Which Do You Value More ~ Intelligence or Creativity? Why?

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by TattoedAquarian, Jan 23, 2005.

1. the drum

the drum Member

yeah, why cant we have both?

2. TattoedAquarian

TattoedAquarian Senior Member

~The Drum - The reason why i didn't want people choosing both was because my survey was trying to figure out which ages/sexes/races thought creativity was more important than intelligence and vice versa... I wan't more clear in my original post because i found that it influenced people's answers too much. - I already know what i think, so i really didn't want to just hear my thoughts said back to me everytime i asked someone... Do what you want though of course, i'm not the boss of you.

3. dayafterpuberty

dayafterpuberty Member

creativity, is strong in my life. Although intelligence can be put to good use, creativity can too. I think creativity would take me more places than intelligence would.

4. DrSpaceman

DrSpaceman Member

Tough question, but looking at it one way, I'd almost have to go with intelligence. GWB may not be as dumb as he looks, acts, speaks, etc., but I would never call him intelligent. Sly, maybe, probably, but not intelligent. On the other hand, look at his "creativity" when it comes to finding new ways to screw us!

5. TattoedAquarian

~DrSpcaeman - lol... Sad but true...

6. ImmortalDissident

ImmortalDissident Senior Member

I like scientific/mathematical intellegence... so in that sense I'd get both intellegence and creativity.

7. ~*HuggaTree*~

~*HuggaTree*~ Member

I'd have to agree with you. If you are creative that also means you are intelligent just in a whole other meaning. To create something differen't or unique would mean you have a differen't, personal, individual, mind. If you know what I am saying ;)

8. Syntax

Syntax Senior Member

I find that both intelligence and creativity are not defined well enough for me to choose. If you were to generalize, you'd imagine somebody solving complex integrals for intelligence and someone painting a picture for creativity, but this is not the case.

In order to be actually good at -anything- you have to be creative. If you are not, you can never invent anything new. Creativity required for a complex computer algorithm, for a new scientific discovery, for real math (not highschool or first year university math)...

At the same time, many artists have very little creativity but just follow trends of others, and techniques. You don't actually need "creativity" in order to do art, or poetry, or even write songs. You need it for them to be true quality, but society rarely cares about such little details.

So that's for creativity. But what's intelligence? Just being able to think logically? Most serious applications of logic require creativity. A common definition is something like "the Ability to acquire, retrieve, and use knowledge in a meaningful way; to understand concrete and abstract ideas; and to comprehend relationships among objects and ideas."

Well, while it sure is a good thing, intelligence without creativity is quite useless. Of course, you could find a job and get some nice cash using only your intelligence, and be quite proud of yourself, but nothing new will come out of you and you'll die leaving the world unchanged. Sucks, eh?

So, I'd go with creativity alone if I can only choose one, but real people have a balance of intelligence and creativity, and I'd like to have something like 75% creativity, and 25% intelligence, which is pretty much what I have right now, so I'm happy :p

9. jesikhaviolet

jesikhaviolet Member

creativity is intelligence

what everyone else calls intelligence, to me is just reciting facts
    creativity is applying facts to create something. be it composing a piece of music or drawing a picture. but the application of science to an invention, for example, is still creative, and is just as respectively creative to me... its just not my field of creativity

10. jesikhaviolet

jesikhaviolet Member

and vice versa

11. TattoedAquarian

~Syntax - Very interesting man... You Canadians usually seem to have rather insightful comments i've noticed.

~Jesikhaviolet - By all means i agree with you...

12. Ocean Byrd

Ocean Byrd Artificial Energy

Creativity; what is the point of having intelligence if you have no ability to communicate it? I am sadly stuck there, but I'm fairly creative. It's just casual communication that is a bit rough for me..

13. campfire-fly

campfire-fly Member

Einstein said, Imagination is more valuable than knowledge. I believe from my extensive studys of the human brain that intelligence and creativity are very closely linked, most highly intelligent people are also creative and most highly creative people have high intelligence.

Creativity isn't limited to artistic, creativity in life and thought are often very evident in highly intelligent people.

14. TattoedAquarian

~Ocean Byrd - It'll come to you in time if it's meant to man... I wouldn't worry about it too much if i were you.

~Lonewolf - Yeah, i love that quote. I have a poster of Einstein with that quote written on it as well... Best of luck with your studies!

15. Ocean Byrd

Ocean Byrd Artificial Energy

I'm not worried about it; I just have trouble communicating myself right now.

16. bedlam

bedlam Senior Member

Creativity because l like to see good things..

17. gate68

gate68 Senior Member

Prejudice was created.Inteligence nulifies it.

Peace like a river flowed through the valley.

18. Orsino2

Orsino2 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

"Be still like a mountain and flow like a great river." Lao Tse

19. lover/young_peace

lover/young_peace Senior Member

Intelligence is not measured by the facts one can memorize, but instead by what one can create.

20. TattoedAquarian

~Orsino2 - Oh yeah! - I've read "The Book of the Way" so many times in the past... Haven't in awhile though; thinking about doing so now though...