Who here believes life exists on other worlds?

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by jerry420, May 26, 2004.

1. jerry420

jerry420 Doctor of everything Lifetime Supporter

i think you'd kinda have to by now considering the amount of extrasolar planets found outside our solar system. over 100 to be exact:D

2. grim_rebel

grim_rebel Member

Nevermind the planets in our universe. I'm a firm believe of an infinite amount of universes, an infinite amount of you's and an infinite amount of energy. Hence the spiritual power a man can have if he collects enough energy from his others, one must simply give and take to acquire this energy. Everything is possible. Everything is/has already happened.

3. jerry420

very true indeed

4. grim_rebel

grim_rebel Member

Here's some info on the multi-verse theory: http://www.newscientist.com/hottopics/quantum/quantum.jsp?id=22994400
    I really find the notion of infinity comforting... somehow knowing that we are made of pure energy, having always been here and always being here makes life so simple. Nothing matters, everything is true and false, be the artist of your life...

5. jerry420

very cool my man:)

6. veinglory

veinglory Member

I don't think there's any way to know. The number of opportunities must be divided by the probability of life developing, and we don't know either arguing from a single example.

7. Happy_Go_Crazy

Happy_Go_Crazy Member

I believe so! but I can't really prove anything :eek:

8. MattInVegas

MattInVegas John Denver Mega-Fan

I'm a FIRM believer in the law of Averages. Knowing the number of possibilities, it stands to reason that there MUST be other life out there! We can't possibly be an Accident! Even for the Creationists, the Bible says that God spread his angels throughout the heavens. That litterally means... SPACE. For the Evolutionists, Any planet that has the basic elements can and will sprout life in one form or another.

My 2 cents.

9. grim_rebel

grim_rebel Member

damn if i wasn't so lazy i could go back to a different forum and find the 'accepted' calculations for the probability of life in the universe. Veinglory is partially right but a lot more factors are included, among those is the number of known stars, number of stars capable of producing life, number of new stars created capable of producing life, something in that vein... don't mind the pun. :) Cheers.

Oh, and if one was to calculate this I recall that the probability is pretty small, but i find that to be bullshit. It'd be TOO weird if we were the only sentient conscious beings in the universe... On the other hand, if any of you have read Ishmael by Daniel Quinn, i also find the progress of other animals to consciousness as an extremely refreshing and comforting notion. Cheers.

10. dhs

dhs Senior Member

I think the viewpoint that the earth supports the only lifeforms in the universe is far more difficult to believe than the alternative. Whether or not we ever discover such places is beyond me. Hopefully when we do, we've gotten our shit together as humans on this planet before we begin politicing with new worlds.

11. xaosflux

xaosflux Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

There is certainly more life out there..as to what form it takes though; that is anyones guess.

12. Duncan

Duncan Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

????

I am not even too sure if life exists in THIS world !

13. Ikarion

Ikarion Member

I get the impression women avoid these subjects, this part of the forums dedicated to science & technology is scarce in female opinion. Why does this happens?

I do believe in in life from another planets, i believe they already visited us. I mean, either i believe that mankind will evolve into a civilization capable to go interstelar, or i believe will stagnate and die out. If i accept will evolve continuosly, then the probability than a older race has already make it is hight and inevitable. Imagine if the dinosaurs had envolved into a technological species, they would have 65 millions of science now!! Were would they have reached?? I mean, imagine that by the time the dinosaurs lived on earth, another inteligent species in other planet was already as advanced as we are now...

14. EllisDTripp

EllisDTripp Green Secessionist

Probably because of the social pressure applied to young women by their peers and their teachers in a patriarchal society. Girls actually outperform boys in science and math in the early grades, but by 5th or 6th grade, when societal pressure not to look like a "geek" (and to attract boys, not intimidate them) really starts to kick in, the roles reverse.

Of course, boys may also have a higher tolerance for the boring rote memorization and useless trivia that passes for science education these days...:)

Back on topic, the statement that comes to mind is a quote from the movie "Contact". Given the size of the universe, and the number of planets out there, if Earth were the only one with intelligent life, it would be an awful waste of space!

15. themnax

themnax Senior Member

as vast and diverse a universe as anyone who isn't living under a rock knows we are surrounded by i find it difficult to immagine that anyone even close to anything resembling their right mind truely believes our world and our species to be unique.

16. darkstar8413

darkstar8413 Member

Of course! Other planets are just the beginning. Infinity is an IMPOSSIBLE theory to fully grasp. Even if we think we have it, we don't completely. The "human race" here on our planet isn't capable of this complete of understanding. I fully believe in life on other planets, galaxies, systems, etc. I believe in life everywhere, including other completely other realms possibly. Nothing is more incredible and spectacular than natural life. My question is where did it start????!!!!!????? Damn, it hurts my head to think of this. I don't believe in Christianity. I think. I wish I knew the answer.

17. loveflower

loveflower Senior Member

whew thats crazy. i totally believe in their being other lifeforms and such. isnt it weird to think that space goes on forever? i mean, even if it did end, what would be beyond it? crazy crazy

18. Nathan11

Nathan11 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

well, what's beyond a vaccum said to be empty, because of no air, the same thing, it can't stop, because in essence, it doesn't exist, it is nothing-ness. It's a bit hard to think of...

19. Ikarion

Ikarion Member

Most people here believes that the life is trivial and common in planets even if their are far away to us to verify, but there is still the possibility that we are indeed alone in the universe. Sure, there are many planets out there and scientists say that in theory manu other with conditions near to our planet. But hoe sure can we be to this? It takes a certain mass in a wide range of possibilities to make gravity tolerable. Too little mass and planets will be without the capability of having atmosphere like mercury and pluto, too much mass and they will have a crushing gravity like the gas giants. Too close to the sun and they will be hot as venus, too far and they be near absolute zero tremnperatures. An even if they have this two qualities they still need to have water because we do not know if some kind of life can exist without it.

So even in millions of possibilities, millions of solar systems, we need the right size at a right distance with the right composition, and some other special conditions to life to appear. Wich makes it possibly a very rare event. We might be so fare away form the next planet with life forms that if we do not come up with some kind of way of travelling faster than light,(something still science fiction and that scientists are ceptic about ) we problaby will not ever reach it, ever.

20. shelly-welly

shelly-welly Member

i strongly believe in life on other planets--considering the infinite number of universes, let alone galaxies and planets. And i believe in different universes there are different natural laws--laws that might contradict ours--but still holds the universe together (because God made it) so id be curious to see what other life forms would look like (wouldnt we all?)