Who here believes life exists on other worlds?

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by jerry420, May 26, 2004.

1. loverofthewoods

loverofthewoods Member

i find it interesting that not one on here said they believe us to be alone in the universe, actually most people i come accross say they also believe in other life forms on other planets...yet when one talks of having made contact with extra-terrestrials they are automatically labeled a crazy...what are we so afraid of?

im speaking in a gereral sence here as well as from personal expireince

2. iRiSd

iRiSd Member

why do other planets exist?
    my answer:To hold life.
    then why other reason could it be for their occupation in these solar system.

3. FreakyJoeMan

FreakyJoeMan 100% Batshit Insane

Yeps, there are aliens.

4. Acid_Rain

Acid_Rain Member

I've completely skipped over this forum, and i swear i didn't even notice it. I love science:p

I also definately believe that there has to be some other life out there. I mean, why do some people think that just because they live on this planet, and haven't actually SEEN other life out there, that it doesn't exist? I honestly don't think that out of all the planets in the universe, that we could be the only one that has life. That just seems ridiculous. And by life on other planets, i don't mean i think that there are little green men running around either. Life can range from plants to animals to what we know as human beings.

5. Jaganathadasa

Jaganathadasa Member

6. SunLion

SunLion Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Personally, I think that life is probably VERY common in the universe. Life popped up almost instantly on Earth, so I'm confident that it occurs elsewhere. But not intelligent life. Sure, SOMEWHERE in another galaxy perhaps, and probably in the distant past or future. But intelligent life, in our galaxy, right now? Not a chance.

From the time that life appeared, to the time when intelligence appeared, it seems to me that only the most incredibly unlikely of circumstances allowed us to evolve. Literally billions of years passed with life on earth in primitive form. The Cambrian explosion wasn't that long ago compared with how long life has existed on earth. The more I appreciate the vast expanse of geologic time, the more unlikely our very existence appears to be.

I've read a little bit of the discussion of the Rare Earth hypothesis and find it very appealing. Just like in the Dead song, we truly are on our own, IMHO.

That feeling has hit me with an almost religious impact. We are so insignificant even in earth history, so rare, so special, so completely unlikely as to be a true FLUKE of nature. Ever since I started studying geology and invertebrate paleontology as a hobby, I've seen humankind in a much more reverent light than the profane versions of it offered by the major religions.

Okay, I descend from the pulpit now.

7. Lodui

Lodui One Man Orgy

Wasn't that the plot from 'The One'? Jet Li want around to all the universes killing all the Jet Li's to attain real ultimate power. Only Jet Li stood in jet Li's way from omnipotentcy. needless to say, Jet Li kicks some ass. ;)

8. fizzy_elf

fizzy_elf Member

seeing as our planet is one of 9 (known) ones orbiting our sun, and there are billions of other stars, likely to have their own solar systems too, i think its naive to say we are living on the only hospitable planet in the universe(s).

of course there is life out there, look at the bigger picture man :)

9. drewbee

drewbee Member

You all forget one thing. You are thinking of "Carbon based" lifeforms. Who sais the other lifeforms need water to survive? Who sais they need warmth? oxygen etc. That is what our species as humans and creatures on this planet have developed unto ourselves, and as well, making us think others need this as well.

What may be the lifeblood of us, may be the most deadly toxic chemical known to another species (water).

If we are to figure this out, we must think not as humans, but as the creator.

"If i mix a little of this and a little of that they can survive here, but not their, and when i mix a little of that with a little of this, my new creature can survive their, but not that"

10. Haener

Haener Member

For years I've also assumed that life outside the earth exist although I have no idea how to visualize it. As drewbee pointed out other lifeforms do not have to be carbon-based like we. The only thing we can say for sure about all lifeforms is that they need to have a source of energy.

The assumption of extraterrestial life is based on simple statistics as pointed out by others in this topic. So many stars, so many planets and so on. Surely the universe must be teaming with life (that is - ofcourse - if you renounce any religious exemption position for the earth).

But there is a problem with this assumption. For if there is an abundance of life outside the earth then where is it? Howcome we have not noticed it? (And I'm not talking about the "I gave birth to an alien baby-nonsense") For some life must have evolved into intelligent life and some of those must have evolved into intelligent life way before we did. The same statistical approach works here: the galaxy has been around for billions of years and it is almost unthinkable that we happen to be the first in all those billions of years.

Intelligent life must have developed Radio/TV-transmissions like we did. We have been sending out those signals intentionally (that is specifically aimed at certain stars i.e. I'm not talking about your everyday TV-broadcasting) and we've been listening as well (the SETI-project, see www.seti.org) And yet we have found nothing. This finding is quite puzzling to me. I am confident in the statistical approach that forms the foundation of my assumption yet the evidence - or actually the lack thereof - is not consistent with it.

One thing is for sure though, it will never be like Star Trek. Pitty.

Just my humble opinion on the matter.

11. dhs

dhs Senior Member

I would think it would be a bit mecentric to think that there WEREN'T other lifeforms out there.

12. EllisDTripp

EllisDTripp Green Secessionist

Radio waves travel at roughly the speed of light, and we have only been broadcasting at reasonable power levels since around 1920. That means that the maximum distance any of our signals could have gone is about 84 light-years. Assuming that they are still detectable after travelling this far (the inverse square law is a bitch! :) ), another civilization would then have to detect them, and start "talking back", which would take another 84 years to reach US.

The universe is a lot larger than an 84 light-year radius around earth. Just because we haven't heard anything from stars that are relatively close to us means little.

13. drewbee

drewbee Member

Hmm perhaps the technology is not the same either. We tell them about a T.V. and they tell us were crazy. We broadcast "radio signals" and it is nothing but gibberish to them. They may not even have the technology to recieve this. They may communicate ESP style, whilst their entertainment is pre-recorded "dream" style. Like they become part of the "movie" in their head and can act it out as they want.

Just some random thoughts :)

Drew

14. EllisDTripp

The science of electromagnetic waves is pretty fundamental to the universe, so ANY civilization that develops any level of advanced communications is going to be quite familiar with them, even if they have developed something that exceeds them, such as some form of ESP.

As far as being able to receive radio signals, just about ANYTHING would work here if the signals can be made strong enough. A simple radio receiver can be made from a coil of wire and a rusty razor blade, or a piece of certain crystalline minerals. A receiver of such simplicity would all that would be needed to determine that a given signal is of intelligent origin, and not simply cosmic background noise.

15. shelly-welly

shelly-welly Member

i sure as hell do. i think its selfish for us to believe that we are the only life in this vast universe of ours.

16. baldy5000

baldy5000 Member

If you believe in the law of averages in an infinite universe, there are infinite possibilities, so we COULD be an accident.

17. ~MorningManiacMusic~

~MorningManiacMusic~ Banned

Man there has to be other life.What all that space just for us humans???We can't even get to those other planets yet,and if we did we'd probably try to kick the poor aliens ass.We don't belong in space yet,we don't even have our shit together on our own planet.

I read this interview with buzz aldrin,or one of those astronauts that went to the moon.Anyways,he said while they were on the moon there were martians watching them from a near by crater.I think they were told that there not welcome here and if you come back you'll pay the consequences(sp?).

I beleive it!Cause why don't we go back?If we made it with those cheap ass tin cans,why not go with our new technology?I would have thought there would be some kind of U.S miltary base up there already.

Or maybe we didn't go to the moon...

18. EllisDTripp

Got a link to this interview? It wasn't in the "Onion", was it?

WTF would "martians" be doing on the moon, anyway? The moon ain't Mars! Were they just there on vacation or something? :)

Methinks your aluminum-foil beanie is on too tight. It appears to be cutting off circulation....:)

19. ~MorningManiacMusic~

~MorningManiacMusic~ Banned

Yeah I'll look for the interview...

I've also read/heard from ex-area 51 workers/employees(whatever u call em) that when one of our space satelites or probes(whatever) was taking taking pics of the Dark Side OF Of The Moon, this guy said the photos that were getting sent back were "mind blowing",he said the dark side of the moon was lit up like a city!Buldings lights and all kinds of crazy shit.He said there was also some big metal looking thing there that was miles long!

20. ~Sam~

~Sam~ Cosmic Traveler

What a fantastic thread! How can one Not believe that there is life, in one form or another, out there in the Cosmos?

A very old, how should I say?, theory, rumor, postulation? believes that the Hungarians, or Magyars as we prefer to be called, are indeed transplants from another planet. We have a language that does not resemble any other in Europe or Asia. Most are intelligent beyond the norm. And we suddenly appeared, like out of nowhere, to conquer/shepherd the Carpathian Basin.

When questioned as to whether he believed in extraterrestrials, Edward Teller said; "Of course they exist. They are among us today. They are called Hungarians."

Then again, I might be just 1 Brane short of a 3 Brane dimensional existence myself.

Correction: It was Enrico Fermi who made the above quote about Magyars being extraterrestrials. Leo Szilard and Edward Teller, Hungarians both, worked on the so-called Manhattan Project together.