Who here believes life exists on other worlds?

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by jerry420, May 26, 2004.

1. Mr. SelfDestruct

Mr. SelfDestruct Member

I'm totally convinced there has to be some intelligent life other than us out there. Or at least some crazy shit. I won't be one of those rednecks out in the woods claiming to be abducted, though.

2. BlackGuardXIII

BlackGuardXIII fera festiva

Originally Posted by BlackGuardXIII
    Kandahar, you speak as though anything that sounds completely ridiculous is not true. How dull life would be.
    That is NOT a rational approach to look at things.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlackGuardXIII
    This is cuz of all my weird experiences, and there are lots. I guess I may as well share one of the more ridiculous ones. A few months ago, while I was visiting my fiance in hospital, where she is still rehabbing from a bad head injury, she looked at me with wide eyes, and said "See the ducks in the park.", i said when you get better, we can do that, she shook her head, wide eyes, trying to make her point, "see the ducks in the park." she said it probably five times. I replied the same way as the first, but knew I was missing something.
    This was at a time when 3 word sentences were rare for her. the norm was one word. Pudding, More, Hi, etc.
    I went online after I got home and checked out the posts at the webgroup that I had requested prayers for her from, and had been blessed to receive many.

A woman from Portland Oregon who I had gotten to know a bit had a message for me.

Ken, did Eileen mention seeing the ducks in the park, cuz she really enjoyed it.

Okay, Portland is at least 500 miles away, and here the woman is telling me that on her lunch break when she went across the street to the park and fed the ducks, my fiancees spirit visited and enjoyed the visit.

I wouldnt believe that in a million years, except that she did mention it.

I replied to her post. 'yes, she did.'

that is my lil story, pretty kooky huh?

And the moral of the story? Science is worthless and therefore Martians built a face on their planet, and routinely visit us in UFOs. Good job.

Not quite, Kandahar. More like, the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, and Chaos Theory both theorize that science will never be totally objective, and can never be 100 % certain. As for your reply to my sharing what was to me an extremely moving experience, very childish.

3. Raving Sultan

Raving Sultan Banned

Blackguard seems cool but his posts are way too long to read so i dont know what the hell he is talking about most of the time.

4. BlackGuardXIII

sorry man, I do go on too long. I just hope someday we all accept each others beliefs as being just as valid as our own, and learn to love each other.

5. NEMISIS

NEMISIS GONE

It's too arrogant of man not to think so.

6. Kandahar

Kandahar Banned

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle deals with tiny tiny particles, not little green men in UFOs. Extrapolating to apply it to any other than quantum physics is ridiculous.

What does Chaos Theory have to do with anything we're discussing? Nothing.

7. BlackGuardXIII

The way I was taught, the scientist, or observer, is never totally objective, and is part of the experiment, which makes it biased.
    Every experiment is designed with a goal already in mind, which partially predetermines the outcome. Sometimes totally doing so. If I am wrong about the uncertainty principle, I would like to know where I can confirm your claim.

The moral of the story is that I do not feel science is anywhere near worthless, and I mentioned those two points, to express my views to you more clearly, which clearly did not work.
    Let me put it in laymans terms.
    Science is great. I love it. It has its limitations, though, in my view.
    Clear enough for ya?
    As for not a rational approach, when I experience irrational events, how am I supposed to scientifically, rationally explain them? I have difficulty with that.

8. AutumnAuburn

AutumnAuburn Senior Member

I do believe that there is life on other planets.

9. Kandahar

Kandahar Banned

Nevertheless, if the experimental results fail to conform to the hypothesis, the scientist is obligated to discard the hypothesis. This isn't always a bad thing; some of the most historic experiments in physics have been spectacular failures. For example, the Michelson-Morley experiment was meant to confirm the existence of the ether, but it accomplished exactly the opposite.

The Uncertainty Principle basically states that you can never accurately measure both the location and momentum of a particle, because the act of measuring it changes the momentum. Some people have erroneously interpreted that as meaning that science can never explain everything (and by "everything", they normally mean paranormal events).

Ok, at least I understand what you're saying now. I still don't agree though. There's a scientific explanation for everything in the universe, IMO.

10. airforcedrew

airforcedrew Banned

No comment..............

11. HippyFreek2004

HippyFreek2004 changed screen name

wow, way to kill a perfectly good thread...

Holly

12. The World of Dan

The World of Dan FSMFTW

Please do, i'd love to see what you come out with....

13. shaggie

shaggie Senior Member

Regarding the Mars pic on page 12 of this thread: Here's a pic of another region where these dunes appear. They are not in a line like a tunnel because of the lay of the land. You won't see this region posted on the conspiracy sites because it looks natural and not manmade.

I suppose the conspiracy advocates can say that it's a tunnel that didn't turn out straight because the Martians were drunk when they tried to make this one. :)

[​IMG]

14. Zanman

Zanman Member

I do find this interesting ...

If we find evidence of ANY life anywhere in the Solar System then life is almost certainly EVERYWHERE in the Universe. To my mind the only reason it wouldn't be is if the cells or whatever we found were proven to come from this Earth.

But that begs the bigger question ... is there INTELLIGENT life out there? A Universe full of microbes would be a bit of a disappointment I reckon.
    That is the more important question and I am not sure we have yet solved the development of intelligent life on Earth yet and just what the odds are that intelligent life does appear from microscopic life. Unless you think microbes may secretly be smart ...