Where would you live?

Discussion in 'The Future' started by la Principessa, Jul 15, 2018.

1. la Principessa

la Principessa Old School HF Member

Where are you? And in the future, would you like to live somewhere else or stay where you are? If you could move wherever you want to.

I've been thinking about this lately. I have lived in Florida my whole life. My partner and I recently went on a road trip from here to Iowa. We drove through and stopped in every state along the way. Our destination was very close to Nebraska so we spent some time there as well. And I've also been to New York in the past. Out of everywhere I've been, I'm really liking Nebraska. And at first my partner and I joked about moving there. But as we did so more and more it seemed like a good idea. The rent is so much cheaper, and we'd have real seasons, the people are nicer, the area is gorgeous. And we know people there so we wouldn't be totally alone.

Maybe to decide I need to drive across the rest of the country because I've always wanted to go to Washington, and Oregon. I guess these are the more realistic options. Ideally though, I'd probably like to leave the country. I hate the ways things are being run and we're so divided, and so antiquated in certain ways while so progressive in others. Maybe Canada. At least I can have insurance so I can stop being terrified I'm going to catch something I need antibiotics for or worse.

jmadre and Irminsul like this.
  2. snowtiggernd

snowtiggernd Member

I go to Lincoln Nebraska a lot. It's nice.

la Principessa and Irminsul like this.
  3. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

4. Meliai

Meliai Banned

In the US? I'm pretty happy where I am. I think its one of the better examples of a small city in the US, plus the cost of living is low, the weather is nice, the people are friendly and i'm not far from the mountains or the beach

I wouldnt really be interested in trading it for another city of the same size. As far as larger cities, I hate sprawl so i'm not interested in cities with a huge metro area like LA, Atlanta, Houston. And I wouldnt want to struggle in a place with a high cost of living so that rules out New York, San Francisco, Seattle, Boston (although Boston is probably my favorite US city i've visited). Chicago might be okay, i have a friend that lives there and she loves it. The cost of living seems pretty low for a large city. The winter weather seems depressing though.

The one thing I dont like about living here is the infrastructure hasnt kept up with the population growth and it can get a bit congested. And i hate people. So i could see myself living in a less populated area with a lot of outdoor activities...maybe somewhere like Bozeman, Montana. Or somewhere in Idaho might work. But i think overall those places are better suited to visit.

Maine amd Vermont seem nice, but again with the winter weather. That also rules out Canada.

Outside of the US? There are a lot of places in Europe I would love to live. Maybe one day

5. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

I'm good.

I could see living in a less expensive and less trendy neighborhood, but I also hate change and am very resistant to it. It could be in my better interest to move, but I won't do it. I got my little corner of the world locked down. Why up end that?

6. Asmodean

^
    Same basically (one of the perks of my place in the city is that's it in a great location AND dirt cheap :)). I've enjoyed living here a lot! But I finally have to in the coming months because the landlord is trying to sell the house...

7. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i've noticed it's only people who don't have to live through winter every year who act like this is a good thing.

8. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

I assume the question means Where On Earth Would You Live? In the US I'd probably move back to Boise if I had a reason, a new job or whatnot. As a place to retire maybe Belize or New Zealand. I would love (I think) to be one of the first settlers on Mars though. A whole planet to ourselves, developing our on customs and culture, finally free of all Earth's lunacy...till we fucked Mars up too.

9. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

I'm happy where I am. I've lived here for most of my life, and there's a lot of cool things about it. It's not too far from the sea, the mountains, 2 different national parks. Plus, Southern Oregon isn't a mainstream location, so I see this place as a hidden treasure unbeknownst to people.

10. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

Are you in the state of Jefferson?

11. Deidre

Deidre Follow thy heart

I would live six months in NYC and six months in the south where I currently live, if I could. Or I would live in Italy or Iran, if it were safer. (six months not year round)

12. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Technically yes

13. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

I've got a great house on 8 acres... I'll stay here.

BUT I do want the fuckin' knuckle draggin' morons to move somewhere else.

14. RubySoho6

RubySoho6 Organized Chaos

I'm alright where I am but if I could move anywhere it would be Boston.

hotwater likes this.
  15. la Principessa

la Principessa Old School HF Member

I hate people too lol I always say it's best to live in the outskirts of a big city. You can socialize when you want, and retreat to your place where it's quiet.

I guess so. I've asked my friends in Nebraska about the conditions in winter. I'd love to not sweat my ass off 11 months of the year but I'm aware winter would be hard too. I'd like to see Autumn because that is a mythical season we just don't have here. Plus I'll have to get a whole new winter wardrobe. As of now my winter wardrobe consists of leggings, a jacket, a sweater, and long slacks.

16. Total Darkness

Total Darkness 100% Cocoa

I would like to move back to Florida. I had some of my best years there. I loved the atmosphere and warm weather. I lived pretty close to some of the best beaches in the Gulf Coast.

Out of the country, i really enjoyed Costa Rica. People there seem pretty happy and cheerful yet have very little. I much prefer tropical environments.

17. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Good Choice I live just west of the city and I wouldn’t want to live anywhere else.

Boston has seen such a growth spurt over the last 10 years it’s becoming unrecognizable.

While business is booming there’s a dark cloud looming over the horizon that city planners and politicians have been deliberating avoiding because they don’t want to do or say anything that might hurt or limit growth, and that’s flooding.

This past winter we had 3 consecutive nor’easters and there was unprecedented flooding in the seaport district that has never been seen before. If climate change in the form of global warming continues apace the area of the city that has seen the most growth will be underwater.

bigredinmass likes this.
  18. Asmodean

But physically?

Ged likes this.
  19. Asmodean

Unless you call the dutch!

20. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

831b9cdb470394e4e2bf8dd824e2294e.jpg