Which Vaccine???

Discussion in 'Latest Hip News Stories' started by ~Zen~, Feb 4, 2021.

1. ~Zen~

~Zen~ Ancient Mariner Administrator

[​IMG]

Seems there are many options.

Where I live it looks as if they will be giving the Sputnik to the locals, with no plans to give it to visitors, toruists, resident aliens, and illegals. I was doubtful about it being from Russia, but yesterdays news announced a 91% efficacy.

Then there are a number of others out there...

These are the ones developed so far:

BBIBP-CorV (China)

Sputnik V COVID-19 (Russia)

Pfizer–BioNTech

Moderna

Oxford–AstraZeneca

EpiVacCorona (Russia)

CoronaVac (China)

Ad5-nCoV (China)

BBV152 (India)

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
  2. ~Zen~

According to Wikipedia there are about twenty others also under development or in testing.

BTW - this thread is not for Anti-Vaxxers.

3. ~Zen~

From Wikipedia:

The effectiveness of a new vaccine is defined by its efficacy. In the case of COVID‑19, a vaccine efficacy of 67% may be enough to slow the pandemic, but this assumes that the vaccine confers sterilizing immunity, which is necessary to prevent transmission. Vaccine efficacy reflects disease prevention, a poor indicator of transmissibility of SARS‑CoV‑2 since asymptomatic people can be highly infectious. The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the European Medicines Agency (EMA) set a cutoff of 50% as the efficacy required to approve a COVID‑19 vaccine. As of 7 January, authorized and approved vaccines have shown efficacies ranging from 62–90% for the Oxford–AstraZeneca vaccine (various dosage regimens) to 95% for the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID‑19 vaccine. BBV152 has not published efficacy results as of 7 January. With BBIBP-CorV, Sinopharm announced a vaccine's efficacy was 79%, which was lower than the 86% announced by the United Arab Emirates (UAE) on 9 December. The UAE based its results on an interim analysis of Phase III trials conducted from July.[375] With CoronaVac, after three delays in releasing results, Instituto Butantan announced in January 2021 that the vaccine was 78% effective in mild cases and 100% effective against severe and moderate infections based on 220 COVID‑19 cases from 13,000 volunteers. Butantan declined to elaborate how the efficacy rate was calculated. The efficacy of the Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine is 96% for those aged 18 to 64.The Novavax vaccine was found to be 89% effective in the UK.[379]
    At the University of Oxford, researchers have as of early February 2021 begun enrolling volunteers in an 820 person trial to evaluate the efficacy of combining two different vaccines, a mix and match approach, as opposed to using two doses of the same vaccine. The ultimate goal of the study will be find whether the mix and match method is just as or more effective than the currently used practice. The study will utilize the shot developed by Pfizer and BioNTech with the University of Oxford and AstraZeneca shot, two vaccines which rely on different methods to deliver information to the cells of the recipient. Ugur Sahin has voiced his opposition to the trial in December, stating that a study "“will use up doses that people who need them could profit from, I am not happy about this,” though Pfizer and AstraZeneca have supported the trals.

VeganLadyAZ likes this.
  4. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

I'll be taking the one offered by my local Health Department. Due to shortages and the complete lack of planning by the previous administration, I doubt that they're going to be able to offer a buffet menu.

wilsjane and ~Zen~ like this.
  5. Escierto

Escierto Members

I had the first shot of the Moderna vaccine about a month ago. I get the second shot in two days. My only reaction to the first shot was a very sore arm and a lot of fatigue the next day. I am looking forward to being done with Covid!

wrat1 and ~Zen~ like this.
  6. ~Zen~

No I doubt there will be a buffet available! I just want us all to know about the options, which seem few but are there.

I have heard reports of medical tourism regarding vaccines. A tale of a rich couple posing as hotel workers in Canada to jump the line was distressing.

There are reports about people of color not having access to the vaccine... will things NEVER CHANGE?

scratcho likes this.
  7. ~Zen~

Lucky you! Or at least I hope so... let us know how that second shot goes.

Are you still being careful in pubic regardless of having had the vaccine?

I wonder about all the variants and how effective the existing vaccine will work against them. There is so much conflicting information...

8. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Whatever becomes available, if and when it becomes available... I won't have any options.

soulcompromise and ~Zen~ like this.
  9. Escierto

Escierto Members

Everything I have read about the Moderna vaccine indicates it is effective against the variants. Even against the South African variant it protects against serious illness or death even though you might still get sick.

I am still wearing a mask and doing social distancing. We still don’t know if those who are vaccinated can still infect other people.

~Zen~ likes this.
  10. ~Zen~

I plan on doing the same until mass herd immunity is achieved.

That may never happen. Once Pandora's box is opened....

You know the rest of the story!

11. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

Had my First Shot today (Oxford -Astra Zenica ) no side Effects so far !
    But I did feel the urge to Chase a Car up our street earlier :oops:

12. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

Once we've had the second shot, and after enough time has passed to assume sufficient development of antibodies (based upon our doctor's recommendations), we will break quarantine and resume being around people, especially if they're vaccinated and we're outdoors. We will continue to minimize exposure to the general public, avoid indoor spaces, mask up, maintain social distancing, and wash hands frequently, per CDC guidelines, until said guidelines change. Due to militant non-compliance from Trump's death cult and dimwit antivaxxers, we might not be able to develop heard immunity, and such precautions may be with us for a long time to come.
    CDC: What to Expect After Getting a COVID-19 Vaccine

scratcho and ~Zen~ like this.
  13. ~Zen~

There you go Mally! Always a funny comment, I LOVE it!

14. ~Zen~

Very sensibly said.

15. Tyrsonswood

Another thing about the vaccine in my area... They are having Kroger Pharmacy handling this. Kroger is a grocery store... The people that work in the pharmacy that give shots are not necessarily trained to give shots.

What could go wrong?

DiagonalZone and ~Zen~ like this.
  16. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

I'm a paramedic; I'm trained to give shots. Believe me; giving an IM injection is not rocket science. I (or any diabetic, for that matter) could train you to do it in about 5 minutes.

DiagonalZone and ~Zen~ like this.
  17. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

Super easy to give vaccine shots mate they go into muscle Its the ones that go into a vein that are hard to do propperly and can be Dangeroo cos of Air Bubbles !
    The girl that did mine ( At the Rugby ground ) was a Hooker

Some of you will get that one :p

~Zen~ and Sambone like this.
  18. Tyrsonswood

I still don't think having a grocery store handle vaccinations against a pandemic is the right way to go about it.

19. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

It's really no different or more difficult than giving a flu vaccine, which grocery-store pharmacies do all the time. We're a nation of 330 million. If we're going to get everyone vaccinated this millennium, it's got to be all hands on deck; even grocery stores. .

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
    ~Zen~ and Mallyboppa like this.
  20. Tyrsonswood

Go for it...