Which political activists most inspire you?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by ImmortalDissident, Aug 30, 2005.

1. ImmortalDissident

ImmortalDissident Senior Member

Well... go on. Dead or alive.

2. Lodui

Lodui One Man Orgy

Usually activists have a very narrow view of an issue, so I say dead ones, because you only have to hear from their supporters. [​IMG]

Usualy activists are very simplistic and very uncharismatic. When they are charismatic, they're much more dangerous, because they are still pretty shallow.

3. olhippie54

olhippie54 Touch Of Grey Lifetime Supporter

Wavy Gravy!!!

[​IMG]

4. Lodui

Lodui One Man Orgy

Or wavy Gravy.

5. seamonster66

seamonster66 discount dracula

Abbie Hoffman seemed kind of inspirational...especially how he dissappeared and reappeared in plain sight conducting an environmental campaign under a different name..

6. Lodui

Lodui One Man Orgy

Hoffman would be the 'more dangerous' kind of activist I was talking about.[​IMG]

7. seamonster66

There are these two new york defense attorneys that took all of these civil rights cases...they represented the guy who took pictures of naked people on the street, many cases of false imprisonment...I can't remember their names, but they would probably be mine

8. Lodui

Lodui One Man Orgy

Oh yeah, there was a thread about Alfred Kinsey in the sex forums... hes not really an activist, but he was a revolutionary.

I think any artists who piss a lot of people off are pretty political too. Especially gangsta rappers. And yes I'm being totally serious.

9. ImmortalDissident

That's actually more the kind person I was talking about. The revolutionaries, the visonaries, the people who were really inspirational and achived something.

And I disagree with your statement about activists... it depends on the person. Sure there are many who just want to fight to save the life of some fish, and the surrounding ecology doesn't influence them, or anything else like that... so long as the fish are alive. I'm not talking about those people.

Anyway, LIST AWAY!

10. DancerAnnie

DancerAnnie Resident Beach Bum

As cliche as it sounds...I'm going to have to go with Ghandi...he was incredible...

Although Abbie Hoffman was kinda cool too....

11. Lodui

Lodui One Man Orgy

He was also a racist. He worked for years in South Africa protecting the Indians civil right, but he called the south africans 'Kafir' which means ******, and he worked to help keep them suppresed with the British.

He was also was a major driving force behind the seperation of India, Pakistan, and Bangledesh, and the violence that insued in those wars killed millions.

You could argue that this would have happened if it Ghandi weren't around, but he was certainly a catalyst in the ethnic strife of the Bangledesh Liberation war, which led to the genocide of millions.

He also liked giving hindu nuns enemas.

He was a racist enema queen.

He was a very facinating guy, who helped India passively get rid of British colonial rule, but I dunno if I'd call him amazing.

12. Lodui

Lodui One Man Orgy

You're young and idealistic. When you get older you'll realise how full of shit everybody is. [​IMG]

13. seamonster66

Didn't Ghandi also drink his own piss for alleged health reasons....somehow that doesn't seem fitting for a visionary :D

14. Lodog

Lodog ¿

I'm gonna have to go with Lenny Bruce. Not an activist per say, but he definatly broke down some barriers. He obviously didn't give a shit about his shortcomings either.

15. Lodui

Lodui One Man Orgy

I heard that too, but I wasn't sure if it was true, and I didn't wanna gossip.

Then again, he is dead, so yes, he did drink his own piss. [​IMG]

16. Lodui

Lodui One Man Orgy

Lenny Bruce was a genuis. He was the last American to ever go to prison for speech codes.

Still really funny too. You find me some other comedians matireal form the 50's that holds up now. Ever wonder about what kind of girdle Eisenhower wore? Me neither. [​IMG]

17. ImmortalDissident

Young and idealistic... all this coming from someone who is probably a few months older than me :rolleyes: . And trust me, I am aware of the copious shit that the people in this world spew.

18. Lodui

Lodui One Man Orgy

Take it easy killer, I was kidding. [​IMG]

I'm probably just way too much of an ass. Cest le vie. [​IMG]

19. seamonster66

what does copius mean?

20. Lodui

Lodui One Man Orgy

A fuck ton.