which places did you go barefoot?

Discussion in 'Barefoot' started by lovebarefoot, May 25, 2014.

1. charlie35

charlie35 Member

Take heart, Phill. You are not alone in your thought processes. However as time passes and you become more confident these thoughts fade, although never completely. I'm glad you recognize that no one actually cares. I found that a big step forward. You then lose that feeling that the whole street is going to stop and stare at you and shout in unison "Oh my god he's barefoot!". You can sometimes even feel disappointed that no one appears to notice.

That said, now is a slightly challenging time of year as winter approaches. The comments from people who know me are starting: "You still barefoot!", "Aren't your feet cold?" etc etc. I just laugh it off and enjoy the attention.

2. Shakti_Om

Shakti_Om Local Pixie

yeah, It's that time of year here in the UK, I got 'arnt your feet cold' in the bakery today. The ladies in there were very nice and called me 'very brave' lolz.

Sx

3. Shakti_Om

Shakti_Om Local Pixie

Oh, I could not resist one more post to reach 500! yay :D

I met another barefoot girl today. She was out shopping, like me in the rain. We both stopped, chatted for a few minutes and I cooed at her new baby strapped to her chest. Then parted after giggling about the barefoot thing (yeah I know pretty girly).. :)

Sx

4. phill32

phill32 Members

A good experience today as I got out for my longest barefoot walk so far. A whole hour and twenty minutes! I started the walk in town in a pair of bottomless shoes I've adapted. It doesn't feel quite 'right' having what are essentially foot covers on when I really want to be barefoot however I'm not yet confident enough to barefoot it around the shopping malls and busy streets of the town centre so this is the next best thing. I don't want to waste time in full shoes where my bare feet could be getting used to the feeling of being in contact with the ground.

From town I made it to the park and spent some time completely barefoot. I can't really put into words how amazing this felt. The best way to say is it just felt completely right, natural and perfect. On the social judgement side of things too I felt I made progress as I walked past a couple of people walking dogs on a narrow path. It was really clear I was barefoot and I didn't try to hide behind a tree to avoid being spotted so this was good!

I've got a couple of questions, if any more experienced barefooters can help me with I'd really appreciate it.

First, after an hour mainly on concrete it was beginning to sting a bit and I had to turn to the flip-flops when I got onto a long stretch of sharp stones and gravel. Do you ever get to a point where one day you can cope with any surface, like sharp stones and find it's perfectly ok and manageable? Or will I always be glad of having flip-flops in my bag? I figure the more time spent on trickier surfaces the better in making my feet stronger?

Second, today was fine as it is still quite mild out but how do you get on when it begins to get colder, frost, ice, snow etc? Did your feet adapt to that and do you find it easy going barefoot over the winter?

5. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

I've been barefoot less and less, I have a pretty even mixture now, between barefoot and wearing boots. I was 100% full time absolutist barefooter for a while.

It makes some parts of my life a lot easier and some parts a lot less painful and dangerous, and leaves the comfort where it's possible.

But I'll still kick up a fuss if somebody tries to make me wear shoes when I don't want to - keep your fascism off my feet.

2 people like this.
  6. Feet get used to rough surfaces over time (years, not months) and barefooting through colder temps does help acclimate your body externally and internally. We're not made of steel, however, but we ain't no dang powder puffs neither, yo!

7. Shakti_Om

Shakti_Om Local Pixie

Personally my drive to be barefoot was always greater than the discomfort posed by the cold or stones etc. I can't remember the 'turning point', but after time feet can deal with pretty much anything. I've always had in my mind the fact that these feet were made to be walked on and gone forward on that assumption :)

Sx

8. Bare feet? Walking? Wierd....
    OH !!
    WAIT !!!

1 person likes this.
  9. phill32

phill32 Members

Thanks for sharing your experiences, it's really helpful. I plan to stick with barefoot outside as much as I can in the next few months and see how I get on. I'm encouraged by what you say about your drive to be barefoot being greater than fear of discomfort as I'm pretty sure I'm good with that. It's the social side and learning to disregard peoples views that will be a bigger test, but still one I hope I'll get the hang of.

Barefoot running is helping with that as I've got out the last two days and been able to do a short barefoot run/walk. I tried it briefly a couple of years ago and enjoyed it but an injury (unrelated to the barefoot runs) ended in going back to doing 100% of my running in shoes. Now it seems being dressed as a runner when barefoot can offer another defence/comeback/justification to repel the anti-barefoot view because it's a type of running that people have heard of a bit more than in the past. I think I'll definitely be using I prefer barefoot running as a comeback if I get any feedback. Not a long-term solution to handling the social judgement thing but quite useful in the beginnings of trying to spend extended time barefoot outdoors.

Oh and one more big achievement, I stepped in my first barefoot dog poo today. I hope this is a memorable landmark everyone goes through and not just a sign that I should look where I'm going! :)

10. tattgirl

tattgirl Member

I was barefoot all today at work, walking around the huge office getting my beautiful dirty feet carpet clean again. Then I went out for a drive - yes barefoot - and I visited some families Never ceases to amaze children looking at my bare tatt feet with jewlery.
    Lol funny on weekend a small boy said "mummy that lady doesnt have shoes" Mum looked embarrassed and I laughed. RIGHT ON I dont wear shoes I do have em tho.
    Well I sent my man some pic's of the filthy feet he missed yesterday and well no reply. SO watch this space. sadly maybe he dont want Tattgirl anymore. If this is the case I will be one sad bitch.

11. tattgirl

tattgirl Member

barefoot today and filthy as I sloshed through a muddy yard today. I see people who are worried where they step or on what. That concept evades me as an Aussie brought up in the dessert. If you told me I would tread on a snake or venom spider then I may start to be cautious. But if not FUCK OFF why worry. 99% you wont die.
    They are muddy as he likes em today his kiss was enough to tell me he likes !!!!!

2 people like this.
  12. charlie35

charlie35 Member

That concept evades me too, TG. Glad all is well with your man after all.

Yesterday I went to watch the veteran car run. I began at a village en route where it was well muddy due to the torrential rain so lots of sploshing and squelching. Damn that wet grass though! Then to Brighton to watch the arrivals. Again very wet so sparkling clean feet were the annoying result!

13. tattgirl

tattgirl Member

Today I was barefoot at work,under my desk, drinking coffee in dinning room, sneaking through the office. Barefoot driving always !!
    After work I went to the local Westfield and a man sat staring at my feet and smiled asking if I was a dancer, I said no, he asked are you sure? Your feet are exquisite.
    I was for once i was chuffed. and also sad to be alone!!.
    I walkd around the shopping center and txt the guy who usually finds my feet irresistible. Fuck his simple touch and kiss turns me on.

After Westfield I walked around the supermarket just to get milk mind you but walked every isle feeling and enjoying the texture and temperature under my feet.

I am Tattgirl !!!! I am barefoot Bitch. !!!!

Suck me and fuck me if you dare BUT just dont tell me to wear shoes.

2 people like this.
  14. charlie35

charlie35 Member

Oh TG, what can I say!!! Just a shame you're the other side of the world lol.

I too am barefoot at work, which causes only favourable or at least intrigued comments. Yesterday's best one was "Can't believe you're still barefoot. You're very brave!"

15. quodlibet

quodlibet Member

Brought up in warm dessert, presumably. I mean, if you'd been brought up in ice cream or frozen yoghurt, then you'd probably be more used to wearing something on your feet (just as a means of warding off the cold, as much as anything).

1 person likes this.
  16. Quodlibet, what a constructive obervation!

17. quodlibet

quodlibet Member

It's not meant to be a "constructive obervation." It's meant as pedantic, counterpoint sarcasm. But then I'm forgetting, we've already been through this!

18. tattgirl

tattgirl Member

Lol well you miss the point and the freedom of speach and lifestyle if you are stopping to share any sarcasm oh snarky one. Yes was talking about dry desert but hey you mention a fine point. My man has shown me ice cream is a most pleasurable dessert to eat off feet. Well Charlie 35 I'm sure he knows how lucky he is to have a free barefoot bitch.

19. quodlibet

quodlibet Member

I call bluff. Free speech, as you say.