White House Down

Discussion in 'New Movies' started by Shale, Jun 28, 2013.

1. Shale

Shale ~

White House Down
    Movie Blurb by Shale
    June 28, 2013

This is the same movie as Olympus Has Fallen that played 3 months ago but with different actors.
    http://www.hipforums.com/newforums/showthread.php?t=468216&f=287

I am not the only one who finds it strange and someone actually wrote a blog about it:

http://screencrush.com/white-house-down-olympus-has-fallen/

It starts differently and has a longer setup than the previous movie. John Cale (Channing Tatum) is a Capitol Police Officer who wants to join the Secret Service. His current duty is to transport the Speaker of the House, Eli Raphelson(Richard Jenkins). He goes for an interview in the White House and takes along his 13-year-old daughter, Emily (Joey King) who is a precocious political geek.

Cale failed his interview with Secret Service Agent Carol Finnerty, (Maggie Gyllenhaal) who knows him and believes he is unreliable.

Secret Service Agent Carol Finnerty,
    [​IMG]

However he takes his daughter on a White House tour where she runs into President James Sawyer (Jamie Foxx) who grants her a YouTube interview.

Cales’ Daughter Interviews the Prez
    [​IMG]

All this fine feel-good stuff is about to end (which is why we all came to see this movie) when the bad guys manage to position themselves and kill off all the guards and Secret Service agents and taking over. Of course just like the previous movie there are inside traitors assisting the outside bad guys and they get into the Presidential Emergency Operations Center where they can access and control NORAD – a scary situation, which I hope the real White House has secured better since it has been compromised in two movies in a quarter year.

Anyhow, Cale the Secret Service reject is still in the White House when all this goes down and his daughter went to the restroom so he has to find her. Oh, he is an Afghanistan combat veteran so he can elude the combatants and give them hell all over the place. Eventually he and the Sawyer get together and he takes on the duty to protect the Prez and save his daughter.

Prez & Cale Fight the Bad Guys
    [​IMG]

BTW, if you noticed in the trailers that the Capitol Building dome was blown up – that was just diversion. This movie is all about trashing the White House. And, as a fall back plan to shut it down, the military calls in strikes to level it, adding to the suspense of getting out before the jets arrive.

Gunships Attack the White House
    [​IMG]

I actually liked this movie better than its counterpart (tho I enjoyed that one as well). This one touches on issues of class struggle and the military industrial complex controlling our government and keeping wars going for profit. I will probably get both movies on DVD as a set (Just as I have 'Armageddon' and 'Deep Impact')