Who deserves medical care?

Discussion in 'Protest' started by WWVisionaries, Oct 14, 2011.

1. odonII

odonII O

Saying 'Communist Healthcare' is dumb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhyP7u1v4tE"]Bill O'Reilly: Universal Healthcare Is Communist - YouTube

2. RandomVegan

RandomVegan Member

ooh, look who can use the big words + a dead language even

yep - it will soon be an actual crime to be poor, police are already executing people for anything they feel like.

3. OddApple

OddApple Member

I used to say it was apples and oranges, that we were trying to model after countries but our culture was different. But plenty of canad's have said "it's one set of complications in exchange for another" so it's not just that. Somewhere down the line I think Americans will demand an environment where many choices are available and none compulsory. If we think some guy is idiot or asshole we just go to the next one down the block - that is a very important freedom to keep

4. eggsprog

eggsprog anti gang marriage HipForums Supporter

Canadians are not told which doctor to go to. If I don't like my doctor, I can go to any other doctor who is currently accepting patients. The government does not tell us which doctor to go to.

5. OddApple

OddApple Member

But it's all a unified system, which they want to switch us to including our information being "universally" available and subject to great hack. We do not want any of our people in too powerful positions being "unified" we want watchdogs because here, given an inch they take ten miles and worse than a crackhead in a coke factory. No one trusts our government, least of all the ones of us with iq of at least a carrot. They're always proving their critics right!

6. eggsprog

It is single-payer, if that is what you mean by unified. The provincial government pays (with financial assistance from the federal government) and ensures that doctors, hospitals, etc. meet certain standards.

By taking the profit and a lot of the administrative work out of the system (since they only have to send a bill to one payer, it is a lot less work), we are able to pay much less for a comparable level of care health care than you do in the US. The one down-side is that we tend to have longer wait times, but it is very, very rare that these wait times cause anyone harm (but there are some instances where this is true).

7. OddApple

OddApple Member

And government bean counters decide what treatments and medicines you get and which ones you don't and you folks don't have a say in that. We still do. We also still have to give direct permission for our medical records to be shared by each entity. Little things, but big little things.
    We have generally found that if allow/trust a government to plan or regulate your health and life you are asking the fox to babysit the chickens. Look at DC now...

8. ginalee14

ginalee14 eternity

[​IMG]

9. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Random Vegan------it actually used to against the law to be poor---it was called vagrancy. You could be arrested for it!! The " supreme" court finally ruled it unconstitutional.

10. ginalee14

ginalee14 eternity

It still happens to a certain degree. Police give homeless people tickets for loitering. I think that's criminal. People are poor, they can't afford tickets.

11. odonII

odonII O

Yes, under Commie Care UK we can also chose the GP (doctor) we prefer.
    Any change is: 'one set of complications in exchange for another' - but Americans decided that the have and have nots have a mandatory obligation, and have a very different health care system.
    Because? some are sick and some are not...and that is a good indicator to how the health care system should run.

The NHS is far from a 'unified system' on a basic level it is...but that is simplifying 60 years of the NHS. You do not want the specifics, though, right?

12. RandomVegan

RandomVegan Member

I have been homeless - they are not following that declaration of the supreme court - put a badge and firearm with someone and have their boss say "get em" and they do

13. scratcho

Damn it--if those lazy-ass homeless people would just please try and remain out of sight, they wouldn't have so much trouble. Doesn't matter if any of 'em lost their jobs and/or their homes because of those who make (and consequently often change) the rules -----get some jobs!!

14. ginalee14

ginalee14 eternity

That's harassment and even torture when

1. no work
    2. illness and / or disability
    3. no means to sustain employment (transportation, clothing, etc.) despite social service programs, which can sometimes be inaccessible
    4. court-ordered program commitments (such as outpatient / day hospitalization forced treatment programs)
    5. need for education / training
    6. rebellion; not wanting to be obligated to employment that robs a person of their sense of self (personhood)
    7. drug or alcohol addiction, with or without criminal tendencies
    8. felon status

I think the list could probably continue.

15. scratcho

I think you're correct. Once a person gets waaaay down--it's almost impossible to get back up to normalcy. No phone--no home--no vehicle and no one to help? Forget it.

16. ginalee14

ginalee14 eternity

One of the worst things is how a person's life gets so absorbed in the system that it kills their spirit and soul. They lose themselves with no ability to recover. It's like the dog pound .. lost & found .. but too many people stay lost. Horribly tragic.

17. OddApple

OddApple Member

It seems like here lately it's been made nearly impossible to get back up while the conditions get more sinister. I often feel like it's getting ready for many to go down and not be allowed back up. Here, they are always trying to identify homeless and there is a fema camp they send them to.

<< The NHS is far from a 'unified system' on a basic level it is...but that is simplifying 60 years of the
    NHS. You do not want the specifics, though, right?>>

I think if, here in the US we were really talking about healthcare talking exhaustively might have merit....I am not sure in the US we are really talking about healthcare atm. I think it is being pushed to do something else and until those goals are attained it's going to meander and be unfixable....because on the real that's not what we're "fixing" if you know what I mean...

18. ginalee14

ginalee14 eternity

Keeping the down & out down & out (on purpose).

19. eggsprog

Medications are not covered by our health insurance. The only time we are denied medications is by private insurance companies. If we had a national pharmacare program, the price for medication would certainly fall (especially for generic drugs), because the government would have incredible bargaining power. Buying in bulk always means lower prices.

Other than some experimental treatments that do not yet have proof of their effectiveness, we are not denied any sort of treatment that I know of.

In what ways have you found that trusting your government with your health care has had negative consequences? As far as I know, the United States has never had anything close to a universal, single-payer health insurance scheme (including Obamacare, which is still a private health insurance system).

20. eggsprog

The myth that there are always jobs available for those willing to work is still very pervasive in American (and to a lesser extent, Canadian) society. If everyone would just realize that the free market does not always magically create exactly the number of jobs needed, we would be a lot closer to solving the problem of poverty.

The fact that no capitalist economy has every achieved total employment (other than during war time, with government management of the economy) should be enough of a clue, but yet we keep stigmatizing the poor for their perceived moral failings.