before the days of bar codes) When the girl gave her the total, my mother said "sorry my dear, you are wrong". You can only imagine how flustered the girl was when she added everything up again and got a higher total. When she started apologising, my mother suddenly said. "You got it right this time". She had made the poor girl add everything up again because she had tried to UNDERCHARGE her 2p

Jane, who runs the UK government payroll, was amazed that my mother could add up the departmental totals for her in her head, in less than half the time that Jane could do them with a calculator.

My mother worked most of her years prior to decimalisation, when their were 12 pence to the shilling and 20 shillings to the pound. To make things even more complicated, we had guineas (one pound, one shilling) and half crowns (two shillings and six pence)
    It is virtually impossible to program a computer to do complex calculations in this format, but mentally it is easier. Just don't ask me how, or I will be here all night.

Clue, Their were 12 pence in a shilling and their are 12 months in a year. :).

Toecutter and ~Zen~ like this.
  11. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

If true I would think that teachers, in general tend to be Democratic because teachers are more highly educated than the majority of the population. This assumes that democrats are more highly educated than republicans.

But this is neither here nor there. When you ask "Who is really teaching our Children?" and link it back to the thread about Republicans ruining our educational system I believe you are neglecting many components of our educational system.
    It seems to imply that any failings in our system is the teachers' fault and the teachers' fault alone. Then, since obviously most teachers are Democratic, the premise "Republicans are ruining American education," is disproven.

This is poor logic at the least and/or simple ignorance of how the American educational system operates.
    Teachers are at the bottom of the ladder when it comes to education. True they are the ones who mostly interact with the students and have a certain leeway in the presentation of objectives but those objectives are largely determined by local school boards.
    The school boards are the ones that determine policies, curriculum, facilities and budget. Text books must be approved by the school board as well as what the teachers can present to a class within the state guidelines and interpretation of the school board.
    Teachers don't ban novels and text books, school boards do.
    Now as the requirements to become and remain a teacher are highly academic, moral, and legal (in PA you must B.A. or B.S. at minimum, be apart of a teacher education program, intern, pass exams on professional knowledge, general knowledge, and subject area knowledge, be finger printed, and pass a Department of Human Services Child Abuse History check, a Pennsylvania State Police Request for Criminal Records Check, and the Federal Criminal History Record Information check. And certification must be upheld by continual classes....and I won't get into reasons for dismissal.

To become a school board member you need to be a registered voter, a resident of the district, have a high school diploma or G.E.D., have no felony record, and not be a district employee. That's it.
    Now I don't know how many school board members across the U.S. are Democrats or Republicans, but how about we start there when we place blame as the school boards determine the educational standards and policies.

Then we can move on to state and other local politicians before we attack the teachers.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
  12. Toecutter

Toecutter Senior Member

Agreed, Sir,

I did not start this thread to attack teachers, if this is what it appears to be it was not intended

My attention was to bring light to the thread

It’s easy to deflect the blame towards others when things are not going as well as they should.

MeAgain likes this.
  13. erofant

erofant Members

Are they bad teachers? I think the thread you're talking about was referring to legislators like the ones in my state Oklahoma, mostly Republican, who refuse to provide funds for teachers and schools. I suspect part of this is a belief that the public schools shouldn't exist; that private , especially religious, is much better. These legislators are themselves examples of poorly educated people, so it becomes a vicious circle. [/QUOTE

Professors, od course, would be teaching at the college level, so those would be the institutions impacted, if at all. It varies from one departrment to another. In engineering, business, and the hard sciences, the tendency is more Republican.[/QUOTE]
    The reason for the attacks on, and push to get away from, public schools is two-fold. The REPUBLICAN PARTY - being in the pockets of BIG BUSINESS - is now, and always has been, wanting desperately to eliminate unions, which includes most school teachers. THE REPUBLICAN PARTY doesn't like the fact that groups of people have figured out that standing together in large numbers for common causes give those groups political CLOUT. Unions have ALWAYS stood up for average working people from many backgrounds - which is NOT what BIG BUSINESSES want. They want to keep workers "obedient, under-thumb, politically helpless/voiceless, under-paid, and educated "only to THEIR CORPORATE needs and desires." In order to accomplish all of their "corporate needs & GOALS" - THE REPUBLICAN PARTY is pushing hard to eliminate the teaching of civics and government in today's classrooms. Teaching young citizens how their government is SUPPOSED to work is not in the corporate interest. Well-educated citizens are NOT easy corporate pawns - they aren't easy to BS into corporate dogma. That's ONE REASON.

The second is that P-R-O-F-I-T cannot be made from public schools. All funds must be accounted for and spent on education requirements, teachers, school buildings, maintenance, etc. But there is a PLETHORA of GREEDY, SELF-SERVING business school graduates & executive types that want to P-R-O-F-I-T from private, for-profit schools where governmental regulations would NOT apply, and rules - as well as curriculums - would be made by the OWNERS of those for-profit schools. They set the classroom agendas, curriculums, subjects, and the L-O-W pay rates for their teachers. The owners keep teacher pay LOW, classroom supplies & technology at a minimum, teach what THEY want to be taught (brainwashing at the expense of REAL, FACTUAL knowledge and REAL, FACTUAL history) {see "the big LIE", and Covid misinformation as just 2 recent examples} .............. AND ................. they get to pocket the P-R-O-F-I-T from tuitions they set.

Look at how tax-paid "tuition vouchers" went to fund private, for-profit schools. They popped up like weeds in a vegetable garden - and many have folded already because the students weren't being taught by standards the public schools are held to. Test scores went D-O-W-N in may of those for-profit schools. Private schools - private rules. But ............... money went into the pockets of the school "owners."

IMO - the U.S ought to look into the teaching methods of some of the Scandinavian countries. They don't "militarize" their schools and treat students like bottle caps to be stamped out on an assembly line. Teaching by rote memory only goes so far. Norwegian schools teach real-life examples and applications of principles. Hands-on usage of classroom teaching. They also have several breaks during each day to "refresh" the students. They also teach outdoors - in fresh air!! - and teach about the importance of a clean environment. They recognize that NOT ALL students learn at the same pace, and adjust accordingly. Those students actually LOVE to go to school - and don't see school as "a dumb waste of time" as soooo many of our U.S. students do. Many of today's parents don't seem to stress the importance of a great education to their kids either, as parents once did to a larger degree. Many "parents" don't even know where their kids are at any given time.

scratcho and MeAgain like this.
  14. erofant

erofant Members

AMEN, AMEN, AMEN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Why do you think THE REPUBLICAN PARTY pushes SOOOOO HARD to get "their" candidates elected to school boards?????? (See above post). I have family members who are teachers. I know other who've quit because of classroom violence, threats (good parenting at home, right??) and de-funding of school districts at the local, state and federal levels. Paying for their once-funded school classroom supplies out of their own pockets amounted to a pay cut and was the last straw.

What is that often-used phrase spewed by the corporate executives in the U.S. ( when questioned about their I-N-S-A-N-E-L-Y high compensation packages )???? Oh , yes - I remember ..........

"YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. IF YOU WANT TO ATTRACT THE BEST & BRIGHTEST, YOU HAVE TO PAY THEM WELL."

I guess that only applies to THEM ............. to their way of thinking. It's called H-Y-P-O-C-R-I-S-Y.

scratcho and MeAgain like this.
  15. Toecutter

Toecutter Senior Member

This has been a big concern of mine, two years ago one of my family members was attacked by a 6 foot 185 lbs 15 year old

16. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

The "militarization" of schools begins the regimentation that is necessary for future cannon fodder and / or Zombie treadmill participants. Handy for the corporate / war machinery.

17. Toecutter

Toecutter Senior Member

My mother always said “the word will always need ditch-diggers” while attempting to motivate us to do better in school, apparently we listened as none of us turned out to be a ditch-digger.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
    MeAgain, erofant and scratcho like this.
  18. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Ha! My people used that too! Hell, somebody has to dig the ditches.:)

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
    Toecutter likes this.
  19. erofant

erofant Members

Understood. School isn't a fun place anymore. When we need metal detectors to protect teachers & staff - society has failed in raising our kids. HELL ................ many of the "adults" are just older versions of kids these days. Watch the TV news and we see plenty of evidence of childish, under-educated behavior and speech - by so-called "adults."

When I was in school, most of us boys carried pocket knives of some sort - but NOT as weapons. They were tools to open things mostly, and the teachers would often ask us if we had a pocket knife when they needed to open a taped package. No threats - no violence - no metal detectors. It was just decency and good parenting.

scratcho and Toecutter like this.
  20. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

I've dug a lot of ditches by hand.