Who are your favorite artists and why?

Discussion in 'Art' started by Moonglow181, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

2. Moonglow181

3. Moonglow181

4. Moonglow181

OK, I am just looking at fantasy artwork photos and putting ones I like here at the moment....:D

I love looking at paintings....:)

[​IMG]

scratcho and soulcompromise like this.
  5. machinist

machinist Banned Lifetime Supporter

Richard Serra. Large scale steel sculpture. Stark simplicity and overwhelming sense of perspective and presence.

Architects:

Norman Foster. The embodiment of the cutting edge even though he's pushing 90. Such a fiery passion solving any problem. Designed the new Apple campus which is just amazing.

Steven Holl. Always keeps it fresh and looks at every project with new eyes.

Peter Zumthor. Beautiful simplicity and the belief that instead of trying to be extraordinary, work to be typical. "Make it typical, then it will become special." The tree: "Nothing special, incredibly powerful."

6. jpdonleavy

jpdonleavy Members

Monet was my first thought when I saw the title of the thread. However, I have to say Jackson Pollack, because I used to be a night persn and he's good at portraying denizens

7. jpdonleavy

jpdonleavy Members

on a Windows 7 computer just keep hitting CTRL - until it fits - or CTRL + to expand your screen

I imagine it works for various other iterations of windows as well

8. Crystal_Nocked

Crystal_Nocked Members

All-time favorite in any medium is Dale Chilhuly and his incredible stained glass work.

For painters........Wasily Kadinsky...Paul Rothko....Van Gogh...Bacon...and some of William Blake's work.

http://www.chihuly.com/

9. Pete's Draggin'

Pete's Draggin' Visitor

When I was in middle school I saw this painting of "Saturn Devouring His Son" by Spanish artist Francisco Goya. It scared the crap out of me.

Still to this day, I appreciate Goya and his dark interpretation of mythology.

[​IMG]

10. autophobe2e

autophobe2e Senior Member

What do you make of the Chapman brothers?

Half of their oeuvre is recreating Goya's Disasters of war prints and sketches in as many media as possible. They also buy as many of his prints as possible and draw/paint on them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfvOamchdOM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wt-jVRpotIo

1 person likes this.
  11. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

You really think this American dude has heard of the Chapman brothers?

12. autophobe2e

autophobe2e Senior Member

I provided the links to check out in case he wasn't aware of them, as a Goya fan I thought their work would interest him

1 person likes this.
  13. Pete's Draggin'

Pete's Draggin' Visitor

Thank you auto for recommending the Chapman brothers. I spent a couple of hours yesterday watching documentaries and interviews that I found about them, as well as watched the ones you provided. Im very intrigued by their art.

I would've never found the Chapmans if it wasn't for your recommendation. Now I have Goya, Giger, and the Chapman's as my favorite artists.

My thanks again.

1 person likes this.
  14. StellarCoon

StellarCoon Dr. Professor

Mike Mignola, HR Giger

15. Pete's Draggin'

Pete's Draggin' Visitor

Two Followers of Cadmus devoured by a Dragon

By Cornelis van Haarlem, 1588.

In high school, we used this paintings image on the back of the class club door to let other students know that Advanced Dungeons and dragons was in session during free period. Its a painting that reminds me of all the cool gaming we did.

Lots of modules, dice rolling and good times.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. Pete's Draggin'

Pete's Draggin' Visitor

I like these paintings because they always remind me of a funny movie I watched in my teens, Whoopee Boys (1986)

Francisco Goya

[​IMG]
    ^
    "HONEST MAN!....I DIDN'T KNOW THAT WAS YOUR SISTER"

And

Andrea Mantegna
    [​IMG]
    ^
    "POLISH ARCHERY LESSONS"

17. ~Zen~

~Zen~ Ancient Mariner Administrator

Wasily Kandinsky... he moves me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Guess you need to have done some psychedelics to groove on this fellow's art and philosophy. :)

1 person likes this.
  18. Moonglow181

Sure, I have heard of Kandinsky before. I never did psychedelics, but I like his art. It is almost musical, as you can almost hear his art..... and I love the colors.

19. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Not the biggest fan of abstract art. But there are some good ones out there, like Kandinsky. But Marcel Dunchamp, Tracy Emin, Man Ray, Henry Matise, and Jackson Pollock are talentless hacks who I completely despise

20. Scratched

Scratched Members

Speaking of artful talent, the famous pinstriper (cars, motorcycles, etc.) known as Von Dutch comes to mind. A style of pinstiping that is often imitated nowadays.

Very good at his trade, but ornery and a bit quirky with a mind of his own. Lots of stories out there about some of his shenanigans, pretty funny.

My favorite several pages about him is an article in Secrets Magazine, a publication for Ford Model A/B performance enthusiasts.

I believe the story was written as experienced by Dave Williams. Funny stuff